Results 1 to 15 of 21

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    What happen to the short passing game?



    We went down field a lot today. More time than not they should have been picked off. In the past there was negativity about the dink and dunk approach to moving the ball down filed. Perhaps they need to revisit that approach especially when facing high ranked super pass rushing defenses. My thought is to stop looking down field so much and go for the first down. Our possession time is absolutely horrible.

    Anyone else like to new approach or would you prefer a more balanced approach?
    Last edited by Bawlamer; 12-02-2012 at 09:49 PM.




  2. #2

    Re: What happen to the short passing game?

    Dink and Dunk?

    THAT'S NOT HOW CAM ROLLS BABY




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    96

    Re: What happen to the short passing game?

    Once we have a gameplan we stick to it! right!?...right?




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: What happen to the short passing game?

    It's a foreign language to Cam. Maybe we could do with Todd Haily.




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hyattsville
    Posts
    2,158

    Re: What happen to the short passing game?

    Dink and dunk doesn't exist in Cams version of the Coryell offense.




  6. #6

    Re: What happen to the short passing game?

    Understand, I wouldn't prefer resorting to that approach entirely but I think it's necessary since it takes a long time for our receivers to get open. Those sacks killed us. A short passing game would have been the ticket for possession purposes. Going for the first down not the kill. Eating time and possibly kicking a FG. Charlie, IMO, could not have moved the ball quickly down field.




  7. #7

    Re: What happen to the short passing game?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
    Once we have a gameplan we stick to it! right!?...right?
    Now THAT'S HOW CAM ROLLS BABY!




  8. #8

    Re: What happen to the short passing game?

    Why havent they used the SUGAR HUDDLE either? I just really dont know what the Ravens are trying to achieve offensively. It's perplexing. Seems like to much stubborness in game plannning and adjustments.




  9. #9
    What happened to the"Patriots" style quick hitting, up tempo offense that we heard about all Spring and Summer? I've got no problem going down field, but that seemed like our only play.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  10. #10

    Re: What happen to the short passing game?

    Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    What happened to the"Patriots" style quick hitting, up tempo offense that we heard about all Spring and Summer? I've got no problem going down field, but that seemed like our only play.
    The offense seems to have gone back to their plodding ways.




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,130
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: What happen to the short passing game?

    Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    What happened to the"Patriots" style quick hitting, up tempo offense that we heard about all Spring and Summer? I've got no problem going down field, but that seemed like our only play.
    That's Cam. Play doesn't work? Keep running it over and over again. I love taking deep shots, but you have to set them up.




  12. #12

    Re: What happen to the short passing game?

    Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    What happened to the"Patriots" style quick hitting, up tempo offense that we heard about all Spring and Summer? I've got no problem going down field, but that seemed like our only play.
    They only ONE single play out of the no-huddle yesterday. Obviously they don't NEED to go no-huddle to use the short passing game, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, when Flacco is calling the plays and controlling the offense, it's like a veil is lifted and the entire field and route tree are in play. When Cam Cameron calls the plays it's sideline routes, bombs to Torrey, and dumpoffs to Pitta or Rice--nothing else.




  13. #13

    Re: What happen to the short passing game?

    I don't have a problem with the Ravens going deep down the field as often as they did. That was my complaint in the last game. Not using the middle of the field. They had favorable matchups. They just didn't execute. Flacco and his receivers were just out of sync the entire game. They tried to force some passes down the field. Yet again when Ray Rice doesn't touch the ball often enough bad things happen.




  14. #14

    Re: What happen to the short passing game?

    My sense is the Ravens coaching staff is content to run a low-risk offense that does not put up many points but will probably avoid costly turnovers. It will (again, I'm trying to guess what's going through their heads) *tend* to produce lower-scoring games and *tend* not to be pretty, because a short passing attack is a good way to bite off chunks of yards and we'd be avoiding it.

    But (again, just trying to channel my inner John/Cam here) it will *tend* to produce wins. Not always, and sometimes it will be its own undoing. Yesterday the offense's low-risk strategy backfired when the defense gave up 23 points and the offense sputtered when it was time to show up in the 4th quarter. It's a risk/reward thing, they might say, which is enough to get to the playoffs. It's not pretty but it's effective, they might say.

    I'm not sure I buy it, but that's my best guess about why the playcalling tends to be run/deep out/go route. Those plays all have a pretty low chance of backfiring. Though, of course, they sometimes do.
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    where my head touches the pillow
    Posts
    7,203
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What happen to the short passing game?

    Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    My sense is the Ravens coaching staff is content to run a low-risk offense that does not put up many points but will probably avoid costly turnovers. It will (again, I'm trying to guess what's going through their heads) *tend* to produce lower-scoring games and *tend* not to be pretty, because a short passing attack is a good way to bite off chunks of yards and we'd be avoiding it.

    But (again, just trying to channel my inner John/Cam here) it will *tend* to produce wins. Not always, and sometimes it will be its own undoing. Yesterday the offense's low-risk strategy backfired when the defense gave up 23 points and the offense sputtered when it was time to show up in the 4th quarter. It's a risk/reward thing, they might say, which is enough to get to the playoffs. It's not pretty but it's effective, they might say.

    I'm not sure I buy it, but that's my best guess about why the playcalling tends to be run/deep out/go route. Those plays all have a pretty low chance of backfiring. Though, of course, they sometimes do.
    Harbaugh neeeds to be blamed for how this team is running as well and yesterdays loss he managed the clock terrible yesterday that was an awful challenge.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland