Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 34
  1. #1

    32 seconds til the half, 3 time outs, and you're kicking away to open the 3rd quarter. What do you do?



    If you're John Harbaugh, you kneel out the clock. With 32 seconds left in the half and all 3 timeouts, having just given up a FG to the Steelers and kicking the ball away out of the break, Harbaugh refused to let his offense try to score. While we're talking about coaching failures, let's talk about this one that seems to have gone unnoticed. Sure, the Ravens offense wasn't lighting the world on fire, but you don't even TRY? You don't even hand the ball off to Ray Rice and see if he can break a big one? If he does, you call a timeout and see if you can put something together. If not, no big deal!

    Contrast Harbaugh's complete lack of gumption with Andy Reid and the Eagles starting a ROOKIE vs. Dallas last week. 41 seconds, all 3 timeouts, they drove 58 yards and kicked a FG. Flacco might not be elite, he might not even be very good, but he's no raw rookie! Andy Reid knows his time is over, so he's coaching with nothing to lose. He might not be winning but at least he's trying.

    Or contrast that with the Giants last night. 41 seconds, all 3 timeouts, 54 yards and a FG. Yeah, Eli Manning and the Giants offense is pretty good, but they too were playing a critical division game with a lot of implications, AND they were on the road.

    Just another coaching failure to hang around Harbaugh's neck.




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    where my head touches the pillow
    Posts
    5,727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 32 seconds til the half, 3 time outs, and you're kicking away to open the 3rd quarter. What do you do?

    thats when I know we were going to lose.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Parkville, MD
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: 32 seconds til the half, 3 time outs, and you're kicking away to open the 3rd quarter. What do you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    If you're John Harbaugh, you kneel out the clock. With 32 seconds left in the half and all 3 timeouts, having just given up a FG to the Steelers and kicking the ball away out of the break, Harbaugh refused to let his offense try to score. While we're talking about coaching failures, let's talk about this one that seems to have gone unnoticed. Sure, the Ravens offense wasn't lighting the world on fire, but you don't even TRY? You don't even hand the ball off to Ray Rice and see if he can break a big one? If he does, you call a timeout and see if you can put something together. If not, no big deal!
    What if he fumbles? Then the Steelers have an opportunity to get points and get the ball to start the 2nd half. I have no issue with Harbaugh playing it safe there.




  4. #4

    Re: 32 seconds til the half, 3 time outs, and you're kicking away to open the 3rd quarter. What do you do?

    If this is a reference to Tony's article, IMHO, I agree with what we did Sunday.

    Now, LAST week, I was totally against playing for the FG at the end of regulation in San Diego. Totally. If you are inside the opponents 30 with 40 seconds and 2 time outs (I think it was 2...may have only been 1), and on the road, you should IMHO play to win.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    where my head touches the pillow
    Posts
    5,727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 32 seconds til the half, 3 time outs, and you're kicking away to open the 3rd quarter. What do you do?

    you play to win the game, no risk no reward just stagnation.




  6. #6

    Re: 32 seconds til the half, 3 time outs, and you're kicking away to open the 3rd quarter. What do you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    If this is a reference to Tony's article, IMHO, I agree with what we did Sunday.

    Now, LAST week, I was totally against playing for the FG at the end of regulation in San Diego. Totally. If you are inside the opponents 30 with 40 seconds and 2 time outs (I think it was 2...may have only been 1), and on the road, you should IMHO play to win.
    I don't know why it's so obvious to me and no one else but read what you said there and tell me that does not reek of a coach who does not fully trust his QB.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calvert County
    Posts
    2,191
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 32 seconds til the half, 3 time outs, and you're kicking away to open the 3rd quarter. What do you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    What if he fumbles? Then the Steelers have an opportunity to get points and get the ball to start the 2nd half. I have no issue with Harbaugh playing it safe there.
    Rice has fumbled three times total in the past three years (48 games). "What if he fumbles" isn't a valid argument for sitting on the ball there, in my opinion.




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    where my head touches the pillow
    Posts
    5,727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 32 seconds til the half, 3 time outs, and you're kicking away to open the 3rd quarter. What do you do?

    why draft Joe just not trust him? Something is not right here, but one thing is for sure, Cam, Harbs and Joe or not on the same page, the problem where does it lie? It always starts with the head coach.




  9. #9

    Re: 32 seconds til the half, 3 time outs, and you're kicking away to open the 3rd quarter. What do you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    If this is a reference to Tony's article, IMHO, I agree with what we did Sunday.

    Now, LAST week, I was totally against playing for the FG at the end of regulation in San Diego. Totally. If you are inside the opponents 30 with 40 seconds and 2 time outs (I think it was 2...may have only been 1), and on the road, you should IMHO play to win.
    Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    I don't know why it's so obvious to me and no one else but read what you said there and tell me that does not reek of a coach who does not fully trust his QB.
    I don't read any of the articles posted on the main site except Filmstudy, but I went back and read the article by Tony Lombardi that Woodlawn mentioned and yeah, it's pretty much the same argument I'm making.

    The Lombardi article has one critical error. Both the Eagles and Giants started off their drives WITH A HANDOFF TO THEIR BACK. YOU DON'T NEED TO "TRUST" FLACCO. Besides that, I doubt the coaches have no "trust" in their QB who has orchestrated quick drives for scores under pressure pretty much every time when asked over the years. I don't think it's a lack of trust, I think it's just a general close-mindedness to ANYTHING seen as "risky."

    Ultimately yes, if you put a drive together, you are probably looking at moving the ball through the air, but there's no "rule" that says you can't run a draw out of the shotgun to catch the defense off guard (which, as I said, worked for both the Eagles and Giants.) Get that initial first down and see what happens. You have all 3 timeouts--did John Harbaugh forget that they don't carry over into the 2nd half? Almost every game he mismanages his timeouts.

    I'm not even going to address those who say Harbaugh was correct because there was a chance somebody might fumble. By that logic, might as well start kneeling on the ball the instant you get a lead, even if it's 5 minutes into the first quarter!




  10. #10

    Re: 32 seconds til the half, 3 time outs, and you're kicking away to open the 3rd quarter. What do you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    I don't know why it's so obvious to me and no one else but read what you said there and tell me that does not reek of a coach who does not fully trust his QB.


    I think it's a coach that is afraid to take chances. I doubt if Harbaugh's approach would be any different if they had brought Peyton here in the offseason. Playing it safe is just his coaching style and personality. He'd rather sit back, play it safe and wait for the other team to mess up. It usually works in the regular season and is very successful against mediocre or bad teams. The problem is against good/great teams and in the playoffs the margain of error shrinks drastically.




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,343

    Re: 32 seconds til the half, 3 time outs, and you're kicking away to open the 3rd quarter. What do you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    I think it's a coach that is afraid to take chances. I doubt if Harbaugh's approach would be any different if they had brought Peyton here in the offseason. Playing it safe is just his coaching style and personality. He'd rather sit back, play it safe and wait for the other team to mess up. It usually works in the regular season and is very successful against mediocre or bad teams. The problem is against good/great teams and in the playoffs the margain of error shrinks drastically.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,934
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: 32 seconds til the half, 3 time outs, and you're kicking away to open the 3rd quarter. What do you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    thats when I know we were going to lose.
    If you're a Ravens fan you start drinking heavily.


    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland