Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New OC? Who?

Re: New OC? Who?

Who would be opposed to the Ravens maintaining the same system and coaxing Tom Moore out of retirement?
    I think their should be near 100% agreement that if someone could lure him out of retirement we would all be for it. I highly doubt it happens, but it could be fantastic if it were to.

I think those of you wanting Caldwell will be very disappointed.

If you want a diverse, scheme based offense...that's far from what they ran in Indianapolis. If you hate hearing the words "execute", you wouldn't like the same offense they ran there.

The Colts ran a very basic offense...and succeeded because they had one of the best QB's in NFL history who was as big a perfectionist as sports has ever seen and the few plays they ran were perfected.

They rarely used much motion and never even flipped the WR's to opposite sides of the field.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

If you want a diverse, scheme based offense...that's far from what they ran in Indianapolis. If you hate hearing the words "execute", you wouldn't like the same offense they ran there.

The Colts ran a very basic offense...and succeeded because they had one of the best QB's in NFL history who was as big a perfectionist as sports has ever seen and the few plays they ran were perfected.

They rarely used much motion and never even flipped the WR's to opposite sides of the field.
    I won't be disappointed, because I don't think we need a scheme diverse system here. All that I think we need is a few shorter routes to set up the deeper passes, Instead of just going 'deep or check off'. Hitting Torrey on the stop, before hitting him on the stop and go. That's all that we need, in my opinion, other than a nice sized WR and development on the O-line. I think that it would all come together. Oh, and just some better in game adjustments on a consistent basis.

I think that Caldwell can provide that.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

4. Re: New OC? Who?

The Colt's offense under Moore/Manning/Caldwell may have been simple in how few plays were used, but the execution of the offense was anything but simple.

Look at how many read-and-react routes were used:
    http://smartfootball.com/offense/pey...-colts-offense

As for Tom Moore's philosophy:
    Despite being one of the NFL’s best offenses for over a decade, and despite having coached offense for close to fifty years at both the pro and collegiate levels, Tom Moore’s offense was undoubtedly the simplest in the NFL. Obviously having Peyton Manning as quarterback and symbiotic on-field co-offensive coordinator didn’t hurt, but Moore recognized that having ten different ways to do the same thing isn’t confusing the defense, it is merely having ten different ways to do the same thing. As he explained, football coaching is often about not letting your coaching get in the way of the players playing:

“There are lots of systems, there are tons of systems,” Moore said. “But the trick is no systems, the trick is players and making sure you take something that the players can do and not get into, ‘Well, this is mine and this is what we’re going to do.’ It’s what’s best for the players.
    Quoted from source:
    http://smartfootball.com/gameplannin...k-jets-offense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

Which is why anointing Caldwell as the new OC doesn't give me warm and fuzzies at all. I'm sure the man as a tremendous amount to offer to this offense because of his experience with Tom Moore and Peyton. We can already see some things in Flacco. I'm just not sure what kind of a game planner/play caller he'd be. That also begs the question, would that really be necessary? Torrey will be in his 3rd year, Flacco in his 6th year, Rice in his 6th year, Pitta in his 4th year...would they really need a guru play caller? Would they really need some incredible innovator? Or, do they just need someone who understands how to work with the flow of the game, play to player's strengths, and make in-game adjustments on the fly?

I think that's really what they need to ask themselves.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    The Colt's offense under Moore/Manning/Caldwell may have been simple in how few plays were used, but the execution of the offense was anything but simple.

Look at how many read-and-react routes were used:
    http://smartfootball.com/offense/pey...-colts-offense

As for Tom Moore's philosophy:

Quoted from source:
    http://smartfootball.com/gameplannin...k-jets-offense
    That's basically what I said.

They didn't run a bunch of fancy, stuff...just outstanding execution by one of the greatest QB's ever...a QB who hid MANY deficiencies of his offensive line, and even running backs to an extent (especially after James left).

That can't really be replicated.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Which is why anointing Caldwell as the new OC doesn't give me warm and fuzzies at all. I'm sure the man as a tremendous amount to offer to this offense because of his experience with Tom Moore and Peyton. We can already see some things in Flacco. I'm just not sure what kind of a game planner/play caller he'd be. That also begs the question, would that really be necessary? Torrey will be in his 3rd year, Flacco in his 6th year, Rice in his 6th year, Pitta in his 4th year...would they really need a guru play caller? Would they really need some incredible innovator? Or, do they just need someone who understands how to work with the flow of the game, play to player's strengths, and make in-game adjustments on the fly?

I agree. I'm not saying I would hate them hiring Caldwell, but I think way too many posters here are giving him credit for Peyton Manning's success and that Colts offense.

I'd rather go after a guy from the Shanahan/Kubiak coaching tree to be honest.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

DeputyDawg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Great point, and if Cam wins the SB with us this year, no one will remember this thread. lol

Blog Entries

http://prod.www.ravens.clubs.nfl.com...7-4338d9a8258c

While it has been in Offensive Coordinator Cam Cameron’s system for years, the hurry-up has been influenced by Quarterbacks Coach Jim Caldwell.

Caldwell, quarterback Peyton Manning and the Colts often used the hurry-up offense in Indianapolis.

“Jim’s brought some nuances,” Head Coach John Harbaugh said. “He’s brought a tempo or two we didn’t have before, just some methodology, I think, to it that he’s really added.”

I'd be fine with making Caldwell the OC or if possible bringing in Tom Moore.

Blog Entries

Any interest in Pat Shurmur? I admittedly haven't watched a ton of Browns games, but they seem to be better than they should be in the few times I've seen them, given their talent or lack thereof offensively.

I would prefer to look outside the organization if Cam goes, possibly to a new system entirely. This is a tough question because generally you don't see lateral moves, i.e. a O-Cord somewhere else coming here to the same position. I'd look deeper into teams coaching trees and see if I could find a hidden gem somewhere or even at the collegiate level. Think a guy like Chad Morris couldn't bring some excitement to this offense?
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

DeputyDawg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    http://prod.www.ravens.clubs.nfl.com...7-4338d9a8258c

While it has been in Offensive Coordinator Cam Cameron’s system for years, the hurry-up has been influenced by Quarterbacks Coach Jim Caldwell.

Caldwell, quarterback Peyton Manning and the Colts often used the hurry-up offense in Indianapolis.

“Jim’s brought some nuances,” Head Coach John Harbaugh said. “He’s brought a tempo or two we didn’t have before, just some methodology, I think, to it that he’s really added.”

I'd be fine with making Caldwell the OC or if possible bringing in Tom Moore.
    Look at his work in Indy, take Peyton away and he couldn't muster 3 wins the whole season. No thanks, we can win without him, he adds very little if anything to a team that is already a winner.

As much as people love bitching about the offense, do you guys have any idea how many bumps and bruises we'll have to endure AGAIN for multiple seasons while we switch systems?

We finally have an offense that can be unstoppable, all we have to do is tweak our road game plan to match our home performance and we're a top 3 offense. Hell, we already have a top 10 scoring unit. We're close. We need a tweak, not an overhaul.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

DeputyDawg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    As much as people love bitching about the offense, do you guys have any idea how many bumps and bruises we'll have to endure AGAIN for multiple seasons while we switch systems?

We finally have an offense that can be unstoppable, all we have to do is tweak our road game plan to match our home performance and we're a top 3 offense. Hell, we already have a top 10 scoring unit. We're close. We need a tweak, not an overhaul.
    Thank You, well said; I agree 100%.