Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,030
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Why Ray Rice is not getting the BALL more..



    I just don't see a coach risking losses which could cost him his job so a player doesn't hit a bonus. Maybe if the team already sucks and the GM is pushing for it but not on a winning team.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,337
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why Ray Rice is not getting the BALL more..

    Part of the situation is that they are trying to save Rice for the stretch run. Another aspect to this, isn't how many times his number is being called, but how his number is being called. That draw, off of the play fake, was not something that they do often with Rice. They've been, more or less, trying to use Rice the way they should be using Pierce. Rice needs to get out in space more.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,742

    Re: Why Ray Rice is not getting the BALL more..

    Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,533
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why Ray Rice is not getting the BALL more..

    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Let me caveat that. Cam doesn't call Rice's number consistently during games. Cam pulled the disappearing act with Rice after Rice just gashed the Steelers on runs including a TD run.
    It is a mystery. Cam seems to be channeling Marchibroda and Cavanaugh, which, if he is, explains much.

    Under Marchibroda, we'd build a double-digit lead by the half, and Bam Morris would have 80 yards rushing. We'd lose the game in the second half, and Morris would finish with less than 90 yards total, and carried the ball only once or twice. Meanwhile, Rosey Potts would have caught four swing passes for a net gain of -10, all in the second half.

    Under Cavanaugh, Grbac hit Ismail on a crossing route for a 63 yard touchdown in the second or third game of the season, and we never saw that route by Ismail again...




  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,262

    Re: Why Ray Rice is not getting the BALL more..

    If he reaches specific rushing/receiving targets in any of the first three years of the deal, AND if the team finishes in the top 10 in total offense, Rice receives a $1 million incentive in he year he accomplishes the feat — and another $4 million is spread over the remaining years of the deal.
    We're currently 19th in total offense, so Ray Rice's targets are irrelevant anyway.




  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,742

    Re: Why Ray Rice is not getting the BALL more..

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    We're currently 19th in total offense, so Ray Rice's targets are irrelevant anyway.
    Maybe that's why Harbuagh is ultra-conservative to avoid being in the Top 10 and paying Rice an extra mill?



    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Right Where I need to be
    Posts
    1,573

    Re: Why Ray Rice is not getting the BALL more..

    So now that we have that out of the way...

    How in the F does Ray Rice not touch the ball more???

    How is it that this continues to be an issue this year???

    How is it that Harbaugh earlier in the year said we need to get the ball more in the hands of Ray Rice.

    Who the FK is in charge of this big pile of Horseshit that keeps happening???




  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,453
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Why Ray Rice is not getting the BALL more..

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I just don't see a coach risking losses which could cost him his job so a player doesn't hit a bonus. Maybe if the team already sucks and the GM is pushing for it but not on a winning team.
    It's happened before.

    Back during the Black Sox scandal when the White Sox threw the world series they had a pitcher who was promised a $10,000 bonus for winning 30 games. He got up to 28 wins with
    about 3 weeks left, an easy accomplishment for him.

    But Comiskey, the Sox owner didn't want to pay him the bonus so he ordered the manager
    to bench him. When the pitcher complained the manager said he was saving him for the
    series.

    That's why he took part in throwing the game.

    I don't think Bisciotti would ever do that because he wants that trophy more than anyone
    and has ordered Ozzie to spend right up to the cap.

    Benching Ray to save money just doesn't add up for the Ravens but Cam benching him cause he's
    pissed does add up. I think w/o looking it up that the rookie RB has more carries than Ricky Williams
    last year and McGahee before that.




  9. #24

    Re: Why Ray Rice is not getting the BALL more..

    I think that Ray Rice doesn't get enough 'touches' for most fans liking is that, he is really not a good short yardage back.




  10. #25

    Re: Why Ray Rice is not getting the BALL more..

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    So now that we have that out of the way...

    How in the F does Ray Rice not touch the ball more???

    How is it that this continues to be an issue this year???

    How is it that Harbaugh earlier in the year said we need to get the ball more in the hands of Ray Rice.

    Who the FK is in charge of this big pile of Horseshit that keeps happening???
    I can answer all of those questions in two words...Cam Cameron




  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern PA
    Posts
    5,056
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Why Ray Rice is not getting the BALL more..

    Has there ever been a play with Rice and Pierce in the backfield? If not, why not?




  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,944
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why Ray Rice is not getting the BALL more..

    Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    +1
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,855
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why Ray Rice is not getting the BALL more..

    Not really buying this much. How much do you think that the Ravens would lose by not hosting a playoff game versus hosting one? 5 million? 10 million? If you take 70,000 fans times $200/fan (a reasonable estimate for a playoff game). That's $14million right there.


    Keeping your best, and most consistent offensive player from touching the ball to save $1 million here or there really doesn't even make financial sense. I realize there are cap ramifications as well, in addition to strict ones of dollars and sense, but either way, it sounds like nonsense to me.




  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,855
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why Ray Rice is not getting the BALL more..

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    It's happened before.

    Back during the Black Sox scandal when the White Sox threw the world series they had a pitcher who was promised a $10,000 bonus for winning 30 games. He got up to 28 wins with
    about 3 weeks left, an easy accomplishment for him.

    But Comiskey, the Sox owner didn't want to pay him the bonus so he ordered the manager
    to bench him. When the pitcher complained the manager said he was saving him for the
    series.

    That's why he took part in throwing the game.

    I don't think Bisciotti would ever do that because he wants that trophy more than anyone
    and has ordered Ozzie to spend right up to the cap.

    Benching Ray to save money just doesn't add up for the Ravens but Cam benching him cause he's
    pissed does add up. I think w/o looking it up that the rookie RB has more carries than Ricky Williams
    last year and McGahee before that.
    Not sure that something from 93 years ago is totally relevant today, but good memory....for the most part.

    The pitcher you are thinking of is Eddie Cicotte, who was an outstanding righthander for the ChiSox. He actually won 29 games in 1919 and, although never proven, the urban legend is that Chicago manager Kid Gleason was told to sit him for the last 5 games of the season to remove any chance of him receiving that $10,000 bonus.

    If I recall correctly, the $10,000 bonus was more than his entire yearly salary, so this wasn't exactly the same thing. It wasn't a case of a millionaire losing a bonus that comprised 5-10% of his yearly salary. This was a massive bonus in those years. Cicotte would almost certainly be in Coopertown right now if not for his association with the fix. It's a shame.




  15. #30

    Re: Why Ray Rice is not getting the BALL more..

    Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    I think that Ray Rice doesn't get enough 'touches' for most fans liking is that, he is really not a good short yardage back.
    Not supported by the facts:

    Here is how some of the top NFL RBs do on 3 and 1-2 to go:

    Adrian Petersen 11-106 but one carry was 90 yards for a TD so that leaves 10-16
    Marshawn Lynch 7-1
    Doug Martin 8-5
    Alfred Morris 10- (-1)
    Arian Foster 22-81
    Jamaal Charles 3-2
    Stevan Ridley 13-56
    Frank Gore 9-12
    Ray Rice 11-28

    FYI, last year Rice had 17-147 on 3rd and 2 or less. For his career, Rice has 47-277 on 3rd and 2 or less. That is almost 6YPC over his career on 3rd and short.

    Bad short yardage back is a myth.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland