Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: What is Joe worth?

As I`ve mentioned before.

A big reason why Flaccos QB rating is not higher, is lack of TDs.

The Ravens pass much less then other teams inside the red zone. Flacco has only attempted 8 passes inside the opponents 10 this year. 33 QBs has more attempts. Yes, some teams has 2 QBs with more pass attempts then Flacco inside the 10. He just doesn`t get the oppurtunity. TDs has a big impact on QB rating, and this is a big reason why his are not higher. Most of the QBs has attempted between 20 and 30, Brees leads the league with 38. Start passing more in the redzone, and Flacco should get in the top 10 or atleast a QB rating in the 90s. Out of Flaccos 8 attempts, 4 where completed and 3 where TDs. Giving him an average number of attempts like 24, Flacco would have 6 extra TDs and a QB rating of 92,1. That would be tied with Drew Brees for 12th this year, but it would be good enough for a spot in the top 10 any other year the past decade excluding 2010 when he had a 93,6 anyway. He would also be on pace to finish with 29 TDs, which is good enough for at worst 6th in the league the past 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by yahoomas View Post
    As I`ve mentioned before.

A big reason why Flaccos QB rating is not higher, is lack of TDs.

The Ravens pass much less then other teams inside the red zone. Flacco has only attempted 8 passes inside the opponents 10 this year. 33 QBs has more attempts. Yes, some teams has 2 QBs with more pass attempts then Flacco inside the 10. He just doesn`t get the oppurtunity. TDs has a big impact on QB rating, and this is a big reason why his are not higher. Most of the QBs has attempted between 20 and 30, Brees leads the league with 38. Start passing more in the redzone, and Flacco should get in the top 10 or atleast a QB rating in the 90s. Out of Flaccos 8 attempts, 4 where completed and 3 where TDs. Giving him an average number of attempts like 24, Flacco would have 6 extra TDs and a QB rating of 92,1. That would be tied with Drew Brees for 12th this year, but it would be good enough for a spot in the top 10 any other year the past decade excluding 2010 when he had a 93,6 anyway. He would also be on pace to finish with 29 TDs, which is good enough for at worst 6th in the league the past 5 years.
    For comparisons like this we need to look at the total number of times each team/QB got inside the 10 at all. Without that, it is hard to judge how much Flacco is hurt by run/pass playcalling in the red zone.

You`re right. I figure we would be close to average in terms of plays run considering we`re an average offense. Turns out we`re not. We`re close to bottom. We do run more then we pass though, compared to other teams, but only enough to give Flacco a couple more TDs, and not the big swing I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by yahoomas View Post
    You`re right. I figure we would be close to average in terms of plays run considering we`re an average offense. Turns out we`re not. We`re close to bottom. We do run more then we pass though, compared to other teams, but only enough to give Flacco a couple more TDs, and not the big swing I was looking for.
    It hurts him, no doubt. And it did last year as well when Rice finished with 15 TDs

I wasn't even sure we were that low (though I had some suspicions due to our struggles on the road and my recollection of some long TD passes at home), but I was pretty sure Brees and the TD leaders were on offenses that got into redzone/10 an abnormally high number of times (because I remember checking last year and being shocked).

I also figure we run more than pass inside the 10, and New Orleans probably doesn't, but figured the average team does run more than they normally pass, considering PI's in the endzone (i.e. 1st and goals at 1, etc), and general tendency for some teams to at least try 1 run every time, usually on first down.

I also think completion percentage matters more than TDs to some degree, looking at Alex Smith, and even Peyton, etc. This is another area where our scheme hurts Joe. He is asked to throw deep much more often and we run way way less short slants, easy stat-padding completions (like S.F. does). Messing around with QB Rating calculator, I was surprised to see how much completion percentage changes things, all else being equal like yards and TDs and even INTs.

For example:

15/28 for 200 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT = QB rating of 85.4
    20/28 for 200 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT = QB rating of 100.3

Or even simpler:

1/3 for 21 yds = QB rating of 59.0
    3/3 for 21 yds = QB rating of 95.8
    Last edited by Haloti92; 12-01-2012 at 12:23 AM.

Here's the thing though. In the end, Ozzie and Bisciotti aren't going to care what his QB rating is, or how many TD passes he's thrown. That's not what he's going to get paid for.

He is going to get paid based on the trend that since he was drafted he has won more games than any other QB in their first 5 years, and has been to more playoffs than any other QB in their first 5 years.

He will get paid based not just on the fact he proved he can win at home, on the road, and on the road in the playoffs; but on the fact they know the Ravens can go to the playoffs consistently with him as the QB.

He will get paid not based on his QB rating, but on the fact they can rely on him to make a 4th quarter comeback in a key situation when it's needed; as he has proven through his career he can do.

He isn't going to get paid based on just knowing Lee Evans and Billy Cundiff cost him a trip to the SuperBowl last year, but on the fact they believe he will continue to get them in a position to get to the SuperBowl, including this year.

So realistically, we can parse over stats and stuff like that all we want. The Ravens are going to pay Flacco by his wins and losses, and what they think he will continue to produce in that department for the next 6-8 years. And that's going to net him good money.

Yup Yup, pay the man! Flacco is the first and only Drafted QB that is a Winner! Loved the pick, love him, And watch him cash in with,imo,A Superbowl, A 100mill, and a new OC.!!
    Wacko For Flacco, purple pride

I agree 100% with Stinger's post. Right on the money bro.

Blog Entries

If I'm Ozzie, I'm not paying Flacco anywhere near the amount some of you guys have been speculating. He's a decent QB, and I've supported him a lot on these boards, maybe not to the degree that some do, and on a good day, can take over games, but IMO, you don't pay your QB over 100 million when he has games like this a lot of the time. Eli and Ben had won rings when they got their contracts, will Flacco get one this season? Probably not, but it's possible. I think if he leads this team to a SB, then maybe he gets 100 million or more, if not, then he just isn't worth that money. That SB championship really is the key, and thus far, Flacco hasn't done it.

I would hope that Ozzie is laying the ground work to acquire Alex Smith and get as many draft picks as possible for Flacco.

After today Flacco's completion % is below 60 for the second consecutive season. There is only a 1/2 dozen starting QB's in the NFL who are less efficient.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by webbrick2007 View Post
    I would hope that Ozzie is laying the ground work to acquire Alex Smith and get as many draft picks as possible for Flacco.

After today Flacco's completion % is below 60 for the second consecutive season. There is only a 1/2 dozen starting QB's in the NFL who are less efficient.

Flacco is a free agent and no one is trading for him with the Franchise tag. He can't be traded

Skills worth a shitload. Brain worth nothing.

a bag of footballs