Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: si.com compares home Joe vs. road Joe

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Wait so that play where Pitta was open down field was on Cam somehow? That was simply an over throw by Flacco, go look at the pictures again, I'm not sure what could be more clear.

Now if we're addressing Cams play calling, as I've seen you post before, it's not so much the play calling, it's the system and those long ass developing routes, that's the problem here. You can't just have your QB sit back and wait for someone to get open, our Oline would need JO back at LT and a bunch of all pro's to do that in todays league.

LMAO Tom Brady last week sailed 4 or 5 passes way over the heads of the recievers. Guess he sucks ass also. Joe makes bad throws, but he has made many HOLY FUCKING SHIT are you kidding me passes also. Thread the needle, Drop it in the bucket, The best of which was to Ray Rice over top of a CB that was much taller.

Picking that one pass over Pitta's head is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Ya gonna LOSE!

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    That was my greatest qualm, as well.

But I think maybe Justaslow was referring more to general pressure (i.e., whole game-related) than specific situational pressure (i.e., drive for the win-related). We have seen time and again that situational pressure means little to Flacco. General pressure from the coaching staff is what seems to wear on him/affect his decision-making.
    This. Was tired so didn't type it how I meant it,lol. Thanks.

IMO it's just a "here we go again" mentality for the entire offense.

You generally see each part of the offense failing at different times throughout a drive.
    We try to run on first and get stuffed. They we try to pass on 2nd and we have a drop, or the pass sails high.
    Then on 3rd the RT gets beat immediately and no one is open quickly.

While it all falls on the QB it is hardly his fault entirely.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Blog Entries

For whatever reason, when Joe goes into a 4 minute or 2 minute hurry up offense on the road, he's almost unbeatable. Look at the last year in Pittsburgh or the year before in Pitt or the last part of the AFC championship game. You gotta wonder if Joe get's more leeway in that he gets several plays to pick from, and he just calls what he wants at the line. Also, I think Joe is definitely a rhythm QB. Once he starts stringing some completions together, he gets hot and keeps things moving.

My opinion is that everyone, including the author of the Sports Illustrated article, has completely the wrong perspective on Joe's confidence. Does he have a confidence problem that seems exacerbated on the road? Yes, I think so, nobody is wrong about that. But what everyone has overlooked or mis-attributed is where that confidence problem lies exactly. Anybody who ever listens to Flacco knows he has a lot of confidence in himself. I would suggest that his confidence problem lies with his teammates. He doesn't trust that O line to hold. It's not that he doesn't trust HIMSELF, no, that's not why he doesn't stay in the pocket, step to the side, wait for the receiver to get open, make the play happen. No, no, no. He doesn't trust his O line. He doesn't have CONFIDENCE that the O line will protect him long enough to wait for that play to develop. And I believe the reason he doesn't have that confidence on the road, but does seem to have it at home, is because there is an actual, true discrepancy in the O line's performance on the road versus at home. On the road, we don't seem to do a good job of disguising the play, and we do an even worse job at disguising the snap count. This leads to the defense seemingly knowing exactly where to come at the QB, and exactly WHEN to come at the QB. So in the end, I would say that the blame lies mostly on whoever is responsible for keeping the play and the snap a mystery to the defense on the road.

Play Calling
    Play Calling
    Play Calling
    Play Calling
    Play Calling
    Play Calling
    Play Calling
    Play Calling
    Play Calling
    Play Calling
    etc., etc., etc,!

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    Play Calling
    Play Calling
    Play Calling
    Play Calling
    Play Calling
    Play Calling
    Play Calling
    Play Calling
    Play Calling
    Play Calling
    etc., etc., etc,!
    I will add this...because I think this is a bigger part of the problem...Play design.
    When the play design does not fit the players' strengths or help put them in the best position to succeed, it will not matter what play is called.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    I will add this...because I think this is a bigger part of the problem...Play design.
    When the play design does not fit the players' strengths or help put them in the best position to succeed, it will not matter what play is called.
    Someone needs to post the stats of which part of the field is being used for passes. I saw one where the sidelines were in the 60's and the middle was in the teens.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Someone needs to post the stats of which part of the field is being used for passes. I saw one where the sidelines were in the 60's and the middle was in the teens.
    Yes, I would be interested in that, too.
    So many fans have complained about the same things for years.

We know that many times, the routes are not run to the 1st down sticks, so the player has to make a great individual effort to get the first.

We know the receivers, for years now, regardless of their age, experience, size, or speed, CANNOT get separation.
    That means each receiver, when the ball is thrown towards him into that tiny little window Joe has to work with, each receiver has to fight for the ball or make a spectacular catch on what should be just normal plays.

We also know that every week, we all see opposing offenses use different formations and rubs and pairings of receivers to naturally gain separation without breaking the rules, helping the receivers, as well as, the quarterback succeed. And many times, those opposing players are not as good as our current roster.

I believe, that with this group of offensive skill players, there is not one team in this league that should be able to shutdown our offense.
    If our receivers were running free with at least 3 yards separation like every other team in the league, we would see Joe simply flourish.
    He wouldn't need 5-6 seconds to find a receiver who has position but no separation and then try to fit the ball through the defender's ear hole to get it to his receiver.

This is what I see week in and week out.

Now, opposing defenses have figured out to flip their safeties and corners to undercut Joe's out passes and yet cover our speed guys over the top.
    Cam did not figure this out, nor did his coaches upstairs tell him.
    Yet, that is what the Steelers did the entire game the week before...
    so, the Chargers, who actually watch tape, did it, too.
    It took Boldin, during last game to tell Cam about it before anything changed and THEN in the second half, starting using other parts of the field and Joe starting having success.

These are the things that frustrate the fans who see the same thing every week, while the coaches continue to live in a bubble cut off from the outside world, and relentlessly run the same plays that other teams are sitting there waiting for.

I don't buy into the "confidence" argument, because we've *all* seen that when the pressure is on then Joe plays his best.

I don't know what accounts for the difference but I suspect it has to do with scheme & play calling, as others have said.

If Joe played consistently poorly *within* games on the road I might buy into this story of home Joe/road Joe, but anyone who watches Ravens football knows that within a game you will see "home Joe" on the road sometimes, particularly in the 2 minute offense.

I don't know what's really going on, but I am (still) skeptical of the home/road distinction & backseat psychiatric analysis of Joe. I think it's something else, perhaps related to the road scheme & play calling. Perhaps not.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Now if we're addressing Cams play calling, as I've seen you post before, it's not so much the play calling, it's the system and those long ass developing routes, that's the problem here. You can't just have your QB sit back and wait for someone to get open, our Oline would need JO back at LT and a bunch of all pro's to do that in todays league.
    Those long developing plays kill a mediocre offensive line. Makes them look worse than what they are.

Part of the reason why nobody is a fan of Cam.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Those long developing plays kill a mediocre offensive line. Makes them look worse than what they are.

Part of the reason why nobody is a fan of Cam.
    :word

Even when we had the best line in the league from 08 to 09 they struggled in pass pro with this system.