Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Football and Faith

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Please don't put words in my mouth. I made no "claim", not even a conjecture--I simply wondered "out loud" if there is any relationship. Is there any basis for thinking there is? There wasn't until Harbaugh "opened the door" to that sort of speculation by needlessly making the situation so public as to be nearly unavoidable.
    Ok...I changed my post from "claim" to "speculation".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    As a Christian, I don't see the pre-game prayer as a prayer to ask for a win. The outcome of the game is almost besides the point. It is a prayer to perform well with your god-given talents, and to be true to yourself, your teammates and your coaches. In my mind, this is no different than someone saying a prayer to themselves before a work day, or a big meeting, or a speech. "Give me the strength to do X."

Well, I would hope that he would be paying attention to the individuals that make up the team, as well as the individuals on the other team.

I think the whole "God is for US and against THEM" gets overplayed sometimes.

From what I've heard from the players themselves (my nephews know Matt Stover and I've talked to him) is they pray for each other during the game and that no one will
    get seriously hurt. God doesn't care who wins a football game but he does care about everyone in the game.

Players from both teams gathered for years after the game and you seldom if ever saw it on TV but nobody is asking
    God for a win. They just want to play their best and that nobody gets hurt.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-30-2012 at 06:09 PM.

So Lob is perfectly alright with people having different opinions than his, as long as they never mention them? Not surprising from a liberal, but whatever.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    From what I've heard from the players themselves is they pray for each other during the game and that no one will
    get seriously hurt. God doesn't care who wins a football game but he does care about everyone in the game.

Players from both teams gathered for years after the game and you seldom ever saw it on TV but nobody is asking
    God for a win. They just want to play their best and that nobody gets hurt.
    After every game I played in high school and college, players from both teams would meet in the middle of the field and pray together. Lob doesn't think we should be allowed to do that.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Yea, there's plenty who will agree with him but not us.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    ...as a Christian, I am uncomfortable with other Christians that feel they need a bull-horn on main street to practice our religion. I am more of a walk-the-walk parishioner.
    And non-believers like me have no bone to pick with believers like you. I never had a problem with Matt Stover pointing to heaven after each kick--he acknowledged the Creator he believes in, & left it there. Heck, like most everyone else I shed a tear when Jermaine Lewis did the same as he crossed the goal line in SB35, even though I don't believe his unborn son is in heaven (because I don't believe that such a heaven exists).
    If you are uncomfortable because you think that his beliefs are mandated to the team and that non-conformity has consequences. Well, yeah, until someone can provide any sort of evidence to support that claim, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
    I beg to differ, John--to me it makes a whole heckuva lot of sense. It's one thing for the team to say, We want to support our athletes in their faith & so we have chapel & Bible study & a Christian chaplain available to all who care to take part.

But when the Head Coach goes out of his way to publicly proclaim that those activities are "a big part of who we are," it's not a stretch to conclude that unless a player participates in these things he's not really part of the team. If you're the 52nd or 53rd guy on the roster, hanging on to your NFL dream for dear life, & you have a philosophical problem with this, the pressure to conform must be immense.

And this is what I find so incomprehensible about Harbaugh going public about this. What did it accomplish, other than to put even more pressure on any player with reservations to "get with the program"? How can anyone be certain there won't be consequences for those who can't or won't?

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    After every game I played in high school and college, players from both teams would meet in the middle of the field and pray together. Lob doesn't think we should be allowed to do that.
    Talk about pulling something out of thin air.

You can pray if you want to. It shouldn't be something mandated by authority.

I'm positive the Ravens don't require every player and coach to pray, but when he says what he did he is speaking for the team as a whole. I think it would be wise for him to stay away from speaking for everybody on matters like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    So Lob is perfectly alright with people having different opinions than his, as long as they never mention them? Not surprising from a liberal, but whatever.
    Typical rightwinger, trying to shove words in my mouth & then crap on me for saying them.

Matt Stover is by all accounts every bit as devout a Christian as Tim Tebow, but no non-believing Ravens fan I know ever had a problem with him pointing to the sky after every kick & acknowledging the Creator he believes in.

For every non-believer who (you want to believe) only respects others' beliefs if they never mention them, there are a dozen believers who only respect non-believers' views so long as they can say to themselves "Believe what you will, I'm going to heaven when I die & you're gonna burn in hell." Nice people.

I don't really care what you believe or how ludicrous it seems to me so long as you treat your fellow man with decency & respect. A lot of people who call themselves Christians are in dire need of a refresher course on just what that means. They ought to start by rereading what their Savior actually said, most especially Matthew 25:31-46.

Blog Entries

I don't really care what you believe or how ludicrous it seems to me so long as you treat your fellow man with decency & respect. A lot of people who call themselves Christians are in dire need of a refresher course on just what that means. They ought to start by rereading what their Savior actually said, most especially Matthew 25:31-46.
    But you do care if they share them in public, right?

I mean, I see you qualified in with a subjective term "go out of his/their way" but you could say that any time you wanted, could you not?

I have no problems with an individual's beliefs so long as he doesn't go out of his/her way to foist them on others. But when the head coach of a sports team that represents my home town (not an avowedly religious institution like Notre Dame or TCU or Southern Methodist) goes out of his way to institute in his operation, not just a spiritual structure but a religious structure associated with one particular religion, and then goes out of his way to publicize it, it is neither "shrill" nor "militant" for a non-believer to express deep misgivings.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    But you do care if they share them in public, right?

I mean, I see you qualified in with a subjective term "go out of his/their way" but you could say that any time you wanted, could you not?
    I don't think you understand. Harbaugh didn't say, "I have faith in god."

He said "To see it pay off like that, with that kind of success, is more of a validation of faith and trust in one another and in God. I don’t like to say it too much because I know some people don’t like to hear that, but it’s a big part of who we are as a team."

He shared what he believes to be the team's beliefs are. Unfortunately, it's not possible that all 100 or so people involved in the Ravens organization share the same beliefs.

Blog Entries

I posted a thread soon after HARBs came here that he was a Christian based on one of the first
    interviews he did and it was with the Wash Post. It described his office and he had a Bible verse on his wall behind his desk and a Daily Devotional on his desk. All those were detailed in the article and signs that he is a Christian.

HARBs does believe in God and his brother spoke at Promise Keepers and his dad was the
    AD or Assist AD at Marquette a Cath College, I think it was and that's where his sister JOni met her husband who is now head basketball coach at Indiana.

There's no doubt in my mind HARBs entire family is Christian and they're strict
    Catholics and thus the faith reference in the locker room and he's used plenty of
    Bible verses as part of his motivational speeches.

Other Christian coaches like Joe Gibbs and Tom Landry held Bible studies on the players
    day off. Some came, most didn't.

Joe Ehrmann of the old Colts became a Christian as a result of Stan White after his
    brother died and he had serious issues with life. He later joined Stan's Bible Study and is
    now on the pastorial staff of Grace Fellowship Church in Timonium, MD or was and even
    got them their new pastor when they were without one, a former roommate at Dallas
    Theological Seminary. Joe also had a inner city ministry called THE DOOR.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-30-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    I don't think you understand. Harbaugh didn't say, "I have faith in god."

He said "To see it pay off like that, with that kind of success, is more of a validation of faith and trust in one another and in God. I don’t like to say it too much because I know some people don’t like to hear that, but it’s a big part of who we are as a team."

He shared what he believes to be the team's beliefs are. Unfortunately, it's not possible that all 100 or so people involved in the Ravens organization share the same beliefs.
    He also said who we are as a team, not as an organization.

And I gotta say, to me, while I think the conversation about the subject in general has been a good conversation. But when it comes to comes to what Harbaugh said publicly it's not really a big deal. And what he says is a big (read: not the only part) part of who we are as a team, so anyone not spiritual/religious doesn't have to feel left out. It makes me think of when I sold cars years ago when managers would bitch about shit in meetings "if it doesn't apply, let it fly". If you're not spiritual or religious than pay no mind to what we say...