Ravens Faith

This may be slightly OT. A little out of place in the middle of Steelers week, but here goes.

I've always had trouble with this. You hear it all the time... "The Three F's. Faith, Family, Football."

I have never been a religious person. I had been dragged to church as a kid and saw it as a task. I had never really believed in anything that was said there, not out of conscious choice but just because none of it made logical sense.

So when it came time to get in a huddle and pray before High School games, I became uncomfortable. As an employee of a College Football team I have had to sit through mandatory Chapel services prior to pre-game meals.

I can understand the sentiment. At least partly. There is definitely some value to relating stories from the Bible to experiences for a team and within a game. That's great. However, you can find motivational stories that are relatable from various other resources as well.

I don't believe that praying to a higher power before the game gives any team an advantage. In the case that there is a God I would hope that his focus would be on something of more importance than a game.

"To see it pay off like that, with that kind of success, is more of a validation of faith and trust in one another and in God. I don’t like to say it too much because I know some people don’t like to hear that, but it’s a big part of who we are as a team." - Harbaugh

I just don't agree with announcing this to the world. When you say this, you are speaking for the team. I guarantee you every Raven has some sort of faith in each of their teammates but I also guarantee you that not every Raven has faith in God.

It doesn't bother me at all that there are religious coaches and players in football. There are religious people everywhere! I don't care what anyone believes if it makes them happy. But it bothers me that religion, specifically Christianity, is looked at as a necessary part of the game.

As an aspiring Coach, it's sad that I feel like I would have to lie or admit truth to a Coach that was interviewing me if this subject came up. As a Coach, I don't want people in my program to feel the way I had.

I would hope that any discussion of this topic could be made respectfully. If this has to be moved to politics or whatever that is fine with me. This is something that I've been thinking about for a long time and when I heard this in the press conference I just felt like I needed to vent.

Go Ravens