Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Why Ray Rice is not getting the BALL more..

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    So now that we have that out of the way...

How in the F does Ray Rice not touch the ball more???

How is it that this continues to be an issue this year???

How is it that Harbaugh earlier in the year said we need to get the ball more in the hands of Ray Rice.

Who the FK is in charge of this big pile of Horseshit that keeps happening???
    I can answer all of those questions in two words...Cam Cameron

Blog Entries

Has there ever been a play with Rice and Pierce in the backfield? If not, why not?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    +1

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Not really buying this much. How much do you think that the Ravens would lose by not hosting a playoff game versus hosting one? 5 million? 10 million? If you take 70,000 fans times $200/fan (a reasonable estimate for a playoff game). That's $14million right there.

Keeping your best, and most consistent offensive player from touching the ball to save $1 million here or there really doesn't even make financial sense. I realize there are cap ramifications as well, in addition to strict ones of dollars and sense, but either way, it sounds like nonsense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    It's happened before.

Back during the Black Sox scandal when the White Sox threw the world series they had a pitcher who was promised a $10,000 bonus for winning 30 games. He got up to 28 wins with
    about 3 weeks left, an easy accomplishment for him.

But Comiskey, the Sox owner didn't want to pay him the bonus so he ordered the manager
    to bench him. When the pitcher complained the manager said he was saving him for the
    series.

That's why he took part in throwing the game.

I don't think Bisciotti would ever do that because he wants that trophy more than anyone
    and has ordered Ozzie to spend right up to the cap.

Benching Ray to save money just doesn't add up for the Ravens but Cam benching him cause he's
    pissed does add up. I think w/o looking it up that the rookie RB has more carries than Ricky Williams
    last year and McGahee before that.
    Not sure that something from 93 years ago is totally relevant today, but good memory....for the most part.

The pitcher you are thinking of is Eddie Cicotte, who was an outstanding righthander for the ChiSox. He actually won 29 games in 1919 and, although never proven, the urban legend is that Chicago manager Kid Gleason was told to sit him for the last 5 games of the season to remove any chance of him receiving that $10,000 bonus.

If I recall correctly, the $10,000 bonus was more than his entire yearly salary, so this wasn't exactly the same thing. It wasn't a case of a millionaire losing a bonus that comprised 5-10% of his yearly salary. This was a massive bonus in those years. Cicotte would almost certainly be in Coopertown right now if not for his association with the fix. It's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    I think that Ray Rice doesn't get enough 'touches' for most fans liking is that, he is really not a good short yardage back.
    Not supported by the facts:

Here is how some of the top NFL RBs do on 3 and 1-2 to go:

Adrian Petersen 11-106 but one carry was 90 yards for a TD so that leaves 10-16
    Marshawn Lynch 7-1
    Doug Martin 8-5
    Alfred Morris 10- (-1)
    Arian Foster 22-81
    Jamaal Charles 3-2
    Stevan Ridley 13-56
    Frank Gore 9-12
    Ray Rice 11-28

FYI, last year Rice had 17-147 on 3rd and 2 or less. For his career, Rice has 47-277 on 3rd and 2 or less. That is almost 6YPC over his career on 3rd and short.

Bad short yardage back is a myth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    It's happened before.

Back during the Black Sox scandal when the White Sox threw the world series they had a pitcher who was promised a $10,000 bonus for winning 30 games. He got up to 28 wins with
    about 3 weeks left, an easy accomplishment for him.

But Comiskey, the Sox owner didn't want to pay him the bonus so he ordered the manager
    to bench him. When the pitcher complained the manager said he was saving him for the
    series.

That's why he took part in throwing the game.

I don't think Bisciotti would ever do that because he wants that trophy more than anyone
    and has ordered Ozzie to spend right up to the cap.

Benching Ray to save money just doesn't add up for the Ravens but Cam benching him cause he's
    pissed does add up. I think w/o looking it up that the rookie RB has more carries than Ricky Williams
    last year and McGahee before that.
    And you'd be off base. Pierce has 59 carries. That's about 5 per game. Which means he's not even on pace for 100 carries this season.

