Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: Dean Pees is starting to grow on me.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    I HATE Pees little BS defense, but I HATE Cams retarded offensive schemes more.
    You're going to hate it even more when they can Cam & his replacement runs the same sort of limited, unimaginative, low risk offense--because from all the evidence of the last 4 years, that's what Harbaugh wants. (It will be interesting to work out the over/under on the number of games into the new-OC-same-as-the-old-OC regime it will take for certain Cam-haters' heads to 'splode...)

Blog Entries

It doesn't matter how conservative Harbaughs philosophy is, there are plenty of offenses that are more effective than us who run a conservative game plan. Indianapolis have bee pretty consverative this year with Luck, yet his statistics are really impressive for a rookie, and they probably do a better job of moving the ball than we do. It's not even Cams play calling, it's the scheme that he runs. Long developing routes are just not a fit for todays NFL, you literally need the best pass pro Oline in the league for this scheme to work well, our Oline is simply not built for plays to take 5 seconds to develop where a receiver gets open.

I wouldn't even say we are conservative when we're passing the ball 59 % of the time.

Conservative is more like 2008 when we had a committee approach of 3 backs, and ran the ball over 30 times a game every week. Down the stretch last season we where slightly more conservative than usual when we were using Ray Rice, and a much more ball controlled offense.

The Houston Texans and 49ers are both super conservative offenses and both are primed for a SB run this year again. I bet a load of you would LOVE to have the Texans offense, but the facts are, they run the ball first, and pass the ball second, and nearly all those passing plays are off play action, and rarely turn the ball over. That is the definition of "conservative". Not like us who send everyone deep every time it's 3rd and short lol.

Blog Entries

I think you misunderstand me, 'beast.

Harbaugh's philosophy is not "conservative," it's risk-averse.

Bomb-throwing is not conservative play, but while you don't complete a lot of those attempts, it is also low risk--if a long pass is picked it's generally no worse than a punt. Sideline patterns are low risk so long as the QB doesn't lock onto the receiver & gets the ball there fast (so that the DB can't jump the route) or puts it where only the receiver can get to it (& a tipped ball falls out of bounds).

The real high-risk pass patterns are over the middle, where a ball that isn't caught cleanly is highly likely to result in a turnover. And that is precisely where this offense fears to tread. When you watched Q beg Cam for the ball over the middle, you could almost see the wheels going around in his head: Is the situation dire enough that I can call slants & not get reamed out by Harbaugh for it if we come up short?

The Ravens are +12 in turnovers, which is tied for 4th-5th in the league (with WAS) and second in the AFC (to NE at a preposterous +24). But it isn't a function of (e.g.) Ed Reed running wild in the secondary. They've given the ball away only 9 times in 11 games. That's second in the league (again to NE with 8). Flacco's thrown more than one INT in just one game (HOU) and the offense has yet to lose a fumble. Hang onto the ball, don't take chances...

If you drop this sort of philosophy on your offense like a weighted net, is it any wonder it doesn't go much of anywhere no matter how hard it thrashes?

And it permeates the team. Pees rarely "brings the house" & his DBs don't play press for fear of giving up the big play. Bend-don't-break = make the opposing offense snap the ball often enough & they will probably make mistakes & give the ball back by turnover or punt & if not they can probably be held to 3 points. Above all don't take chances.

But hey, 9-2 baby, so it ain't changing any time soon--no matter who's OC or DC.

Blog Entries

Monte Kiffin just left USC and says he wants to join the NFL again...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

If being ranked better than being awful the last few weeks makes Ravens' fans happy, then Pees is doing great.
    Pees is delivering an average D, a historical Pees led D, better than the first (6) weeks, but not Ravens style D.
    If now, the gauge is just to be better than awful, then Pees is doing great. If Pees, coaching to his resume, then he's almost back there; is that though, what Raven's are used to?
    Pees is coaching, well, like Pees; nothing creative, nothing really bad, just middle of the road, middle of the stats, N.E, style, or lack thereof, D.
    The Ravens are climbing back into the middle of the D stats, just where Pees was expected to have them. No reason to give him props to getting us back to mediocre.

In the last month, we've had the stingiest D in the league. That's not mediocre.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    In the last month, we've had the stingiest D in the league. That's not mediocre.
    4 games a season doesn't make.

Pees is coaching up to his resume, and his lack of strategy allowed a career bench warmer to look like Brady.

To expect otherwise is fantasy.

Same reason for the loss to Philly; gave Vick all day. Charlie Batch? Really?

Here's me:

Saturday: "Gee that Dean Pees is really starting to show us that he really knows--"

Sunday: *stares in disbelief as Batch picks apart the Ravens D*

Monday: "Um, nevermind. Say, who's available as a potential defensive coordinator for 2013?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    I think you misunderstand me, 'beast.

Harbaugh's philosophy is not "conservative," it's risk-averse.

Bomb-throwing is not conservative play, but while you don't complete a lot of those attempts, it is also low risk--if a long pass is picked it's generally no worse than a punt. Sideline patterns are low risk so long as the QB doesn't lock onto the receiver & gets the ball there fast (so that the DB can't jump the route) or puts it where only the receiver can get to it (& a tipped ball falls out of bounds).

The real high-risk pass patterns are over the middle, where a ball that isn't caught cleanly is highly likely to result in a turnover. And that is precisely where this offense fears to tread. When you watched Q beg Cam for the ball over the middle, you could almost see the wheels going around in his head: Is the situation dire enough that I can call slants & not get reamed out by Harbaugh for it if we come up short?

The Ravens are +12 in turnovers, which is tied for 4th-5th in the league (with WAS) and second in the AFC (to NE at a preposterous +24). But it isn't a function of (e.g.) Ed Reed running wild in the secondary. They've given the ball away only 9 times in 11 games. That's second in the league (again to NE with 8). Flacco's thrown more than one INT in just one game (HOU) and the offense has yet to lose a fumble. Hang onto the ball, don't take chances...

If you drop this sort of philosophy on your offense like a weighted net, is it any wonder it doesn't go much of anywhere no matter how hard it thrashes?

And it permeates the team. Pees rarely "brings the house" & his DBs don't play press for fear of giving up the big play. Bend-don't-break = make the opposing offense snap the ball often enough & they will probably make mistakes & give the ball back by turnover or punt & if not they can probably be held to 3 points. Above all don't take chances.

But hey, 9-2 baby, so it ain't changing any time soon--no matter who's OC or DC.
    Can't disagree with any of this.