Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: The Giants lost to the Bengals, the 49ers to the Rams, and the Steelers to Oakland and Tennessee...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Hey man, I am all over the threads, I can only cover so much Harbaugh love.

There is a large portion, not all, but a large portion of fans mirror our head coach. Even at this point, so does the owner Steve Bisciotti.

Success in the NFL is often based off of wins. John has a lot. So many that he is safe in regards to what the owner wants. That chance, the glimmer of hope to maybe one day to win a Super Bowl. It does take a bit of luck aside from being good.

But being good, being really, really good, in football, in life, in business can be enough. In fact, it can make you very, very, rich.

But to be the best, the greatest, the one that stands above all others and can say, I am better than everyone else takes something more than being good. It demands more.

We do not have that in a head coach. He is from the tree of almost. Bo Schembechler or Andy Ried, take your pick. Winning it all is not his pedigree. Never has been, never will be.

I need not compare him to previous coaches or current coaches, I need only watch the flow of the game, the X's and O'x, the favorable player match-ups that are missed or squandered opportunities, be it 30 seconds at a half or the mismanagement of timeouts on foolish challenges. I get to watch a quarterback who has all the tools, be doubted in his contract year because of a superseding commitment to mediocrity in an offensive coordinator who is stuck in 1974.

But again, there has been great success. I attribute this to the PLAYERS. Our players are simply better than most. Ozzie Newsome is getting a lot of flak now, but I say it is unwarranted, talent wise we have it.

So being good based upon riding the talent of this team is what John Harbaugh's resume is. Pruple Kool-Aid drinking fans will call me the hater, which is fine. John Harbaugh had the great pleasure to step into a well stocked team and run it. Let's see how well that would go over in Buffalo or Cleveland.

Good head coaches win a lot of games. Great head coaches win Super Bowls, they don't lose home games to 3rd string quarterbacks by kneeling on the ball at the half.
    I gotta disagree with you here. Capt. I know you are a big fan of Brainy Brian and his flash in the pan style of coaching, but I think slow and steady wins the race.

Look at Cowher, probably the most well regarded head coach of the modern era. Ok outside of Belicheck, but that guy is a known cheater. It took him a long time, but Cowher won the big one. And he won enough games along the way to always have that spark of hope. it wasn't 11-5 one year then 5-11 the next.

We've been on that roller coaster before, this one is more fun.

Blog Entries

Re: The Giants lost to the Bengals, the 49ers to the Rams, and the Steelers to Oakland and Tennessee...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    I gotta disagree with you here. Capt. I know you are a big fan of Brainy Brian and his flash in the pan style of coaching, but I think slow and steady wins the race.

Look at Cowher, probably the most well regarded head coach of the modern era. Ok outside of Belicheck, but that guy is a known cheater. It took him a long time, but Cowher won the big one. And he won enough games along the way to always have that spark of hope. it wasn't 11-5 one year then 5-11 the next.

We've been on that roller coaster before, this one is more fun.
    Cause slow and steady won in Kansas City, Philly? Give me a roller coaster to win a Super Bowl every 5 years rather than 10 years of winning everything but a Championship.

Winning a Lombardi is everything, the team, the players, the city is imortalized in the NFL. Everyone else is forgotten. This coach is not going to get us to the promised land.

Slow and steady? Yeah, the shitty ass Colts went through 1 losing season in how many and are now on the verge of the playoffs after blowing up the team and jettisoning one of the greatest quarterbacks EVER. Slow and steady my ass. Here and now is what it is.

3. Re: The Giants lost to the Bengals, the 49ers to the Rams, and the Steelers to Oakland and Tennessee...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Cause slow and steady won in Kansas City, Philly? Give me a roller coaster to win a Super Bowl every 5 years rather than 10 years of winning everything but a Championship.

Slow and steady? Yeah, the shitty ass Colts went through 1 losing season in how many and are now on the verge of the playoffs after blowing up the team and jettisoning one of the greatest quarterbacks EVER. Slow and steady my ass. Here and now is what it is.
    Slow and steady works too.

But only when there's progress.

Otherwise you get the Andy Reid era Eagles or the Schottenheimer/Turner Chargers or the Lovie Smith Bears or the Harb...and I'll stop with the examples there.

Because those teams hit their ceiling and for various reasons--including coaching--couldn't break through.

Those same Colts you're lauding for winning it all went to the playoffs and lost for YEARS before breaking through. Sort of like us right now. Don't act like they've won something with Luck yet just because they're having regular season success. Because Flacco and Harbs had just as much in their first year here (more since we know that they made the AFCC, something Luck isn't guaranteed at all).

Here's some reality. There is no such thing as "The hump". Coaches are either good enough to get to the playoffs or they aren't. Once there, the razor wire margin between champion and choker is impossible to predict. Belichik has how many rings since he got caught cheating? Coughlin was coaching for how long before he hit pay dirt? I guess Bill sucks now and Tom sucked then and maybe they switched brains a few years ago. Yea, that's it!

Chuck Knoll has more rings than anyone. But for every year that ended with a Lombardi, he had 6 that ended without. I guess he sucked 75% of his career.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron