Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Ed Reed - nobody has mentioned it, so I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens27Girl View Post
    They want him to single handedly win the game and save the day
    Well, if he had ran that interception back for a TD, we very well could have won the game!
    It was a TOTAL team loss.

Re: Ed Reed - nobody has mentioned it, so I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I was going to start a thread but figured Id let it go. He was a liability on several plays. He's been a playmaker like no other by gambling but father time came calling.
    Hes always been a liability in coverage. The only difference between ed reed now and ed reed 5 years ago is his tackling ability is not what it was and he doesnt have quite the same burst of speed. He also had a better supporting cast his whole career.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Very serious. The defense stunk just as bad as the offense did.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    How many plays were the offense on the field in the fourth quarter?

Now that our secondary is kind of makeshift with new guys coming in to replace our injured starters, Ed Reed needs to stop gambling and freelancing so much and start playing more disciplined and within the scheme.

Of course, it's up to our coaches to get that message through to Reed. That they haven't is just another bad sign. One of many.

Reed is still an awesome playmaker though--but sometimes that can (almost) backfire on him

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Agreed but to hang it on Reed?

I don't see it.
    I'm not hanging it on Reed.

However, we see it all the time with other players.

For example, if Kruger has a sack, but didn't set the edge well all night and missed multiple tackles...he'd be crucified.

As I said in other posts in this thread, this was a TOTAL TEAM loss. I just don't think anyone gets a pass.

The D couldn't get off the field. The O couldn't stay on the field in the 2nd half. The coaches couldn't adjust to what the Steelers were doing at all. It was a pathetic outing all around.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    How many plays were the offense on the field in the fourth quarter?
    Not enough.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Blog Entries

We have very few games left with Reed on the Ravens. I'm just glad to see him making the most of his time left here.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Not enough.
    That's my point. The defense was out there for the entire fourth quarter, save 4 minutes. Any defense would break eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    We have very few games left with Reed on the Ravens. I'm just glad to see him making the most of his time left here.
    Me too. It's a shame they couldn't win a SB with him. Goes to show you how difficult a task that is. Definitely the best of his generation.

Blog Entries

His mind is still back in 2005, but his body is far removed from it. That sums it up. The same stubbornness that has made someone like him and Ray Lewis great, is what's going to make it an unhappy ending for both of them.

As for the game, yes, the offense was the one that didn't hold serve with it's normal output at M and T WHICH IS OVER 35 PPG!!! In part, because they haven't had a choice. The defense got run over by the team you would least expect (Dallas), who can't run for shit. Brady and Belichick had their offense moving like they were on an assembly line.

How soon people forget this.

The issue here isn't the offense. It's the coaching staff's reluctance to realize that they'll need a cut-throat, cerebral offense to make it anywhere in the playoffs, because the D can't do it anymore.

Charlie Batch was standing back there making a tuna fish sandwich on some of those throws, with half of the starting offensive line hurt.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

The issue here IS the offense. Because they invested so heavily acquiring and retaining talent on that side of the ball sometimes at the expense of the defense, it was expected to shoulder more of the load. So far it hasn't. Big brother isn't there to bail them out anymore. Time for them to step up.

Blog Entries

People need to take a long hard look at them selves for disrespecting Ed Reed and blaming the loss on him, he almost won us the game.

Offensive apologists amuse me, they will go as far to defend them by blaming someone who has actually been playing at a high level for us for the last decade in Ed Reed.

Wicked's dead on here, and no he isnt blaming Reed. If you want to give him props for coming up big with an INT fine, normally id agree with you that it warrants praise. After freelancing and being out of position on multiple plays to be in said position to need a "big play", i cant hardly say he deserves praise/criticism over any other player. He was just as much a part of the problem as he was the solution. So i guess props for breaking even that one series?

the offense getting criticized for not scoring their "home average" when facing the #1 defense, while the defense getting a pass for allowing about their "home average" against a 3rd string qb and banged up OL is a horrible argument. 20 points should have been enough to win the game when their 2nd string and healthier OL only got 10 at home 2 weeks prior. i think people should stop always just looking at Flacco and Cam for every loss and this is a prime example of a team loss where the defense needed to step up and didnt.

we got beat, period. they wanted it more and they took it from us.
    -JAB

I love watching Ed Reed, love what's he's done for the Ravens, and there's no doubt he's still a playmaker ...but ...as others have pointed out here his gambling sometimes gets us burned. I saw at least one occasion where he tried to outguess Batch and jump the route, but Batch pump-faked and threw it over his head for a big gain on a 3rd down conversion (forget if it was to Brown or Sanders). I'm no analyst, but it was glaringly obvious on the overhead replay. More and more this year I've come around to the idea that the Ravens can no longer afford his style of gambling back in the secondary. And am I the only one who thought it was crazy for Ed to return that INT out of the end zone? He was damn near tackled at the 3 yard line.

It'd be silly to blame Ed for Sunday's loss --- let's face it, Flacco was pretty bad out there and the Steelers beat us on both sides of the ball --- but I'm really wondering (sadly) if the Ravens wouldn't be better off in 2013 without Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    As for the game, yes, the offense was the one that didn't hold serve with it's normal output at M and T WHICH IS OVER 35 PPG!!! In part, because they haven't had a choice. The defense got run over by the team you would least expect (Dallas), who can't run for shit. Brady and Belichick had their offense moving like they were on an assembly line.

How soon people forget this.

The issue here isn't the offense. It's the coaching staff's reluctance to realize that they'll need a cut-throat, cerebral offense to make it anywhere in the playoffs, because the D can't do it anymore.

Charlie Batch was standing back there making a tuna fish sandwich on some of those throws, with half of the starting offensive line hurt.
    Actually. it's now 34 ppg, thanks to that stinker.

If you're surprised that this defense gave up 23 to the Steelers when it gave up 20 to the Raiders and 29 to the Cowboys, I don't know what to tell you.

Interestingly, the Ravens defense is just about the same on the road this year as it was last year, in terms of points allowed--they're right at giving up ~18.5 ppg away. The big difference is the defense at home. Last year they were averaging only ~14 ppg allowed at M&T. This year, over a TD more.

At any rate, I stand by my opinion.