Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 145
  1. #16

    Re: Ravens Near Mutiny / Yahoo Story



    That kind leadership and bonding session can definitely help teams, but I would argue not every team, and it is a very tricky thing to accomplish, so kudos to Harbs.

    On some teams, especially teams that are not quite as good, and/or lack the respected veteran leadership, that kind of "everyone is equal" atmosphere can lead to blame-game distractions, where a more firm hand might keep things together. But the Ravens are good, and do have veteran leadership (player-coaches almost), so the risk of an inmates-running-asylum kind of implosion is almost non-existent.




  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,735

    Re: Ravens Near Mutiny / Yahoo Story

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    agreed. Adversity and then bonding and strengthening by overcoming such a thing is typically a catalyst for teams that carries them.
    Also very important to have each member of a team to have a voice and feel their opinion matters. Seeing it in my work experience nothing fractures a team environment when 1, just one, ONE person, feels they're voice is not heard or doesn't matter.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  3. #18

    Re: Ravens Near Mutiny / Yahoo Story

    Awesome awesome read. I'm more than convinced that we have the right Harbaugh. There's nothing easy about dealing with decorated veterans and strong personalities and this story proves that Harbaugh just has great people skills.
    And the part about Cam pushing for the no huddle? Really? If that's true then I might have back off Cam a little.




  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,400
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ravens Near Mutiny / Yahoo Story

    I have mixed feelings about this. I love what Harbaugh is able to do with social relationships. I am troubled about how practicing in full pads could have instigated this.

    Yeah in High School I didn't like practicing in full pads (which also meant knee, thigh, hip, and butt pads unlike NFL players) but I just accepted that it was something you have to do. Our team at JMU practices in full pads two days a week. The new rules in the NFL only allow so many full pad practices. Having the shoulder pads on for a day cannot be that catastrophic of a difference.

    I just wish I could hear everything that was said. I will be wondering that... forever. Or until we get to see America's Game: The Story of The 2012 Baltimore Ravens.




  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Where Ravens Fans Roam Free
    Posts
    1,983

    Re: Ravens Near Mutiny / Yahoo Story

    Great article, but I have to call BS on this Harbaugh quote:

    "I've got a rule: I never, ever, ever hold a grudge," Harbaugh said. "And I kind of have a rule that nobody else is allowed to hold a grudge, either. There are no grudges. We're a bunch of guys. We don't hold grudges. Right? We move on."
    Harbaugh most definately has a doghouse, which I would equate to holding a grudge.




  6. #21

    Re: Ravens Near Mutiny / Yahoo Story

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Great article, but I have to call BS on this Harbaugh quote:



    Harbaugh most definately has a doghouse, which I would equate to holding a grudge.
    I'm not sure about that. Are you suggesting that someone doesn't play because Harbaugh has a grudge against them?




  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,735

    Re: Ravens Near Mutiny / Yahoo Story

    Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I'm not sure about that. Are you suggesting that someone doesn't play because Harbaugh has a grudge against them?
    I think it's Harbaugh has a doghouse for someone who doesn't put in the effort in practice... that's about all I see.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,124
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ravens Near Mutiny / Yahoo Story

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I think it's Harbaugh has a doghouse for someone who doesn't put in the effort in practice... that's about all I see.
    This.




  9. #24

    Re: Ravens Near Mutiny / Yahoo Story

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I think it's Harbaugh has a doghouse for someone who doesn't put in the effort in practice... that's about all I see.
    That's exactly what I was implying in my last post to Dirt. Harbaugh fields the best 45 players on gameday not because he likes him but because they play like Ravens (i.e production, good practice habits etc).




  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Where Ravens Fans Roam Free
    Posts
    1,983

    Re: Ravens Near Mutiny / Yahoo Story

    Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I'm not sure about that. Are you suggesting that someone doesn't play because Harbaugh has a grudge against them?
    I think Harbaugh plays favorites. He elevates guys he likes and sidetracks guys that he doesn't like. That could be due to real or perceived lack of effort during practice by players or due to the personality of certain players. My point is that some decisions that Harbaugh makes IMO are not based on performance on the field, but on very subjective criteria. I guess every coach does that to a certain extent, but I read from Harbaugh's quote that he bases his actions on objective criteria, which I disagree with.




  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,476

    Re: Ravens Near Mutiny / Yahoo Story

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I think Harbaugh plays favorites. He elevates guys he likes and sidetracks guys that he doesn't like. That could be due to real or perceived lack of effort during practice by players or due to the personality of certain players. My point is that some decisions that Harbaugh makes IMO are not based on performance on the field, but on very subjective criteria. I guess every coach does that to a certain extent, but I read from Harbaugh's quote that he bases his actions on objective criteria, which I disagree with.
    Curious.

    So what evidence would you say shows that Harbaugh plays this kind of subjective favorites?

    Because when I look at the body of work over time, those who have been in his so-called "dog house" are, in fact, players we now know were, shall we say, not giving 100%.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  12. #27

    Re: Ravens Near Mutiny / Yahoo Story

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Great article, but I have to call BS on this Harbaugh quote:



    Harbaugh most definately has a doghouse, which I would equate to holding a grudge.
    First off, every coach has a "doghouse" for those that aren't practicing hard, are out of shape, late for meetings or miss assignments in games.

    It's not a "grudge" if you are allowed out of the doghouse if you do what is expected of you - see Le'Ron McClain, Ellerbe and McGahee. For others who don't - Gaither, McKinnie - it's also not a "grudge" because they never started doing what you were supposed to be doing.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  13. #28

    Re: Ravens Near Mutiny / Yahoo Story

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I think Harbaugh plays favorites. He elevates guys he likes and sidetracks guys that he doesn't like. That could be due to real or perceived lack of effort during practice by players or due to the personality of certain players. My point is that some decisions that Harbaugh makes IMO are not based on performance on the field, but on very subjective criteria. I guess every coach does that to a certain extent, but I read from Harbaugh's quote that he bases his actions on objective criteria, which I disagree with.
    I disagree with the use of the word "favorites" but will concede that there could very well be a like/dislike component with regards to who's playing or not. However I do believe this component is very miniscule though. At the end of the day if play like a raven you'll be active on gameday with a chance to play and produce.




  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,735

    Re: Ravens Near Mutiny / Yahoo Story

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Curious.

    So what evidence would you say shows that Harbaugh plays this kind of subjective favorites?

    Because when I look at the body of work over time, those who have been in his so-called "dog house" are, in fact, players we now know were, shall we say, not giving 100%.
    The only thing even close to evidence, is, the end of season presser for last year (I think) Steve said he has pressured Harbaugh to play younger unproven guys early instead of waiting till the get closer to the end of their initial contract. He wanted to start getting production while they were cheap, instead of production when they would soon be expensive.

    While that's not a doghouse, that's as close as I can get to a doghouse AKA, being young.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middle River
    Posts
    3,990
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Ravens Near Mutiny / Yahoo Story

    And we have a glimpse of what Steve Bisciotti saw when he decided to hire this new HC....
    that is not an evaluation he can easily convey to the media/fans, but years later we get a glimpse of why Steve is successful because he evaluates people/leadership extremely well.

    Great article, thanks.
    Last edited by Rxdoxx; 11-28-2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: tyop
    To understand paranoid people better, follow them around.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland