Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2223242526 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: I'm losing my faith in Joe Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Yet his stats over the middle are far better than they are outside the hashmarks. So that doesn't hold water.
    Au contraire, mon frere. My point had to do with pure physics & geometry--"stats" have nothing to do with it. Tipped passes in the middle get picked more often no matter who the QB is, because they're still in the field of play. Add to that the fact that Ravens receivers rarely get separation, so there's always at least one defender in the vicinity....

Anyone beside me remember the game here vs Indy some years back when the Ravens were driving late for what looked like the sure tying or winning score & Joe chucked one into the middle right into the arms of a Colts LB? Yeah, yeah, I know, anecdotal evidence, but a pretty fair example of what can go horribly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Except for when Joe threw a pass that hit him in the hands in the end zone and he dropped it.
    Ok so 1 dropped pass by Torrey. There was no excuse for dropping that pass. That doesn't excuse the other horribly inaccurate passes by Flacco though.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Au contraire, mon frere. My point had to do with pure physics & geometry--"stats" have nothing to do with it. Tipped passes in the middle get picked more often no matter who the QB is, because they're still in the field of play. Add to that the fact that Ravens receivers rarely get separation, so there's always at least one defender in the vicinity....

Anyone beside me remember the game here vs Indy some years back when the Ravens were driving late for what looked like the sure tying or winning score & Joe chucked one into the middle right into the arms of a Colts LB? Yeah, yeah, I know, anecdotal evidence, but a pretty fair example of what can go horribly wrong.
    I understand that. But ALL QB's throw picks over the middle of the field. Every single one. Including the great ones. But that should not be a reason for an OC or HC to be afraid to take that chance. Using the stats was just my way of fortifying my argument.

Quarterbacks throw interceptions. Joe Flacco will throw interceptions before the end of the year. I guarantee it. So will 31 other QB's in the league.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    Ok so 1 dropped pass by Torrey. There was no excuse for dropping that pass. That doesn't excuse the other horribly inaccurate passes by Flacco though.
    I'm not saying it does, but everyone is so quick to point out all of the throws that didn't work and hardly ever talk about the fact that Flacco does throw some really nice passes out there that just get flat out dropped.

3 years now this offense has had some major issues with dropped passes. THREE DAMN YEARS.

I can understand a drop here and there, but man...this offense goes through droughts of drops and there have been drops that have ended games or severely impacted games for us.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quarterbacks throw picks all over the field. On outside routes, the ball travels longer in the air to get the same distance downfield, giving the defense a better chance to undercut the receiver and intercept. Flacco is better at these throws than quite a few other quarterbacks because of how strong his arm is.

There's no perfect route. We don't attack the middle of the field enough, and that's why LeBeau and now everyone else feels secure in sending the safeties down to undercut the out routes. The Ravens need to attack the middle more to keep the safeties honest, and run more out-and-ups when the safeties want to cheat down. Granted, for the latter to work the o-line needs to keep Flacco standing up.

Blog Entries

There is no perfect route, but there are combinations of routes that provide a higher probability of getting one or more players open.

Receivers are some of the best athletes in the league. Why the Ravens aren't interested in getting them the ball in open space to allow their athleticism to take over while they pick up YAC is beyond me.

Torrey Smith runs a few crossing/drag routes against San Diego...takes the first one 54 yards...wow. Imagine that? One of the fastest guys in the league getting a pass in stride, in space, and taking it an extra 50 yards.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I can understand a drop here and there, but man...this offense goes through droughts of drops and there have been drops that have ended games or severely impacted games for us.
    Yeah. There are drops and then there are drops. Just like some INT's are worse than others. A deep bomb on 3rd down from your own 40 that gets picked off on the opponent's 20 and the DB gets dropped short of the 25 isn't bad. Throwing a pick in the red zone is.

Boldin has dropped some critical passes lately, and he's not the only one. Doss dropped a catchable ball against Pitt that would have been a first down, IIRC. Jones and Smith both had drops on critical plays. Part of it I blame on the playcalling: we're not seeing the offense develop a rhythm. We're either seeing out routes, curls, or 9's down the sideline. Rarely are we seeing short crossing routes, slants, or posts into the holes in the defense. Either no one ever plays zone against the Ravens, or the Ravens just suck at finding the gaps in zones that every other team in the NFL seems to manage to find.

Blog Entries

There is no perfect route, but there are combinations of routes that provide a higher probability of getting one or more players open.

Receivers are some of the best athletes in the league. Why the Ravens aren't interested in getting them the ball in open space to allow their athleticism to take over while they pick up YAC is beyond me.

Torrey Smith runs a few crossing/drag routes against San Diego...takes the first one 54 yards...wow. Imagine that? One of the fastest guys in the league getting a pass in stride, in space, and taking it an extra 50 yards.
    We're in agreement. It's like Cavanaugh is back. "That worked great! So we can NEVER do it again!" Or maybe it's the Curse of Marchibroda, since he seemed to like to outthink himself. "If a play worked, then the defense is expecting it! So I can't do it, because they're expecting it!"

Clicked over to NFLN last night and saw the IND/DET recast.

1st snap I saw, IND's OL (how many pro bowlers do they have?) picked up an overload blitz and Luck threw a 15 deep slant to YA Hilton (a rookie I really wanted here) who got 45 YAC out of it.
    Two plays later...a quick slant went to Avery (pretty sure he's no pro bowler) for the score.

So frustrating....
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Re: The "Flacco Thread" (Merged from 5 threads)

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Clicked over to NFLN last night and saw the IND/DET recast.

1st snap I saw, IND's OL (how many pro bowlers do they have?) picked up an overload blitz and Luck threw a 15 deep slant to YA Hilton (a rookie I really wanted here) who got 45 YAC out of it.
    Two plays later...a quick slant went to Avery (pretty sure he's no pro bowler) for the score.

So frustrating....
    Arians offense west coast hybrid.

Blog Entries

Re: The "Flacco Thread" (Merged from 5 threads)

The Baltimore Ravens' offense should be better -- I think this every season, and it comes back to coaching. It's surprising Cameron has stayed there so long.
    By Gregg Rosenthal

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...nator-rankings

It's Flacco man. He has under achieved in this prolific Offense with a genius OC.

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    Torrey didn't almost allow 2 interceptions. They were horribly underthrown balls by Flacco. You can't expect your receiver to run full speed, stop, comeback to the ball, and locate it when he's running a post route.

Torrey was beating his man all day. Joe just couldn't get the ball to him.
    You don't realize how hard it is to perfectly place a pass 50 to 60 yards in the air. On the post routes Torrey is always trying to let the ball drop in as he runs. Sometimes he needs to out jump the DB.

Until he does this he won't be the complete weapon that he has the potential to become.