Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2122232425 ... LastLast

Re: I'm losing my faith in Joe Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Completely agree with everything here. But another thing that changed after 2010 is that Joe is being asked or allowed to throw it a lot more. He had 53 more attempts in 2011 over 2010 (489 to 542, an increase of 10.8%) and only had 6 more completions to show for them (and 5 less TDs and 2 more INTs).

We played better defenses overall in 2011 so that could be part of it along with Zorn getting fired as you said, but I think the going pass happy (relatively) might have been by design to see if it could be handled. Obviously with Cameron, no Zorn, different supporting cast, tougher defenses, it didn't pan out.

And this year he is on pace for a further increase to 568 attempts. I have no idea why we are throwing so much more, but it could be to evaluate Flacco before the big contract committment. But as you and others have mentioned, the coaching may (probably does) prevent any fair assessment of his abilities. Simply passing more in a flawed scheme is not a good test. In this case it has lead to more incompletions (lower completion percentage) and therefore a lower QBR, but what does that really tell us considering our scheme/coaching?
    I think one of Joe's problems is that he is telegraphing his plays. Defenders are sitting on his routes. He is getting more experienced, but his tendencies are starting to show more as well.

I don't like to compare Joe to a guy like Peyton Manning, but look at part of what makes Manning so successful. You don't know what that guy is going to do. His team looks like they are going through a chinese fire drill at the line of scrimmage while he is barking out all sorts of crazy jibberish. Most of that is just for show. Their #1 priority is to confuse the defense. Even if they do end up in a regular set and run a regular play after the show, they have managed to create some confusion and misdirection in the defense.

The Ravens defense used to do something similar back in its hey day. Jumping around, changing positions, you didn't know where the blitz was coming from. Did it give them an edge? It certainly seemed like it.

Maybe this team needs a little organized chaos on the offensive side of the ball. Like Peyton.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Several of those high-sailing passes to the sideline are also because Flacco has no choice but to try and put it in a position where a Raven receiver might have a shot at it.

Defenders all season have been undercutting a lot of those sideline routes. If Flacco were to NOT throw it high, it would almost surely be a pick.
    Exactly this.

G3
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Maybe this team needs a little organized chaos on the offensive side of the ball. Like Peyton.
    The Ravens need to at least do what the Chargers did against us last year and include more pre-snap motion in their offense. If you know you want a three receiver set with two wide-outs on the strong side, line the slot up on the weak and motion him over. At least Flacco and the receivers will get information about the coverage before the snap.

I went back and watched the All 22 last night.

On the strip sack there was no one open. Flacco held the ball for three seconds and was about to take off or just take a sack when he got hit.

The Steelers D was in 2 man under with a 3 man rush, which means safeties deep covering each half and 6 players in man coverage underneath. Oher was beaten cleanly by Harrison.

Flacco was throwing off his back foot all night. There was at least 6 or 7 plays that were designed to be sideline throws. The Steelers did not blitz at all on these early down throws which left their OLB's shooting underneath these routes. It was easy to see that Joe felt rushed to get the throw off. I thought Cam called a great play in the first quarter to Boldin on a post which Flacco just overthrew. He called it there and never came back to it.

I'm a Joe supporter but he was just off on Sunday. His room for error was very small but he didn't play up to par. We actually ran the ball pretty well. I don't understand why we continued to throw the ball.

One other thing... for Torrey Smith to become a great receiver he needs to improve his "Go Get It". "Go Get It" is when the ball is perfectly thrown and the receiver needs to time his jump and grab the ball at it's highest point. Torrey does not do this. If the ball is a bit under thrown or misplaced he just slows down or bends his route, he is always trying to catch the ball in stride. Sometimes you need to turn and jump and grab that ball.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    Sometimes you need to turn and jump and grab that ball.
    Torrey did that in the San Diego game to basically win the game. Not sure why he wasn't in the Steelers game.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Torrey did that in the San Diego game to basically win the game. Not sure why he wasn't in the Steelers game.
    He does a better job on the fade routes but he never does that on the posts. He has almost allowed two interceptions against the Steelers on this route because he was waiting for the ball to come down while the DB jumped to get the ball at it's highest point.

Blog Entries

I went back and watched the All 22 last night.

On the strip sack there was no one open. Flacco held the ball for three seconds and was about to take off or just take a sack when he got hit.

The Steelers D was in 2 man under with a 3 man rush, which means safeties deep covering each half and 6 players in man coverage underneath. Oher was beaten cleanly by Harrison.

Flacco was throwing off his back foot all night. There was at least 6 or 7 plays that were designed to be sideline throws. The Steelers did not blitz at all on these early down throws which left their OLB's shooting underneath these routes. It was easy to see that Joe felt rushed to get the throw off. I thought Cam called a great play in the first quarter to Boldin on a post which Flacco just overthrew. He called it there and never came back to it.

I'm a Joe supporter but he was just off on Sunday. His room for error was very small but he didn't play up to par. We actually ran the ball pretty well. I don't understand why we continued to throw the ball.

One other thing... for Torrey Smith to become a great receiver he needs to improve his "Go Get It". "Go Get It" is when the ball is perfectly thrown and the receiver needs to time his jump and grab the ball at it's highest point. Torrey does not do this. If the ball is a bit under thrown or misplaced he just slows down or bends his route, he is always trying to catch the ball in stride. Sometimes you need to turn and jump and grab that ball.
    good post, I remember one play where we really needed to convert and he threw it short to Torrey on the sideline. If he'd just come back toward the ball he would've had it uncontested. But Joe did sail some balls last week. The pass D this weekend is much less stellar so I'm hoping he takes advantage.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I noticed a few Steelers defenders coming low at Joe. He was spooked b/c of it. I think that's why he was throwing off his back foot and thus the ball sailing high. If he stepped into his throws like he should of, Joe might have gotten hurt ala Pollard/Brady. Still probably wouldnt have gotten a personal foul.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    A pass thrown too high on a sideline pattern falls harmlessly out of bounds. A pass thrown too high in the middle of the field has PICK ME written all over it. Y'think there maybe might be a reason Cam doesn't call routes over the middle?
    Yet his stats over the middle are far better than they are outside the hashmarks. So that doesn't hold water.

He does a better job on the fade routes but he never does that on the posts. He has almost allowed two interceptions against the Steelers on this route because he was waiting for the ball to come down while the DB jumped to get the ball at it's highest point.
    Torrey didn't almost allow 2 interceptions. They were horribly underthrown balls by Flacco. You can't expect your receiver to run full speed, stop, comeback to the ball, and locate it when he's running a post route.

Torrey was beating his man all day. Joe just couldn't get the ball to him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    Torrey didn't almost allow 2 interceptions. They were horribly underthrown balls by Flacco. You can't expect your receiver to run full speed, stop, comeback to the ball, and locate it when he's running a post route.

Torrey was beating his man all day. Joe just couldn't get the ball to him.
    Except for when Joe threw a pass that hit him in the hands in the end zone and he dropped it.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Except for when Joe threw a pass that hit him in the hands in the end zone and he dropped it.
    Or when Joe throws a good ball and Torrey stops his route cold and just turns around.