Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Overpaying Flacco could sink the Ravens

They shouldn't overpay him but they are going to have to, or franchise him and not be able to make any other moves this offseason. Mike & Mike were discussing this morning about how there isn't going to be much available in FA and the draft this year. I won't even entertain the thought of them bringing in Vick because doing so would void my allegiance to Ravens until he is off the team, so you are left with a guy like (potentially) Alex Smith, Jason Campbell, or Tavaris Jackson. Not exactly appealing options, regardless of how you feel about Flacco.

This isn't an offseason where you have Peyton Manning out there in free agency, and an elite crop of QBs coming out in the draft...they are pretty much forced to keep Flacco someway. At this point, I'd probably just franchise him, see what he can do under a better offensive coordinator, and reevaluate next offseason.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

If I was Joe Flacco id give them two contracts id agree to. One with Cam one without. without being what he actually wants and with being astronomically high. Maybe thats what he is doing which is why hes "holding out for more" knowing Cam was here regardless this season. One can only hope.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    Cutler's made of glass, Palmer's old, declining, plus never won in the playoffs and if they signed Vick I would probably stop watching the Raven's altogether.
    Couldn't say it better myself.

What Tony said earlier, "right player, right price". In my mind there's no question Joe is the right player for this franchise going forward however his price needs to land somewhere close to those of Cassell/Schaub/Fitzpatrick and no where near Manning/Brady/Brees.
    While I'm dissappointed with Joe's up and down season (some of that attributed to Cam) I'm looking forward to the possibility of Joe operating under a new OC who brings creativity and a system that caters to the strength of it's personnel. We can't go back to the days of really bad QB play in this QB driven league.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    What Tony said earlier, "right player, right price". In my mind there's no question Joe is the right player for this franchise going forward however his price needs to land somewhere close to those of Cassell/Schaub/Fitzpatrick and no where near Manning/Brady/Brees.
    While I'm dissappointed with Joe's up and down season (some of that attributed to Cam) I'm looking forward to the possibility of Joe operating under a new OC who brings creativity and a system that caters to the strength of it's personnel. We can't go back to the days of really bad QB play in this QB driven league.
    Here's a problem. You basically have 15 other teams that currently have "really bad QB" play. So you have 15 GMs/coaches/coordinators looking at Flacco and saying, "I can fix that...and we'll pay him top dollar to prove it." As much as I would like to think that Flacco's inconsistent play would drive his price down, I really don't think it will.

I think the Ravens really messed this up by not giving Flacco at least one year without Cameron.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    As much as I would like to think that Flacco's inconsistent play would drive his price down, I really don't think it will.

I think the Ravens really messed this up by not giving Flacco at least one year without Cameron.
    Flacco's play won't drive the price down for the reason you said. There are a lot of teams with crap QB's and Flacco would be a huge upgrade for them. Look at what Kevin Kolb, Matt Flynn, Matt Cassel and others got contract wise. It's very hard to find a good QB.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Here's a problem. You basically have 15 other teams that currently have "really bad QB" play. So you have 15 GMs/coaches/coordinators looking at Flacco and saying, "I can fix that...and we'll pay him top dollar to prove it." As much as I would like to think that Flacco's inconsistent play would drive his price down, I really don't think it will.

Agree. There would be a strong Market for Joe no doubt and seeing him go and thrive in another system would kill this fanbase more so than Lee Evan's drop pass in last year's championship game.

Blog Entries

Ravens fucked up on this one for years we never had a decent QB so we don't know how to handle these situation its like Wicked said a few post back, they don't know what they have with Joe, under Cam system joe doesn't fit, now its his contract year under the same system and he has regressed, now they don't know what he could have looked like in other system to further evaluate if this is the real Joe or is there more to Joe. They should have shit canned Cam last season and go with someone new that way they could see where they are at with Joe. Now the question is what are they going to do, they got some tough decisions to make, Ed Reed could be gone, Ray could be gone, Jones, Boldin and then they have the unkown of Flacco can he get better with a new system? or is he going be the same ole average Joe?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Ravens fucked up on this one for years we never had a decent QB so we don't know how to handle these situation its like Wicked said a few post back, they don't know what they have with Joe, under Cam system joe doesn't fit, now its his contract year under the same system and he has regressed, now they don't know what he could have looked like in other system to further evaluate if this is the real Joe or is there more to Joe. They should have shit canned Cam last season and go with someone new that way they could see where they are at with Joe. Now the question is what are they going to do, they got some tough decisions to make, Ed Reed could be gone, Ray could be gone, Jones, Boldin and then they have the unkown of Flacco can he get better with a new system? or is he going be the same ole average Joe?
    Agreed. They really screwed up by not canning Cameron last year. I wanted them to take a look at Bruce Arians and look at what he is doing in Indy now.

IMHO, the Ravens royally fucked themselves by not firing Cam 2 years ago.

There is an underlying belief (a strong one by many fans on this board) that Joe just isn't going to get any better under this system with Cam. That's really all it is though...belief.

They had a chance to really see what they have a couple years ago...to see for sure. Personally, while I think Cam is holding Joe back to a degree, I also think that Joe has some real imitations. That said, now the team is really backed into a corner here.

This isn't the Chargers situation where they could let go of an above average Drew Brees (that's really all he was at the time). They had invested a top 4 pick for Rivers who had sat for 2 years in preparation for the starting job.

We don't have anybody and would likely have to go with freaking Tyrod Taylor or a random rookie who wouldn't be a high draft pick.

So they have to sign him and he has the organization by the balls and they know it...and it's all their fault.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Non-story. Joe has shown the brilliance to win games despite the idiot Harbaugh and his lackey Cam Cameron.

Hopefully we will get coaching here that has no fear to pull the trigger. Peyton Manning would look like shit under this regime.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Non-story. Joe has shown the brilliance to win games despite the idiot Harbaugh and his lackey Cam Cameron.

Hopefully we will get coaching here that has no fear to pull the trigger. Peyton Manning would look like shit under this regime.
    I don't think anyone could really argue against this. I mean Manning might make a few better decisions here and there, like choosing not to throw a deep ball, but everytime I see Joe chuck one deep, no one is really open underneath.