Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

32 seconds til the half, 3 time outs, and you're kicking away to open the 3rd quarter. What do you do?

If you're John Harbaugh, you kneel out the clock. With 32 seconds left in the half and all 3 timeouts, having just given up a FG to the Steelers and kicking the ball away out of the break, Harbaugh refused to let his offense try to score. While we're talking about coaching failures, let's talk about this one that seems to have gone unnoticed. Sure, the Ravens offense wasn't lighting the world on fire, but you don't even TRY? You don't even hand the ball off to Ray Rice and see if he can break a big one? If he does, you call a timeout and see if you can put something together. If not, no big deal!

Contrast Harbaugh's complete lack of gumption with Andy Reid and the Eagles starting a ROOKIE vs. Dallas last week. 41 seconds, all 3 timeouts, they drove 58 yards and kicked a FG. Flacco might not be elite, he might not even be very good, but he's no raw rookie! Andy Reid knows his time is over, so he's coaching with nothing to lose. He might not be winning but at least he's trying.

Or contrast that with the Giants last night. 41 seconds, all 3 timeouts, 54 yards and a FG. Yeah, Eli Manning and the Giants offense is pretty good, but they too were playing a critical division game with a lot of implications, AND they were on the road.

Just another coaching failure to hang around Harbaugh's neck.

Blog Entries

Re: 32 seconds til the half, 3 time outs, and you're kicking away to open the 3rd quarter. What do you do?

thats when I know we were going to lose.

Blog Entries

Re: 32 seconds til the half, 3 time outs, and you're kicking away to open the 3rd quarter. What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    thats when I know we were going to lose.
    If you're a Ravens fan you start drinking heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    If you're John Harbaugh, you kneel out the clock. With 32 seconds left in the half and all 3 timeouts, having just given up a FG to the Steelers and kicking the ball away out of the break, Harbaugh refused to let his offense try to score. While we're talking about coaching failures, let's talk about this one that seems to have gone unnoticed. Sure, the Ravens offense wasn't lighting the world on fire, but you don't even TRY? You don't even hand the ball off to Ray Rice and see if he can break a big one? If he does, you call a timeout and see if you can put something together. If not, no big deal!
    What if he fumbles? Then the Steelers have an opportunity to get points and get the ball to start the 2nd half. I have no issue with Harbaugh playing it safe there.

If this is a reference to Tony's article, IMHO, I agree with what we did Sunday.

Now, LAST week, I was totally against playing for the FG at the end of regulation in San Diego. Totally. If you are inside the opponents 30 with 40 seconds and 2 time outs (I think it was 2...may have only been 1), and on the road, you should IMHO play to win.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    If this is a reference to Tony's article, IMHO, I agree with what we did Sunday.

Now, LAST week, I was totally against playing for the FG at the end of regulation in San Diego. Totally. If you are inside the opponents 30 with 40 seconds and 2 time outs (I think it was 2...may have only been 1), and on the road, you should IMHO play to win.
    I don't know why it's so obvious to me and no one else but read what you said there and tell me that does not reek of a coach who does not fully trust his QB.

Blog Entries

why draft Joe just not trust him? Something is not right here, but one thing is for sure, Cam, Harbs and Joe or not on the same page, the problem where does it lie? It always starts with the head coach.

I don't know the exact answer to any of these things that happen behind close doors, that's for sure, I can only guess.

But here is something you can count on.
    IF Boldin is not here next season, I would bet you, we will hear what is going on between the coaches and the players from him. While he is here, he is not saying anything. He tries to get Cam to listen but it doesn't sound like he listens much. I was surprised he finally took Boldin's word about what San Diego was doing defensively and actually implemented it.

As much as I could jump on this pile, there is the MORE pressing need to design plays to gain natural separation for our receivers. Every other team in the NFL and MANY teams in college do so.
    Why not the Ravens? What is it that Cam doesn't understand?
    Do ANY of our coaches see other teams' receivers running free and ask themselves how is that happening?
    And let's at least look at the film afterwards to at least figure it out then?
    And maybe WE should do THAT? rubs and triplets criss crossing all over the field, running free.

I believe THAT is the single, biggest problem of this team.
    For if our receivers were running free and open by almost 3 yards or more, I believe Joe would have a field day and his confidence would grow with every completion and so would the entire organization and fanbase.
    And our entire team would benefit with an offense that could move the ball up and down the field and keep our defense on the sideline. The talent on offense is there at the skill positions.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    I don't know why it's so obvious to me and no one else but read what you said there and tell me that does not reek of a coach who does not fully trust his QB.

I think it's a coach that is afraid to take chances. I doubt if Harbaugh's approach would be any different if they had brought Peyton here in the offseason. Playing it safe is just his coaching style and personality. He'd rather sit back, play it safe and wait for the other team to mess up. It usually works in the regular season and is very successful against mediocre or bad teams. The problem is against good/great teams and in the playoffs the margain of error shrinks drastically.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    I think it's a coach that is afraid to take chances. I doubt if Harbaugh's approach would be any different if they had brought Peyton here in the offseason. Playing it safe is just his coaching style and personality. He'd rather sit back, play it safe and wait for the other team to mess up. It usually works in the regular season and is very successful against mediocre or bad teams. The problem is against good/great teams and in the playoffs the margain of error shrinks drastically.

Blog Entries

you play to win the game, no risk no reward just stagnation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    What if he fumbles? Then the Steelers have an opportunity to get points and get the ball to start the 2nd half. I have no issue with Harbaugh playing it safe there.
    Rice has fumbled three times total in the past three years (48 games). "What if he fumbles" isn't a valid argument for sitting on the ball there, in my opinion.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52