Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

si.com compares home Joe vs. road Joe

I just found this on si.com, and it's a fairly interesting article on a topic of some debate around here:

http://nfl.si.com/2012/11/28/break-i...?sct=nfl_wr_a3

Re: si.com compares home Joe vs. road Joe

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    I just found this on si.com, and it's a fairly interesting article on a topic of some debate around here:

http://nfl.si.com/2012/11/28/break-i...?sct=nfl_wr_a3

Makes sense to me. We certainly do much better (on the road especially) when there is nothing to lose, i.e. the game situation absolutely requires aggressiveness, i.e. late in game and down on scoreboard.

Blog Entries

Interesting article. I'd quibble that the o-line doesn't play quite as well on the road as at home, based on my own eyeball test. But the author makes a strong case that Flacco plays differently and makes different decisions on the road compared to at home.

I hope this is something the coaches are tracking and working with him. It's also a strong argument for having a QB coach: someone who can focus on the position and work with the players directly, instead of mixing it in with trying to integrate the offense as a whole.

Blog Entries

Good point. CONFIDENCE is the difference between great men and average men. Flacco just doesn't have alot of it. At home it's nice and easy, communication is easy, you're in front of your fans and everyone is much more relaxed. On the road he lets the pressure get to him. OR maybe it's the coaching staff? Maybe on the road they stress Flacco out, maybe with the whole don't screw whatever up?

Bottom line, Flacco plays like a top 5 QB when he's allowed to just sling it, without anyone in his ear and just a "go do your best son". Put the pressure on and he's a bottom 5 QB. Maybe Cam and Co should take notes. leave the guy alone.

Great article. In a way, it's oddly comforting to think maybe we just have one big problem, rather than a hundred little ones.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Good point. CONFIDENCE is the difference between great men and average men. Flacco just doesn't have alot of it. At home it's nice and easy, communication is easy, you're in front of your fans and everyone is much more relaxed. On the road he lets the pressure get to him. OR maybe it's the coaching staff? Maybe on the road they stress Flacco out, maybe with the whole don't screw whatever up?

Bottom line, Flacco plays like a top 5 QB when he's allowed to just sling it, without anyone in his ear and just a "go do your best son". Put the pressure on and he's a bottom 5 QB. Maybe Cam and Co should take notes. leave the guy alone.
    The problem I have with this analysis is that- on the road- Flacco's played his best when the pressure is greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    The problem I have with this analysis is that- on the road- Flacco's played his best when the pressure is greatest.
    That was my greatest qualm, as well.

But I think maybe Justaslow was referring more to general pressure (i.e., whole game-related) than specific situational pressure (i.e., drive for the win-related). We have seen time and again that situational pressure means little to Flacco. General pressure from the coaching staff is what seems to wear on him/affect his decision-making.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

I think it has little to do with Flacco himself, and far more to do with the offensive line. Far too many times we see him getting harried, and also guys not getting open at all on the road. At home, receivers seem to get hugely wide open.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    I think it has little to do with Flacco himself, and far more to do with the offensive line. Far too many times we see him getting harried, and also guys not getting open at all on the road. At home, receivers seem to get hugely wide open.
    lol comon man, don't start the blame culture on everyone else but Flacco. I'm a Flacco guy my self, but even when he has a clean pocket on the road, he often misses on a bunch of passes, like the one to Pitta as shown in this great article.

But Flacco played more like he did at home as the game wore on, and I wish he played like that in all road games, because we could be unstoppable with this defense improving every week. Washington will be a big test for that.
    Last edited by leachisabeast; 11-29-2012 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    lol comon man, don't start the blame culture on everyone else but Flacco. I'm a Flacco guy my self, but even when he has a clean pocket on the road, he often misses on a bunch of passes.
    Thats because most of those passes are on out patterns in a C-hair window to complete them. If he does not throw them high they get picked. That is the design. Not the QB

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    Thats because most of those passes are on out patterns in a C-hair window to complete them. If he does not throw them high they get picked. That is the design. Not the QB
    Wait so that play where Pitta was open down field was on Cam somehow? That was simply an over throw by Flacco, go look at the pictures again, I'm not sure what could be more clear.

Now if we're addressing Cams play calling, as I've seen you post before, it's not so much the play calling, it's the system and those long ass developing routes, that's the problem here. You can't just have your QB sit back and wait for someone to get open, our Oline would need JO back at LT and a bunch of all pro's to do that in todays league.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    lol comon man, don't start the blame culture on everyone else but Flacco.
    See, now I said I thought the problem was more with the offensive line, and yet somehow you read this as I am saying that Flacco is not to blame at all.

How and why do things like that always get so misconstrued on this forum? I never said Flacco wasn't also to blame. I just feel that the larger issue is the offensive line.