Pass Targets and Completion %

I wanted to get an idea of where pass attempts are going, who they are going to, and what the completion % looks like, so I put together these charts..

The numbers are pulled from the Pass Targets chart for each games box score on http://pro-football-reference.com (I manually tallied the Pitt game that wasn't on there).

This one shows where pass attempts have actually gone to:

And this one shows Completions/Targets(Completion %) per receiver to those areas:

You can take from it what you want, I just thought it would be interesting to see.

Re: Pass Targets and Completion %

Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
    I wanted to get an idea of where pass attempts are going, who they are going to, and what the completion % looks like, so I put together these charts..

The numbers are pulled from the Pass Targets chart for each games box score on http://pro-football-reference.com (I manually tallied the Pitt game that wasn't on there).

This one shows where pass attempts have actually gone to:

And this one shows Completions/Targets(Completion %) per receiver to those areas:

You can take from it what you want, I just thought it would be interesting to see.

Nice work. Looking at the Short Middle data (slant territory) is embarrassing. Rice checkdowns are the leading target. Boldin and Pitta averaging about a single target per game only in short middle. No one else worth talking about in that area.

Re: Pass Targets and Completion %

The entire team is less efficient, in some cases substantially so, throwing to the left. Could that be simply because it's Flacco's blind side? That explanation doesn't seem very strong.

The deep connection to Torrey Smith is really alarming. This chart doesn't differentiate by actual depth of target, and I definitely suspect Torrey's is way higher than anyone else's, but the completion percentage to Torrey is substantially lower than the average to all parts of the field. If Flacco and Torrey can't get on the same page I doubt this offense will get any better.

Hitting on deep passes is as much about timing and chemistry as it is accuracy, and they're just not getting better at any of those things. Flacco's downfield accuracy is still inconsistent, Torrey's route running and ball tracking are still poor. The ENTIRE OFFENSE is built around the threat of Torrey taking the top off the defense, so why aren't they making it work? I know it's hard, but it's like they're not even practicing.