Williams got 108 last year. Willis had an even 100 his last year here and he probably would have matched his total from the year before (109) if he hadn't missed a game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
    Not supported by the facts:

Here is how some of the top NFL RBs do on 3 and 1-2 to go:

Adrian Petersen 11-106 but one carry was 90 yards for a TD so that leaves 10-16
    Marshawn Lynch 7-1
    Doug Martin 8-5
    Alfred Morris 10- (-1)
    Arian Foster 22-81
    Jamaal Charles 3-2
    Stevan Ridley 13-56
    Frank Gore 9-12
    Ray Rice 11-28

FYI, last year Rice had 17-147 on 3rd and 2 or less. For his career, Rice has 47-277 on 3rd and 2 or less. That is almost 6YPC over his career on 3rd and short.

Thank you for sharing this. +1.

9. Re: Why Ray Rice is not getting the BALL more..

Ray Rice is an excellent short yardage back.

As long as there is a crack somewhere for him to squeeze through or there's enough push from the blockers in front of him that when he adds his own push to the mix, he's able to force his way forward for a few yards.

What he is not is Jamal Lewis or Jerome Bettis: the type of big power back who consistently moves piles himself. If his blockers get pushed back into him, Ray usually goes nowhere unless he can bounce it to the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBob View Post

You're going to make me rage even more when I see that 3rd and 2 shotgun again. I think I found the real reason. Someone doesn't want to get passed on the all-time yards from scrimmage list. rice.png

Blog Entries

Except this same shit was happening before Rice signed the new contract.

Summary of the problem - you can't fix stupid.

Cam just doesn't know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. He's knowledgeable, just not intelligent. He's a dumb guy who can't outwit a donkey, but he's spent thousands of hours in a film room, so via the Peter Principle, he rose to become an offensive coordinator (and disastrously, a HC, briefly, thus providing additional evidence of the Principle at work).

He's a "plugger" not a genius.

He can know all the X's and O's he wants, the problem is he's just a fucking dumbass who consistently gets outwitted by smarter people.

Most of us get through life without this being a problem, because we aren't in situations where scores are kept, and so our decisions, and their effects, cannot be so easily traced to results like yards, points, and wins. We get out-foxed, we probably never realize it. Cam gets out-foxed, and we can break it down on game film forever.

We don't need a radical shift in offensive philosophy. We just need somebody smart enough to realize that those milk bottles at the carnival are designed not to fall down, and who won't spend all day throwing balls at them wondering why they keep staying up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Not sure that something from 93 years ago is totally relevant today, but good memory....for the most part.

The pitcher you are thinking of is Eddie Cicotte, who was an outstanding righthander for the ChiSox. He actually won 29 games in 1919 and, although never proven, the urban legend is that Chicago manager Kid Gleason was told to sit him for the last 5 games of the season to remove any chance of him receiving that $10,000 bonus.

If I recall correctly, the $10,000 bonus was more than his entire yearly salary, so this wasn't exactly the same thing. It wasn't a case of a millionaire losing a bonus that comprised 5-10% of his yearly salary. This was a massive bonus in those years. Cicotte would almost certainly be in Coopertown right now if not for his association with the fix. It's a shame.
    Absolutely he would and that was a lot of money in those days. The average salary was aroun $600 pr yr for a working stiff.

My grandfather made about $1,000 pr yr as a plumbing contractor.That bonus was about twice his anuual salary which was one of the best.

I couldn't remember the names but he had a big mortgage to pay on his farm and needed the bonus.

Cominsky was a mean owner and the real reason why they threw the series.
    Shoeless Joe Jackson was the greatest hitter of the day and Babe Ruth said he copied him 100% but he went out in disgrace too.

The reason they were called the Black Sox is because back in those days the players had to pay to clean their own uniforms which cost a lot of money they didn't have. Most players worked in the factories and mines during the off season.

So the players refused to wash their uniforms and played in dirty ones and a writer quipped they were Black Socks and the name stuck.

The scandal added a double meaning to the name.

I beg to differ though. I bet there are some owners that still do that. I bet that Charlie Finley did that back in the 70s and 80s. He tried to trade the entire freaking team than pay them and he traded Reggie Jackson to us who ended up in NY of course.

Im just saying that Bisciotti isn't cheap like that and will spend to win another trophy.

We're lucky to have him.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 12-06-2012 at 12:52 PM.