Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So who do we root for these next few weeks?

So would it be better for Houston to beat NE or lose? Reason I ask is be because if they lose that and split (or even better get swept) by the colts that would change the 1 and 2 seeds, especially if the Ravens won out right?

Re: So who do we root for these next few weeks?

In my humble opinion I'm more concerned about the remaining 4 games we have left. I think it just might be the toughest winning percentage wise especially if the Skins win tonight.
    But to your question Houston probably has the #1 seed locked up. I've conceded that much. Having said that we need NE to lose because NE has regained the Tie breaker, better conference record even though they've played one less conference game.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    In my humble opinion I'm more concerned about the remaining 4 games we have left. I think it just might be the toughest winning percentage wise especially if the Skins win tonight.
    But to your question Houston probably has the #1 seed locked up. I've conceded that much. Having said that we need NE to lose because NE has regained the Tie breaker, better conference record even though they've played one less conference game.

While I agree that the Ravens have a very hard schedule the rest of the way, don't look past the Texans and Patriots schedules either. The Texans have the Colts twice and are away vs the Pats. The Patriots, although both are at home, have the Texans and San Francisco.

With the loss last night I think we have to root for Houston over New England. With Houston having the head to head over us we need to have them win and then take care of business against Denver. I think we can safely forget about the 1 seed but anywhere from 2-6 are possible depending on how the Ravens play and other things shake out.

Unless I'm mistaken we still control our own destiny for the 2 seed however because the only reason New England has regained the tiebreaker is because it's now a three way tie. IF we beat Denver and then finish in a tie with just New England we would still have the tiebreaker over them...as long as it's just a two way tie.

Right and that's my concern, if the ravens win out, pats win out, and texans drop a game to the Colts, who gets 1st and 2nd seed since that would be a 3 way tie?

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    While I agree that the Ravens have a very hard schedule the rest of the way, don't look past the Texans and Patriots schedules either. The Texans have the Colts twice and are away vs the Pats. The Patriots, although both are at home, have the Texans and San Francisco.

With the loss last night I think we have to root for Houston over New England. With Houston having the head to head over us we need to have them win and then take care of business against Denver. I think we can safely forget about the 1 seed but anywhere from 2-6 are possible depending on how the Ravens play and other things shake out.

Unless I'm mistaken we still control our own destiny for the 2 seed however because the only reason New England has regained the tiebreaker is because it's now a three way tie. IF we beat Denver and then finish in a tie with just New England we would still have the tiebreaker over them...as long as it's just a two way tie.
    I hear you but yesterday's lost was deflating hence my reason for not caring who the other opponents play. I still think we win the division but it's a toss up between seeds 2-4 for us. I think the #3 is most likely. We at least guarantee ourselves of a home game.

Blog Entries

NE has not "regained the tiebreaker" except in a 3-way tie--the Ravens still have the head-to-head victory from week 3.

But I'm with you, psl--any Ravens fan who's concerned with seeding right now is living in a bubble. I'd be more concerned with simply making it into the dance.

Ravens fans should root for the Cowboys to win their next 2 games (@CIN, PGH) so that at least one of the AFCN rivals has 7 or more losses going into week 17 (presuming CIN@PGH in week 16 doesn't end in a tie). (Root also for the Chargers to beat the Steelers next week & the Igls to beat the Bengals the week after--for all the good that'll do.) That way Baltimore will (I'm 99% sure of this) stumble into the postseason even if they complete an epic collapse by losing out to finish at 9-7 (better division record than Cincy, better conference record than Pittsburgh and any of the 7-loss AFCE teams). Which will probably get them a rematch with Denver or New England, on their turf.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    NE has not "regained the tiebreaker" except in a 3-way tie--the Ravens still have the head-to-head victory from week 3.

But I'm with you, psl--any Ravens fan who's concerned with seeding right now is living in a bubble. I'd be more concerned with simply making it into the dance.

Ravens fans should root for the Cowboys to win their next 2 games (@CIN, PGH) so that at least one of the AFCN rivals has 7 or more losses going into week 17 (presuming CIN@PGH in week 16 doesn't end in a tie). (Root also for the Chargers to beat the Steelers next week & the Igls to beat the Bengals the week after--for all the good that'll do.) That way Baltimore will almost certainly stumble into the postseason even if they complete an epic collapse by losing out to finish at 9-7 (better division record than Cincy, better conference record than Pittsburgh and any of the 7-loss AFCE teams).
    Thank you sir. Appreciate the reality check!

Quote Originally Posted by kojo View Post
    Right and that's my concern, if the ravens win out, pats win out, and texans drop a game to the Colts, who gets 1st and 2nd seed since that would be a 3 way tie?
    In that specific scenario we would be the 3 seed.

In three way ties the tiebreakers are the following -

1) Use the divisional tiebreakers to eliminate all but one team from each division - N/A
    2) Any head to head sweeps by one team over the other two teams - again N/A
    3) Conference record
    4) Common games winning % - minimum four games

All three teams would be 13-3. Since Houston would have beaten us but lost to New England, there are no head to head sweeps by a team over the other two. Next would be conference record. New England would be 11-1 while Houston and Baltimore would be 10-2. New England gets the 1st seed. Then I believe with two teams it goes back to head to head to decide it and Houston would get the 2nd seed over us.
    Last edited by Cj34; 12-03-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post

Ravens fans should root for the Cowboys to win their next 2 games (@CIN, PGH) so that at least one of the AFCN rivals has 7 or more losses going into week 17 (presuming CIN@PGH in week 16 doesn't end in a tie). (Root also for the Chargers to beat the Steelers next week & the Igls to beat the Bengals the week after--for all the good that'll do.) That way Baltimore will (I'm 99% sure of this) stumble into the postseason even if they complete an epic collapse by losing out to finish at 9-7 (better division record than Cincy, better conference record than Pittsburgh and any of the 7-loss AFCE teams). Which will probably get them a rematch with Denver or New England, on their turf.
    As it stands right now - the Patriots have regained the tiebreaker because it is a three way tie. In all honesty it still comes down to the Denver game but right now New England has the 2 seed, Baltimore 3 seed (because conf record is 8-2 and Denver is 6-2) and Denver 4 seed.

So essentially we need to hope the ravens win out and that Houston beats the Pats/wins out to ensure a first week bye. Doesn't look good but this is the NFL, past 2 SB winners defied odds lol

Houston is the type of team that will steamroll the Ravens. NE can beat them because they can outscore them. The Ravens can't. The Ravens match up better against Brady.

I think people are thinking a little desperately in the face of a bad/emotional loss. Cj34 has laid it our pretty well. If we can beat Denver (that game is in Baltimore) I think we still have a legitimate chance at the 2 seed. If not, it probably won't happen. I won't reiterate the argument/scenarios already stated above to support that.

Even if we fall short, it'd be tough for us to lose the division.

And seeing as it's extremely unlikely that we miss the playoffs, I don't think anyone concerning themselves with seeding is "living in a bubble." They're just aware that this team is near lock for the playoffs. The next logical thing to be concerned with is playoff seeding.