Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: OT: Shooting at Chiefs facility

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    nfl told carolina to travel as there will be game tom at 1pm
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter Chiefs: After discussions between the league office, Head Coach Romeo Crennel and Chiefs team captains, the Chiefs adv… http://say.ly/IBK4GZI

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    prepared to <spit> and <swear> at any minute.. blame it on PMS!

NEW AVATAR! I GOT A NEW AVATAR!

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    You're explaining their point. It was an extremely selfish act. I'll never understand and neither will those that he has hurt.
    I don't think anybody saying they felt sympathy is condoning it either.

I think my statement though would explain why his teamates would do something like "dedicate" the game to him...or something like that if they were to go there.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

How long before the media begin screaming about concussion syndrome and/or "roid rage"?

My ex discovered her brother minutes after he hung himself. She never recovered from the pschological trauma.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Those of you acting like nobody should care about this guy have no idea how tough things like that would be on family...and a football team is family to most players.

If your brother, or father, or son did something like this, you would be seriously hurting inside and wondering how badly he may be been hurting and what you could have maybe done to prevent all this. It doesn't mean that you are condoning the crime.

:word

No matter how heinous an act, if it's your family member or close friend you still care for the person. Just because you care for them or feel sympathy for them doesn't mean you condone his actions or don't feel sympathy for his victims. In fact, your greatest emotion might be guilt - thinking what could you have done to prevent this... or why didn't you see the signs of the person breaking down.

Blog Entries

Art Jones, a childhood friend of Jovan, reacts.

Terrible, terrible situation. Everyone lost in this.

Blog Entries

Horrible story. That poor little girl.

7. Re: OT: Shooting at Chiefs facility

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Horrible story. That poor little girl.
    Also the families, friends, teammates, even KC fans...just horrible for everyone

EDIT
    Even for his agent too apparently:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...nt-crazy-wrong

And yes, Linta is also Flacco's agent.
    Last edited by PerpetuallyBored74; 12-02-2012 at 12:21 AM.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Chefs Tragedy and "The Game Must Go On"

Just browsing the headlines, and saw this item about Jovan Belcher from KC. Incredibly sad, and I'm sure traumatic for Pioli, Crennel, others involved, the team, the fans, etc. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of them.

As a Ravens-related issue, however, I wanted to ask about the following from the article--
    =====
    "I struggle a little bit, obviously, because Jovan Belcher's profile elevates the subject," Kansas City Mayor Sly James said. "I hope people will look at the situation and try not to judge the person. There are a lot of people hurting. There's a young baby right now without parents."

James said that he spoke to Pioli after the incident. While he refused to discuss the GM's emotional state, James said Pioli was "extremely concerned that fans of this team are not disappointed and not left in the cold."

"I think they think there's an obligation to the people of this city, the fans of the team and the fans of the other team to play the game," James said.

The news cast a pall over the organization as its 1-10 team prepared to play the Panthers on Sunday.
    ======

I realize there are a lot of factors involved here, and not to single out any one more important than another, but money is one. What would you think if something similar happened with a Ravens player? Should a game be postponed?

Blog Entries

Re: Chefs Tragedy and "The Game Must Go On"

don't know, I didn't really expect them to postpone the game. Very rarely do games get moved in the league. I don't know that we've ever had this level of tragedy...Certainly for 9/11, there was a league-wide suspension of games. But that was a tragedy on a national scale.

You are certainly correct that money is a factor there. They have a TV contract for a 1pm game on Sunday. If you postpone that, you basically give up that TV time, which also forces Carolina's hand as their fans will lose out on seeing a team's road game.

Another thought to consider...what if the Ravens' opponent had a tragedy like this occur the day before a road game (for us), and we agreed to reschedule the game to Monday or Tuesday, but it couldn't be televised. How would fans feel about that, and also about taking on a short week now as well?

There's no right or wrong answer here. Yes, this is dealing with an issue bigger than a football game, but there's a good deal of angles to look at here. Probably helps that the Chiefs aren't in the running for the playoffs anymore, and Carolina is out after another loss or two...but on the other hand, that means the Panthers aren't going to want to disadvantage themselves.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

If it were a Ravens player, I'd give it as much emotion as I do any murderer -- not much if any.

This man, for what ever the reason or motivation, is a murderer. He should be treated as such. My sadness goes to the families of those effected, not the murderer. And I'm having a hard time with ESPN showing that memorial picture of Belcher this morning on Sportscenter. Bad taste, IMO

As to if the game should be played, yes, it should. Moving this game would effect the Panthers as well. Yes, it's a tragedy, but I don't believe it reaches the level of having to move a game.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    If it were a Ravens player, I'd give it as much emotion as I do any murderer -- not much if any.

This man, for what ever the reason or motivation, is a murderer. He should be treated as such. My sadness goes to the families of those effected, not the murderer. And I'm having a hard time with ESPN showing that memorial picture of Belcher this morning on Sportscenter. Bad taste, IMO

As to if the game should be played, yes, it should. Moving this game would effect the Panthers as well. Yes, it's a tragedy, but I don't believe it reaches the level of having to move a game.
    Don't agree at all.

This is a crime of passion. While it does not excuse the crime, this wasn't a bad person. He got caught up and made a horrible spur of the moment, emotional terrible mistake and then was not able to comprehend and deal with that life changing mistake.

Of course, those with no attachment have limited sympathy, but like I said, to the NFL...players, coaches, teams and many Chiefs fans, he was family, and they know that everybody that commits a crime is not necessarily a bad person.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Those of you acting like nobody should care about this guy have no idea how tough things like that would be on family...and a football team is family to most players.
    Then let them feel sorry for him. Let them care, and mourn. *I* have no sympathy for him. If he wasn't a football player, almost nobody else would either.

Good people die all the time and I don't know them, or mourn them. Why should I go out of my way to get choked up over a murderer? I think not.

I don't think this is quite what you were saying, RiW, but there is so much mopey-eyed stuff all over the internet over how this was a decent guy & we should all feel bad, I'm way past tired of it.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.