Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Has RG3 changed your opinion of the Redskins?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I felt like RGIII would really be the difference and he has been.
    They mortgaged alot to move up and get him.
    Another team who did that season before was ATL with julio jones.

Totally the opposite of what ozzie does in stockpiling picks but its something the ravens should consider IMO if in flaccos potential franchise deal, he doesn't legitamately tear it up with a new OC.

hopefully we wouldn't be picking that high up that we would have to give up 2 drafts worthof picks.

It's funny how a lot of people aren't talking about how this was a very win now right move, but won't necessarily mean longterm success (as everybody on ESPN and in Virginia/DC seems to think). The Redskins are up against the cap, and will have very little draft support for the few couple of years. Remember how hard it was for the Bears to surround Cutler with talent when they traded away their next 2 first rounders for him? IMO, you build great teams through the draft, not through FA. When you start giving away your first rounders, you're in trouble.

Also, I think that RGIII is overperforming now. He was a 4 year starter (one was cut short by injury though) at Baylor, so he has more polish than a normal rookie would. Also, teams haven't really had to defend against fast, accurate QB's in the past. Especially one with great running games and systems taylored to them. RGIII is playing recklessly now and not worried about his career, just winning now. That may work for now, but once those hits start piling up, he'll either have to change to a play style that he's not ready for, or get ready for a short career.

And there's always the fact that the Redskins are always off-season champions, but love to find ways to lose.

Don't like the Deadskins. Never have liked the Deadskins. Never will like the Deadskins.

I will say that RGIII seems like a really good guy and the genuine article as a player. Washington doesn't deserve him.

Blog Entries

I grew up a Redskins fan because of a bunch of cousins and uncles being fans, but once Snyder took over and tried to be George Steinbrenner of the NFL my fandom fell off, being Orioles fan I wanted Baltimore to get a team, when they did the transition was seamless.

All that said, since then the Redskins have annoyed me. And not much will change my opinion of them while Snyder owns that team. The fact he pulled a fantasy football move, again, and was actually successful for once doesn't mean they'll be anything great anytime soon, better, sure but not Great.

As far as RGIII, I like him, a lot. Seems like a great person raised by good parents both serving our country. However, I HATE the media love-fest over him AND the fans RGIII chant over EVERY play. Hell they cheered his name when he fumbled Monday night. Because of the media love-fest and fans belief he's the second coming, I hope they stay in the shitter of the NFC. But I hope RGIII has at least a mildly successful career... as long as the team doesn't benefit too much.

Blog Entries

Nope, don't really care about the Skins, or RG3.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by londonraven View Post
    They mortgaged alot to move up and get him.
    Another team who did that season before was ATL with julio jones.

Totally the opposite of what ozzie does in stockpiling picks but its something the ravens should consider IMO if in flaccos potential franchise deal, he doesn't legitamately tear it up with a new OC.

hopefully we wouldn't be picking that high up that we would have to give up 2 drafts worthof picks.
    Ozzie learned under Belechick. He'd have to be absolutely certain about a player to give up the farm to get him. From what I've heard in interviews Ozzie is never absolutely certain about any draft pick. He plays it conservative and the balance ends up in his favor. If Ozzie ever decides to get out of football he'd probably make a pretty good money manager.

And another thing to add on about the Redskins. Usually it's hard to hate teams when they haven't done well for a long period of time. I usually reserve that for the dynasties, and the teams standing in our way. But the arrogance and how they forget the past so easily is what pisses me off. This isn't the first year that they've been bumping their chest claiming that they're going to the win the Super Bowl. They seem to do this almost every year. They even fail to recognize that we've put together a good franchise. They're basically the fan base that wouldn't die.

When the Orioles put together a losing team for all those years, we always recognized how our team was, and didn't talk trash when our team couldn't back it up. But the Redskins fanbase have always just been that Beagle who tries to the intimidate the Great Dane.

My heart still tells me that they'll find a way to screw up RGIII.

Blog Entries

I worked in Bethesda 5 years so I became familiar with the Skins.
    With the Indy Irsays, I no longer followed that team.

Doug Williams in SB XXII locked me in.
    I disliked Snyder's arrogance every bit as much as I dislike Cam's everybody elses fault.

That said, I got encouraged for the suffering Skins fans when Mike Shanahan came in with final say powers. I was extremely interested to see if he had another Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Gary, Bell.... up his sleeve and it took him 2 full years to unearth Alfred Morris in the 6th round. Rumors have it Shany finds RBs like Oz finds LBs

Yes RG3 is the buzz, and they did mortgage a lot but this is Shanahan's imprint and Snyder now being a sensible owner and not a Jerry Jones clone-clown. There is a fresh wind going on down there... and I feel good for them, let them win every game, except when they play us, I want them to lose that one.

I was considering them for SB before Orakpo and Carriker went down.... as well as they are playing with the next man up? Boy, if those next men up were the rotation instead of the starters they would be downright scary.... I know no rookie QB has won SB except for the seasoned rookie Kurt Warner

So to answer the OP question "Has RG3 changed your opinion of the Redskins? "
    No, Shanahan has returned opinion to Gibbs respect. RG3 helps the team skill but not my opinion
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Yeah. He helped turn our Week 14 game from a Gimme W to a Question Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I grew up a Redskins fan because of a bunch of cousins and uncles being fans, but once Snyder took over and tried to be George Steinbrenner of the NFL my fandom fell off, being Orioles fan I wanted Baltimore to get a team, when they did the transition was seamless.

All that said, since then the Redskins have annoyed me. And not much will change my opinion of them while Snyder owns that team. The fact he pulled a fantasy football move, again, and was actually successful for once doesn't mean they'll be anything great anytime soon, better, sure but not Great.

As far as RGIII, I like him, a lot. Seems like a great person raised by good parents both serving our country. However, I HATE the media love-fest over him AND the fans RGIII chant over EVERY play. Hell they cheered his name when he fumbled Monday night. Because of the media love-fest and fans belief he's the second coming, I hope they stay in the shitter of the NFC. But I hope RGIII has at least a mildly successful career... as long as the team doesn't benefit too much.
    This. Absolutely this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

That was pretty funny when the dumb Skins fans were chanting RG3! after he fumbled and someone else mopped up a TD for him.. That's when you know your fan base and team have been waiting a long time for a "star" player to come to town.

As for the Skins.. I say good for them. Those of us that are longsuffering O's fans know how exciting it is to finally have something to cheer for after years of losing. Danny Boy has been funny to laugh at over the years but I've never "hated" him. Cooke was the asshole who went out of his way to deny us a team with the Laurel stadium nonsense and the closed door stuff he had going on with Tags. I'll always hate the Cooke-skins and have always lauged at the Danny-Skins.. But again, good for them for finally finding a hero.. especially after Danny just got finished dismantling half the stadium due to fan apathy during his tenure. Something else to make you chuckle...

They're a team on the rise because of RGIII. Good for them. They're very fun to watch, but I'll never, ever root for them, period. There's all the JKC stuff and all that, plus the Mara support for our 1994 expansion bid means I'll never root for the Landover team (I root for the NYFG)

Some people think DCs proximity means you should root for all the teams in the area. Ask any real Mets fans if they root for the Yankees or vice versa. Are there really that many Raiders fans that root for the 49ers or vice versa?

Plus, their fans are one step down from Steelers' fans. They love to shove titles in your face, even though they don't have as many and haven't won one in 20 years.
    ---

Baltimore Colts (AAFC): 1947-1950
    Baltimore Colts (NFL): 1953-1984
    Baltimore Stars (USFL): 1985
    Baltimore Colts/Stallions (CFL): 1994-1995
    Baltimore Ravens (NFL): 1996-Present