Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

From the top down.

John Harbaugh coaches not to lose and this is where the problem truly begins. Cam Cameron just happens to be a coordinator who schemes along the same philosophy. Cameron's philosophy is to rely heavily on the run. I will come back to this in a moment.

John Harbaugh is not a coach who will interfere with his coordinators. He lets them do their job. Now, while it is not Harbaugh job to step in and call the plays, it is his job to dictate the style that he wants his offense and defense to present in play. It's the coordinator's job to schematically make that style work.

Cam Cameron's version of this offensive system, again, relies on the power run. This is where a major issue has taken place.

In 2008 and 2009, the Baltimore Ravens could power run with the best of them. Once 2010 hit, it was clear that they couldn't power run anymore. Ray Rice has had some big runs here and there to make the numbers look respectable by league standards, but it's been going on three years since they have been able to consistently power run.

Thus, the system that Cameron runs has been flipped on it's head.

Cameron has struggled to make the passing offense work since then, because it relies so heavily on the play action. It's been homerun or bust.

If you combine this with Cameron's stubborn nature and well known need for control, you can then see why the passing offense sometimes struggles.

Between the two, when they are able to front run, they'll give Joe control and you'll see glimpses of plays that add dimensions to the offense. However, when things get tight, they coach tight and I believe it impacts the players.

Then you get to Joe. For the most part, I don't have much of an issue with Joe. I've defended him on here plenty. There are only three issues with Joe. He doesn't always feel the rush, he doesn't trust his protection (Thus, leading to high throws when he doesn't step into his passes) and he doesn't use his legs enough. Otherwise, Joe is fine.

Then, you have the offensive line which is also inconsistent. Oher has not been playing bad on the left side, but he has not been great either. Osemele has certainly had his ups and down. Birk is on his last legs and Reid is inexperienced as well.

The power run has partially struggled, because Rice is not a power running guy. You can try it with him here and there, if you have a guy to shoulder the 'power' load. It was McGahee. However, they didn't use Williams as much as many of us wanted to see and they aren't using Pierce as much either. Rice needs to be out in space more often, in motion, etc. Birk's struggles are really effecting his cutback ability.

One TE can catch his tail off and the other TE can't catch. Neither one of them can block that well and that also has a negative impact of what Rice has been able to do, cutback wise.

Leach is a Beast, end of story.

The WRs drop passes at some of the worst times. Passes that would automatically go for first downs. Passes on third down. They are doing a better job of this than last year, but they still don't make many catches that aren't right on them.

From the top down.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: From the top down.

I'm not sure if Jamal Lewis could power his way through behind this Oline.

Its going to take a couple of years to resolve these fundamental problems - and that's assuming that management recognizes the problems and takes the appropriate actions. I don't think that they'll be able to hide behind the "we were only one dropped pass away from the Superbowl" delusion this year.

Blog Entries

There is much to fix with this offense, in order for it to be a great offense. Even though Oher has played decent at LT, his best position is RT, which means that they would have to find a LT and I'm not sure that McKinnie is that guy, because his run blocking is the pits for one thing. Then, Osemele can move to LG and you have to be able to either develop Gradkowski for 2013 or take the high pick can't miss prospect if he falls. Don't even look at it as drafting a C in the first round. Look at how much of a difference that C could make to your offense.

They need a solid number 2 WR with size, hands, athleticism and physicality. Boldin has the physicality and 'decent' size, but his hands are slipping and his athleticism was hardly there to begin with. Jacoby Jones has the size and the speed, but lacks the hands and the physicality.

Then, they need a TE that can block his tail off and looks to knock someone's head off.

I think they are fine in all of the backfield areas.

Talent wise, that's what they need.

They need new assistants. Man, I miss Matsko.

The Coryell can work, but they need to add some Indianpolis element to it, using the quick passes to set up the deeper routes. That's the main thing that is missing in this offense. The quick slant over the middle. The quick crossing route over the middle, setting up the sluggo, etc.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post

They need new assistants. Man, I miss Matsko.
    What specifically about him do you miss?

It wasn't Matsko. It's not like he's lighting the world on fire in Carolina. In fact their o-line sucks.

The Ravens just had a lot more talent on the line when he was around. Jason Brown, Gaither (when he tried) and Grubbs provided a hell of a lot more options than what's on the roster now.

Blog Entries

we don't have the Oline and necessary personnel to run the power run game any more, this is where stubborn ass Harbaugh and Cam need to realize they need to change the scheme of things hence STOP PUTTING THE SQUARE PEG IN THE ROUND HOLE. THIS DUMMY HARBAUGH SAID IN HIS PRESS THE REASON WHY THIS TEAM IS 15-0 AFTER A LOSS IS BECAUSE THEY DON'T "CHANGE" ANYTHING..WTF JOHNNY??? DON'T SEE THATS EXACTLY WHY THIS TEAM ALWAY AND ALWAYS AND ALWAYS COME UP FUCKIN SHORT!!!!???? THIS SHIT IS STARTING TO PISS ME OFF TO AN ENDS!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post

They need a solid number 2 WR with size, hands, athleticism and physicality. Boldin has the physicality and 'decent' size, but his hands are slipping and his athleticism was hardly there to begin with. Jacoby Jones has the size and the speed, but lacks the hands and the physicality.
    I'd like to see what Doss can do. He's 6'3" 200lbs. Definitely not built as big as Boldin, but he is the type of guy you could use to work the middle of the field and move the chains. Boldin himself said we wouldn't miss him because we have Doss.

Blog Entries

Their desire for consistency and maintaining the same approach has left them a step behind with some decisions. ILB, C, OC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    THIS DUMMY HARBAUGH SAID IN HIS PRESS THE REASON WHY THIS TEAM IS 15-0 AFTER A LOSS IS BECAUSE THEY DON'T "CHANGE" ANYTHING..WTF JOHNNY???
    Consistency is great to have. But, consistently having flawed logic and a failure to recognize where change is needed is what is causing this team to fall short year after year.

This offense is set up to pass. The problem is that they are relying on nothing but basic, low percentage passes. Ray Rice is not a power runner, so if that's what they were going for then they shouldn't have paid him all of that money. Rice is great in the flat and on screens. Where have those gone this year? You don't just run them on 4th and 29. I do think Harbaugh has a very conservative philosophy, but I don't think he or any of his coordinators know how to implement it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    This offense is set up to pass. The problem is that they are relying on nothing but basic, low percentage passes. Ray Rice is not a power runner, so if that's what they were going for then they shouldn't have paid him all of that money. Rice is great in the flat and on screens. Where have those gone this year? You don't just run them on 4th and 29. I do think Harbaugh has a very conservative philosophy, but I don't think he or any of his coordinators know how to implement it.
    It drives me freaking insane.

Part of my concern though is how slow it seems for Joe to get rid of the ball. There are times that he seems to look for the WR to make a cut or get separation before he lets it go. For a quick pace you need to let it go before the receiver moves so that his separation is just as he changes his pattern. To wait is to give the defender the chance to close. And to not hit the receiver in stride means that he has to slow up and close the gap too. He sometimes seems to be in slow motion, which leaves him vulnerable for the sack/strip.

And that is part of Cam's problem IMHO as well. He is slow to pick up on things and takes too long to figure that somebody is having a bad day. If Joe is off, switch the plays until he gets warm. Do not keep running them just because that is what you planned all week. And clearly do not plan a scheme for players that are not able to do it.

The OL is also not built for a power run offense. It was shifted to a pass-happy bunch with quicker moves for the hurry-up, which leaves it vulnerable when you need to blow people off the ball.

I just think there is too much uncertainty in how to run the offense. Be AFC North style? Well, that is not the NFL right now, so let's get faster players. But you need Play-Action to make things happen, and if the defense figures it controls the line, it is not a threat. And when your QB does a half-hearted fake, it does not fool anybody. But you need bigger Lineman or better blocking schemes to control the line. OK, so maybe they will be part AFC North and part No-Huddle. But you have to know when to call the right one and to have players to do both. And the defense has to be able to handle the plan too.

Right now, it seems to be an exercise in yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater. The HC is the one responsible for getting things calm; and that can include telling the inmates to do their job.
    Captain Offense