Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New OC? Who?

Blog Entries

Re: New OC? Who?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    I will throw this question out.
    Does anyone have knowledge of a great offensive mind in the college ranks that is ready for a move to the NFL?
    Someone who runs the no huddle?
    But has his receivers run a host of routes and formations to help the receivers gain separation???
    We have the skill players. We need to improve our offensive line.

Chip Kelly, but rumor has it that the Eagles are scoping him out for Andy Reid's replacement.

Bill O'Brien might want to get back up to the NFL as well. I've read several things that he isn't married to staying at Penn State because of everything that happened. It would seem that due to the restrictions levied by the NCAA, it would be impossible for Penn State to meet the initial criteria of Bill O'Brien when he signed there. I'm sure many would make it out to be a coward move, but he was being considered for HC jobs prior to taking the Penn State job.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Not sure how I feel about taking a college coach and turning him into an OC (or that any successful college HC's would take a coordinator job...even if it's in the pros unless they were following another college HC to the pros).

But one guy I always liked was Jeff Tedford who just was fired stupidly by Cal.

I don't know about his work with WR's, but he has been a magician with QB's and turned some mediocre/bad QB's intpo high draft picks...from Trent Dilfer to Akili Smith to Joey Harrington to our very own Kyle Boller to Aaron Rodgers. The man knows QB's and how to get the best out of them.
    At worst, he'd be an excellent addition as a QB's/WR coach. He couldn't be worse than Jeff Hostler.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Discussed this a couple of months back and still like Joe Lombardi. Marty or Brad make sense though. I could live with Brad.
    I love the idea of Joe Lombardi. Brees exercised the ghost of Cam and became a great player once Lombardi coached him up. He also started in the NFL as a defensive assistant so we are talking about a very well rounded coach. It's just too bad he never coached or played with any member of the Harbaugh family.

Cmon. If we didn't fire Cam when we weren't in the top 10 in the NFL in offense, what makes you think we will now that we are? Harbaugh is a nice coach and all, but he's not the brightest guy around and seems to have this blind loyalty to his staff, whether they are performing or not.

We fired Mattison with back to back top 3 defenses. Primarily because while the results were good, the feeling was that we underachieved and didn't use the talent we had properly. And then Pagano came in and proved it. I think a new OC could do the same thing as long as they merely tweak what's working instead of trying to overhaul the entire set up.

You might disagree but don't act like it would be unprecedented.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Discussed this a couple of months back and still like Joe Lombardi. Marty or Brad make sense though. I could live with Brad.
    Not real interested in Brad Childress or Marty Mornigwheg.

Joe Lombardi could be interesting though. I've always been a proponent of poaching offensive coaches (in particular, QB coaches) from teams that run high-octane offenses.

I actually think Karl Dorrell could be a pretty interesting candidate. He was the head coach at UCLA for a while and took them to a #7 ranking in 2005, finished 10-2 including a Sun Bowl win, and received co-PAC10 coach of the year honors with Pete Carroll. He was a WR's coach and QB coach in Miami and is credited for being a big influence on Matt Moore's season last year. Prior to that he was a WR's coach in Denver under Gary Kubiak. In 2000, Ed McCaffery and Rod Smith combined for over 200 receptions and just shy of 3,000 yards. He is currently the QB's coach in Houston.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    We fired Mattison with back to back top 3 defenses. Primarily because while the results were good, the feeling was that we underachieved and didn't use the talent we had properly. And then Pagano came in and proved it. I think a new OC could do the same thing as long as they merely tweak what's working instead of trying to overhaul the entire set up.

You might disagree but don't act like it would be unprecedented.
    I agree and while the home offense is outstanding (for the most part), the road offense is really worrisome. It supports the argument that the only way the Ravens might be able to get to the SB is by winning home field advantage throughout the playoffs, which is likely out of the question this year because of the loss to Houston. Secondly, the offense still has lengthy moments in a lot of games - not just on the road - where they just can't get a first down to save their lives.

I think that the way the offense plays on the road vs the way they play at home is going to be the ultimate reason why Cam (possibly) gets fired after this season. I hate to say this, but right now I don't see this team getting to the SB because of the offensive inconsistency on the road. It is a HUGE problem and it has been a problem for a few seasons now, but it has been most glaring this season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Cmon. If we didn't fire Cam when we weren't in the top 10 in the NFL in offense, what makes you think we will now that we are? Harbaugh is a nice coach and all, but he's not the brightest guy around and seems to have this blind loyalty to his staff, whether they are performing or not.
    We're not winning the lottery either but it's still fun to buy a ticket and dream.

I really thought that Cam was going to be let go after last year. When it didn't happen I came to the same conclusion that you did. Unfortunately I don't see Cam going anywhere in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I think it will come from the owner.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I don't think Reid will take an OC job. He's been a head coach way too long. He's going to try and get another head coach job this year. He's not going to take demotion. He'll probably get a TV job if no one one is interested in him as the head guy. It's similar to what Coughlin went through after he was fired by the Jags.
    I wonder if he isn't just contemplating retirement. With his son's death and his long tenure there I wonder if starting over with a new team would seem all that appealing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think it will come from the owner.
    I do too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    We're not winning the lottery either but it's still fun to buy a ticket and dream.

I really thought that Cam was going to be let go after last year. When it didn't happen I came to the same conclusion that you did. Unfortunately I don't see Cam going anywhere in 2013
    Don't you think that the offensive road issues would be enough to really make Steve Bisciotti sit down and think that they need to get better here? This isn't just a once in a while issue. The Ravens suck on the road offensively and if it were not for last minute heroics, they would have lost the Chargers game as well. I'm not saying that the Ravens should or should not be 9-2, they are and it's great. However, there is far too much money being spent (and going to be spent) on the offensive side of the football for them to not be performing better on the road.