Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

FILMSTUDY: Breaking down the Offensive Line performances v. Chargers

Plus a feature on Anquan Boldin

Anquan Boldin has carried the Ravens’ receiving corps at times this season, but heading into his final year under contract, he has some weaknesses which aren’t going away, and others that are being exacerbated by his reduced speed.

He was targeted 8 times with 2 catches, but might have caught any of three balls that went incomplete.

- He was slowed following the flight of the ball over his head and couldn’t quite catch up to a deep ball down the right sideline when he had Jammer beat (Q1, 9:56).
    - Gilchrist had tight coverage and didn’t find the football, but he distracted Boldin from picking up a well-thrown ball which would have converted a 3rd down (Q1, 7:35)
    - He got a piece of the high throw (Q4, 2:18) that was nearly picked off by Weddle on the right sideline.

A younger Boldin would have made at least 2 of those 3 catches. Add the personal foul to this list and you have a pretty bad game.

However, his awareness was never more apparent than on Rice’s 4th and 29 conversion (Q4, 1:59). All four split receivers ran routes to at least the 30. Pitta crossed the hashes, giving the Ravens two targets on each side.

As the pass went to Rice, Boldin stood near the numbers on the left side at the 27-yard line. He’s lost (even on the top view) as Rice was breaking across the field, but you then see a full-speed Boldin lining up Weddle who was moving to intercept Rice as Ray turned the corner and moved back upfield. Boldin anticipated the spot, set Rice up to work off his block, didn’t lead with the helmet to risk injury or a penalty, and delivered the blow at full speed with his side to flatten the Chargers’ Pro Bowler.

Should it have been flagged? Quite possibly, but Boldin helped avoid the flag by identifying the interception point such that he arrived a split second sooner and delivered the block in a way that appeared clean. It’s among the best efforts I’ve ever seen a receiver make to throw a block.

The Ravens had 88 snaps (excluding Flacco’s 3 kneels) and the starting linemen played every snap:

Oher: Michael regressed against the Chargers. He was beaten outside by Barnes for a sack (Q4, 2:07), but recovered Flacco’s fumble on the play to set up Rice’s dramatic conversion. Liuget moved across his face for penetration to take down Pierce for a loss of two on 4th and 1 (Q3, 0:34). The seven pressure events had a consistent theme:

(Q1, 9:56) Split 4-way pressure when Liuget split double team with him and Reid
    (Q1, 2:15) Bulled by Reyes
    (Q3, 12:29) Shared a pressure with Rice on overload left
    (Q4, 5:01) Bulled low by Barnes
    (Q4, 2:12) Bulled by Liuget
    (OT, 10:06) Allowed PD by Liuget despite being engaged and holding ground
    (OT, 3:20) Bulled by Ingram

Scoring: 71 blocks, 7 missed, 1.5 penetrations, 5.75 pressures (5 + 0.5 + 0.25) pressures, 1 sack, 50.5 points (.57 per play). D with an adjustment for recovering the fumble. It was barely a passing grade, but it was a poor day in most dimensions.

And for the rest of the offensive line, CLICK HERE
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: FILMSTUDY: Breaking down the Offensive Line performances v. Chargers

Thanks for the link Tony

and Thank you Ken for another super detailed recap.

Reading the O-line can be depressing, but my gut tells me that everyone improves when we physically upgrade the C.
    (Not knocking Birk's brain or his heart but his body is starting to resemble an old Yugo, and that has to bring everyone's line play down a little)
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Really good stuff! Thanks to Tony and Film/Ken (BTW, has anybody ever seen Filmstudy and Superman -- or Perry White or Jimmy Olsen, for that matter -- at the same time in the same room???)

Question, and maybe better directed to B-Ravor -- what's the situation with Boldin's contract status? I believe he's 32, so not a really "old" guy for a receiver, but getting there. A quick google search page indicates he's a $6 million dollar man for 2012. Is his contract for more years than this one? Any bonuses, back-end salary increases, etc.? I have to think Ozzie and the Ravens are assessing what to do with him over the course of the next few seasons based upon his CAP impact(s).

Osemele's "pin and turn" move on Rice's run was one of the coolest things I've seen an offensive lineman do.

Thats good work Film. That O-Line performance was pretty bad, I hope it can only get better. Maybe they need Leach and a TE to stay in and block more often.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Thats good work Film. That O-Line performance was pretty bad, I hope it can only get better. Maybe they need Leach and a TE to stay in and block more often.
    Problem is none of the TE's can block.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Problem is none of the TE's can block.
    Leach can block better than most tight ends in the league and should be used as such. Pitta is a great receiver but can't block to save his life as you've said, and Dickson is well... Ed Dickson.

Blog Entries

Pretty much everyone had a bad game on the Oline, apart from maybe Osemele. Osemele clearly has talent, he just needs to put it all together, tough for a rookie to do, he's been more impressive than Mike Adams though on and off the field.

It must be said that this should come to no surprise, Olines normally really struggle on long trips like this, it's almost impossible for an Olineman to recover in time for a game, being such a physically demanding position that requires intelligence and concentration as well as a huge amount of physical effort. This is why our Oline plays so well at home, but not so much on the road.

This would be the week you want to see McKinnie pick up and slam Harrison again. ;)

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

10. Re: FILMSTUDY: Breaking down the Offensive Line performances v. Chargers

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Pretty much everyone had a bad game on the Oline, apart from maybe Osemele. Osemele clearly has talent, he just needs to put it all together, tough for a rookie to do, he's been more impressive than Mike Adams though on and off the field.

It must be said that this should come to no surprise, Olines normally really struggle on long trips like this, it's almost impossible for an Olineman to recover in time for a game, being such a physically demanding position that requires intelligence and concentration as well as a huge amount of physical effort. This is why our Oline plays so well at home, but not so much on the road.
    Osemele had so much trouble with Barnes... He was a turnstile at times and he can't handle the speed rushers

11. Re: FILMSTUDY: Breaking down the Offensive Line performances v. Chargers

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    This would be the week you want to see McKinnie pick up and slam Harrison again. ;)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    Probably more likely to see him pick up some gatorade and slam it on the sideline.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.