Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: I think I'm getting burned out...

another note HOW THE FUCK ANDY MOELLER STILL GOT A FUCKING JOB??????

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    another note HOW THE FUCK ANDY MOELLER STILL GOT A FUCKING JOB??????
    the guy is a freakin joke, im sure he has nekkid pics of oz and harbage

I've been over this team for a couple years now. I used to post on these boards quite a bit, now I rarely read them. I know we had a thread on one of these boards a few years ago about what we would prefer as fans: a team that went to the playoffs every year, but never won the big one, or a team that would miss the playoffs every now and then, but was always a legit contender at winning it all when they got there. Most fans wanted the team that was streaky, but won the big game. I haven't been a fan of Harbaugh since he was hired. He has been given the most talented Ravens teams ever and squandered our chances. There is a reason this guy has had so much "success", but is never really talked about as one of the best coaches in the league. We are never going to win a Superbowl with John Harbaugh as our coach.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    Agreed. There is a reason this team hasn't won the SB or even got there. It's because this team plays not to lose instead of playing to win. They are not aggressive in any of the three facets of the game (O,D or ST). When you play not to lose the margain for error is a LOT smaller. Sooner or later it will catch up to you, especially against good or great teams.
    Harbaugh's game philosophy is
    • Avoid unnecessary risks at all costs.
    • Make no unforced mistakes.
    • Take advantage of the opponent's mistakes.

He believes that teams that do these three things win consistently. And many do: Those whose players and/or coaches are as good as or better than their opponents. Because that approach minimizes the chance that an inferior opponent "gets lucky."

Over his first 4 years as Ravens HC, Harbaugh has had the luxury of an overall more talented roster than those of his opponents, so that approach has worked pretty well--it's hard to argue with 4 straight postseason appearances & a dropped pass & missed kick from the Super Bowl.

He no longer has that luxury. In fact it is arguable that this roster is inferior in talent to most of the ones the Ravens have already faced this year & all of those they have yet to face.

Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are on the back end of their careers. Suggs is still recovering his form. Ngata is playing hurt. Cody can't seem to get proper technique for NT play down. Webb is out. Jimmy Smith is always hurt & not playing up to potential. Upshaw is still learning. McPhee has been hurt & is a shadow of last year's promising rookie. Kruger is overmatched against even average OLs.

On offense, Oher & KO are playing out of position, Birk is ready to retire, no one's looking good at left guard, the WRs are dropping passes at an alarming rate, and Joe is Jekyll & Hyde.

As for coaching, the less said the better.

Playing to avoid risk when your coaches are being outthought & your players aren't playing as well as the opponents' is not "coaching not to lose." It is coaching in hopes that you'll catch enough breaks to win.

IMHO, to be honest, unless Harbaugh can overcome his risk aversion between now & the end of the year, catching enough breaks is the only hope they have of winning another game. And if you look back on the year, it's hard to avoid the sinking feeling that they've already used up all the breaks they're entitled to, & more.

5. Re: I think I'm getting burned out...

This thread's resonating with me. Yesterday, I was just confident from watching the game that were going to lose. Then when we did, I wasn't upset. It was just cathartic, mostly. I just thought, "well, they deserved that," and they were lucky it was close, actually. The playoff exits of the previous two years have really been reality checks that I shouldn't care so much about this. And this year, it feels like I really haven't.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Harbaugh's game philosophy is
    • Avoid unnecessary risks at all costs.
    • Make no unforced mistakes.
    • Take advantage of the opponent's mistakes.

He believes that teams that do these three things win consistently. And many do: Those whose players and/or coaches are as good as or better than their opponents. Because that approach minimizes the chance that an inferior opponent "gets lucky."

Over his first 4 years as Ravens HC, Harbaugh has had the luxury of an overall more talented roster than those of his opponents, so that approach has worked pretty well--it's hard to argue with 4 straight postseason appearances & a dropped pass & missed kick from the Super Bowl.

He no longer has that luxury. In fact it is arguable that this roster is inferior in talent to most of the ones the Ravens have already faced this year & all of those they have yet to face.

Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are on the back end of their careers. Suggs is still recovering his form. Ngata is playing hurt. Cody can't seem to get proper technique for NT play down. Webb is out. Jimmy Smith is always hurt & not playing up to potential. Upshaw is still learning. McPhee has been hurt & is a shadow of last year's promising rookie. Kruger is overmatched against even average OLs.

On offense, Oher & KO are playing out of position, Birk is ready to retire, no one's looking good at left guard, the WRs are dropping passes at an alarming rate, and Joe is Jekyll & Hyde.

As for coaching, the less said the better.

Playing to avoid risk when your coaches are being outthought & your players aren't playing as well as the opponents' is not "coaching not to lose." It is coaching in hopes that you'll catch enough breaks to win.

IMHO, to be honest, unless Harbaugh can overcome his risk aversion between now & the end of the year, catching enough breaks is the only hope they have of winning another game. And if you look back on the year, it's hard to avoid the sinking feeling that they've already used up all the breaks they're entitled to, & more.
    Sums it all up perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    On another note... If you love your kids. Please don't decide to decorate your Christmas tree during or after a Ravens game.

I started stringing some lights during halftime. I poured some eggnog and added some bourbon sometime during the 3rd qtr. Thinking all the while, the Ravens would get a big Pick-6 or something to seal this game. I had to keep yelling at the kids to wait 'till after the game before we start to get bulbs out of the boxes... Then I've got my 2.5 year old dropping glass bulbs and the score is 20-20. The tree decorating was miserable and I'm pretty sure my kids got sick of me yelling at them about being careful with the glass ornaments. "Space them out...!", "Dammit, be careful with that bulb, it's an antique from Germany!", and of course "Don't hit your sister!" about 20 times.

Then my 5 year old son found a box of tinsel and ripped that shit open.

Please, if you don't want them to hate Christmas, decorate the tree on a Saturday night.
    Dude, that's freaking hilarious if for no other reason than the fact that my kids wanted to decorate the tree during the game and I told'em it probably wasn't a good idea to do it during a Raven's/Steeler's game.

I have a question for those of you who were at the game. Nantz and Simms remarked in Q3 that the crowd's energy seemed to have fizzled out. It certainly sounded a lot more quiet, but I don't want to rely on my perception through the network's audio feed, which had multiple problems in the 2nd half.

How did the noise level in the 2nd half compare with that of the first half?

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    I have a question for those of you who were at the game. Nantz and Simms remarked in Q3 that the crowd's energy seemed to have fizzled out. It certainly sounded a lot more quiet, but I don't want to rely on my perception through the network's audio feed, which had multiple problems in the 2nd half.

I thought it was relatively quiet for the entire game.. not just the second half.

I can tell you this.. It was crazy loud at the December games last year. Last night was nothing like the home games coming down the stretch last season.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post

I definitely noticed it.

The seats were maybe 75% filled at the start of the half. Very little crowd noise if any as the Steelers drove to open the half.

I'd also add the crowd was just bad in terms of behavior as well. Sat in 142 and saw two fights in the stands and one by the men's bathroom, all involving Ravens fans.

Blog Entries

I'm not nearly as emotionally invested in this team as I was the last few years. That loss in the AFCCG last year changed me. It made me realize that its just a game and I simply cannot let those negative feelings depress me. I was infuriated after that game but over the summer came to realize that winning a Super Bowl would be awesome but its not the most important thing. I've got two kids and a great wife and when I'd get down after losses and the lack of getting to the SB when making the PO's leaves me as a bitter person. I cannot let a game/team make me depressed so I'm just simply a "hope for the best" kinda guy now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    I thought it was relatively quiet for the entire game.. not just the second half.

I can tell you this.. It was crazy loud at the December games last year. Last night was nothing like the home games coming down the stretch last season.
    The first cpl series was loud. But then the OFFENSIVE offensive playcalling starting taking grip. You could see that we were going to let the steelers hang around.

The LB's standing still and Charlie Batch was cooking meals in the pocket with an OL that is worse then ours.

So yeah it was quite by the third QTR. Then the 4th QTR you never say Ray Rice touch the ball again.

Not to mention the team had no urgency to them. Where the heck was the No/Sugar huddle. Joe in Shotgun???? This game was coached to lose.

Joe has never be an under center all game QB and never will be.

Funny how teams game plan around the players and skills. NOT HERE. Dammit now I'm pissed off again...

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN