Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Corey Graham is auditioning, and it's going well so far...

I don't want to jinx it or anything (although I am the reason that Kruger is now officially getting sacks every week because of my thread a few weeks back LOL...).

Being serious though, Corey has done an outstanding job so far filling in for Jimmy Smith, infact, he's outplayed Jimmy too. Even when Jimmy returns, I doubt he'll get a starting place in the team back until next season. While I wasn't getting my hopes up after Corey abused Bryon Leftwich, he was pretty much flawless against Philip Rivers and matched up well against their decent and big receivers. Despite having a bad year so far, Rivers is still no joke, look what he did to our corners last year.

Cary Williams will be almost impossible to retain next year, and maybe that's a blessing in disguise if we don't resign him, because he is going to cost us 5 million a year or more. If Corey can carry on playing at this level, we may as well say good bye to Cary, and hope that Webb comes back strong from his ACL, and let Corey compete with Jimmy Smith next season for the number 2 Corner position. We will probably need to draft another corner or sign a solid player just to be safe, however, Chykie Brown also had a good game on Sunday in the slot, and we have Chris Johnson who looked good against the Steelers. Asa Jackson is also someone to look out for.

Re: Corey Graham is auditioning, and it's going well so far...

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Chykie Brown also had a good game on Sunday in the slot, and we have Chris Johnson who looked good against the Steelers. Asa Jackson is also someone to look out for.
    Completely agree with your premise, Leach. Graham has been outstanding. He plays outside and slot well in the nickel.

A minor note that could be a positive for the Ravens. Brown plays exclusively on the outside (as of now) in the nickel and he was targeted just once for a 5-yard completion on Sunday. That's Danny Gorrer's 2011 responsibility (backup corner, not initially slated to play at all becomes full-time LCB in the nickel) and against Rivers, that's a terrific result.

Great insight, Leach.

I would be a little wary of Graham based on our history at the position at of late. I think that our situational acquired corners typically do a good job when stepping up for a starter (Fabian Washington, Chris Carr, Frank I-Shall-Not-Say-His-Name, etc.). When those corners were pressed into a regular starting position, they ended up disappointing us.

One could make the same argument for Cary Williams or Foxworth (granted, Foxworth was never a situational corner for us, am I correct?).

I think the Ravens' drafted corners usually do better in long-term than those acquired corners.

I hope so Leach.

Still AMAZED by your Kruger timing and this one seems an easier bet.

Jimmy had surgery so when he comes back I can see them easing him back in on the nickle which will put less pressure on him.

Its really amazing to see Graham has stepped up when forced into this role. There were times Sunday where Rivers just sat in the pocket and had NOBODY open, earlier in the season those would have been long completions but not so much now.
    Last edited by Justlovemybirds; 11-28-2012 at 10:13 AM.

If Graham stands up like Kruger did, can your next thread be about Flacco and how he is about to annihilate everyone's secondary?

Blog Entries

This is what Graham did for the Bears whenever given the chance. He's a balls to the wall kind of player. I love physical corners and they don't come tougher than Corey Graham.

Yeah but Kruger has priced himself out of town. Thanks Leach. Lol

Blog Entries

We'll prob pick up another corner in the draft, but going forwar without CWill isn't going to make me lose any sleep. Still want to see Asa get some playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    Yeah but Kruger has priced himself out of town. Thanks Leach. Lol
    Huh? Two good games and he is due a big ass contract? i don't think so...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    Huh? Two good games and he is due a big ass contract? i don't think so...
    Three games actually. If you count the raiders game, he had an. Int and 2 sacks in that one.