SALARY CAP ANALYSIS: Signs point to franchise tag for Flacco in 2013

From none other than our own Brian McFarland, aka B'more-Ravor

LINK
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: SALARY CAP ANALYSIS: Signs point to franchise tag for Flacco in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    From none other than our own Brian McFarland, aka B'more-Ravor

LINK

I doubt Flacco will be a Raven next year. Time to move on.

Blog Entries

The good thing is of the RFA only two are worth bringing back, same for the ERFA. Of the UFA's you only need to be concerned about what to do with Reed, Flacco, Ellerbe and Considine.

Really the bottom line is the Ravens need a new accountant or something. Damnned if we aren't always at the cap while ther teams can do pretty much anything they want in the offseason, look south for example. Of course I'm not arguing signing all the big name FA's as that has never worked for tem, but damnned if other teams always have way more flexibility than we do year after year. How NE does it also beats me.

Anyways, in any case the hope is the Flacco camp will take what was offered before which seem's more than reasonable for what he is producing. Maybe they'll realize that staying here and having your name relevant is better than an extra mil or 2 a year and going to the Jag's or some other attrocious desperate team that will never see the post season again.

If we have to tag Flacco the reality is next year is going to be a down year and you can almost forget the postseason. Without being able to upgrade and address the serious issues we have and having to part ways with pretty good players it's going to be ugly. Think we have sub standard players now? Wait till be can't go and get that DE we really need, or have to cut Boldin, or can't go get another decent CB, etc....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    And replace him with whom exactly?

Is that what you want and if so who would you replace him with?

Honestly, the way I'm seeing it, this season, either Cam is going to be gone or Flacco is going to be gone. We infused our offense with a huge amount of talent, and we're still coming up short. The question is, who does the FO think is at fault? No one is going to drop their OC in the middle of the season, because its suicidal. However, I'm of the opinion that change is coming this offseason in one way or another. There just isn't any excuses left.

So which way will the Ravens swing? I think Flacco gets a nice contract that he doesn't currently deserve, but could possibly under a different offensive system, and the Ravens try and see what they can make happen. Or possibly, I'm just a dreamer.

Quote Originally Posted by CptJesus View Post
    I think Flacco gets a nice contract that he doesn't currently deserve, but could possibly under a different offensive system, and the Ravens try and see what they can make happen. Or possibly, I'm just a dreamer.
    I like this dream. I also agree with your logic.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

To the first statement, why? To the second, I am a little in awe of how nonchalant you'd be if that were to happen.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Assumption #1: Cammie is not re-up'd in 2013
    Assumption #2: Hire an innovative and creative OC
    Assumption #3: Stevie calibrates Harbs with the message: Do no harm to the offense...and oh by the way, you're on notice
    Assumption #4: Tag Joe

Hypothesis: Joe may become a major statistical, top-8 QB at the end of the 2013 campaign.

Method #1: Design an offensive scheme around Joe's strengths
    Method #2: Optimize the new offense (by any means: trade, inexpensive FAs and the Draft) while only addressing one of two critical defensive deficiencies; and realize that dumping some salary will be necessary for a full Offense Optimization. This also includes acquiring a 3rd QB before August begins.

So what I think I'm trying to say here is that if we tag #5 then the 2013 season is essentially a $14M closed laboratory experiment in which just about everything should be focused on generating the best outcome (positive or negative) possible. I think it pretty much has to be that way or you are wasting;
    1) $14M, plus...
    2) the monetary and competitive value of the players cut or not re-signed (Ray, Ed, Boldin, Jacoby, Leach (yeah him...who knows what the new OC is going to want to do)), plus...
    3) there's an enormous opportunity cost of performing a half-assed experiment, not getting the best outcome possible, and parting ways with Joe in 2014 only to see him take some other franchise to the 2-3 SBs over the next 6-7 years.

Either way...via the tag or a long-term deal, I think we're looking at a "bet the franchise" decision with Joe, and the FO owes it to him, the locker room and fans to set him up for maximum success.

From the article:

but it’s questionable whether he deserves to be part of the $100M club, which includes QBs like Michael Vick (6 years/$100M/32M guaranteed), Philip Rivers (7 years/$98.5M/$38M guaranteed) and Eli Manning (7 years/$107M/$35M guaranteed).
    Unfortunately for the Ravens, it's not Joe's fault Michael Vick and Philip Rivers have been vastly overpaid. And Michael Vick moreso than Rivers. Joe Flacco is, and has been, better than Michael Vick at almost any point in Vick's career, minus the rushing yards which really is all Vick has. The Eagles screwed themselves and are paying the price for it.

I've said in another thread they aren't going to pay Joe on his past stats. They are going to pay him on what they think he can do to get them to win a SuperBowl. And like it or not, last year he put the team in position to do just that. So if they believe he is going to do that again, they are going to pay him based on that.

The other unfortunate part is that if the Ravens go back to the playoffs and get past the first round, I think that almost guarantees Cam Cameron will be back too. How can you fire the OC of a team that has made the playoffs 5 years in a row? And that's not my thinking, I want him gone. But Harbaugh, and I bet Ozzie and Bisciotti think that way. And if they make it deep in the playoffs, they will forget about the Steelers game.

This is just what I believe the reality is. $100 million? No. But Rivers money? If Philip Rivers can get $98 million to be overrated and flame out every year, it fair that Joe should get something close to that for being a playoff QB who can win games on the road.

Blog Entries

I dont consider manning, rivers, ryan, vick (seriously?), or cutler and even roethlisberger (at least as a passer) "elite" qbs. I see them as comparable players. Again comparing him to manning, brees, rodgers and brady hes not going to stack up to well but saying hes not worth 100 mil compared to those others i dont see how he isnt. Cutler and ryan are unknowns since their deals are up too but is anyone really taking vick over flacco? Have we not seen the statistics eli has put up compared to flacco being damn mirror images (without the talented wrs hes benefited from), and anyony that wants rivers and his 35ints the last two years while complaining about flaccos decision making is delusional. Fact is flacco is still in that second tier and ill continue to argue that hes doing it with a shittier offense and less weapons than any of the others. Hes worth without question a 100+/- contract similar to those others as is. If it saves money to improve a flawed team as well then its really no question.
    -JAB

12. Re: SALARY CAP ANALYSIS: Signs point to franchise tag for Flacco in 2013

Flacco's going to get top 10--but not top 5--QB money.

The question is will it be the Ravens paying him or someone else.