Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Ben Play?

Re: Does Ben Play?

Pouncey could move to guard

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
    Roethlisberger limited, Brown and Polamalu practice fully http://wp.me/p14QSB-6ylL

NFLN had a brief video clip of Ben playing soft toss at practice yesterday. It looked like he was soft tossing water balloons.

I highly doubt he'll magically be ready to play come Sunday. And the Steelers aren't going to stick him out there behind a 3rd string offensive line when he's nowhere near 100%

I saw some footage of this on NFL Network and it was pretty pathetic. Obviously knowing Ben there's always the chance he was hamming it up at the public practice, then launching bombs once the media had gone, but I doubt it. They were the sort of throws you make at the start of a warm up just to rotate your shoulder.

If that's the hardest he can throw it then there's not a chance he plays Sunday. Especially given that the Steelers are one more injury away from going to the nearest Krispy-Kreme to find someone they can stick on the O-Line...

I had a slither of confidence that he would play but after seeing that footage and hearing about the scar tissue not healing, combined with their O-line being in even worse shape than 2 weeks ago, there's no chance they risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    I had a slither of confidence that he would play but after seeing that footage and hearing about the scar tissue not healing, combined with their O-line being in even worse shape than 2 weeks ago, there's no chance they risk it.
    Scar tissue! Scar tissue??? WTF LOL!!! Scar tissue only forms after the healing process. Ligaments/Cartilage take anywhere from six weeks to six months to heal. There isn't any tight scar tissue yet... the pain Ben has is from a dislocated rib and separated SC joint (including 3-4 different ligaments that could be torn). Never mind actually throwing a ball, every time he turns his head that SC joint/Rib moves and hurts (from the torque of the sternocleidomastoid that has attachments at both the sternoclavicular joint and the first rib).

Like I said 3 weeks ago, I doubt we see Ben this year again... and if we do (if he and the Steelers are stupid) he will be next to worthless throwing the ball. But we are talking about a guy who makes millions of dollars and didn't wear a motorcycle helmet. Dumb is as Dumb does.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    Scar tissue! Scar tissue??? WTF LOL!!! Scar tissue only forms after the healing process. Ligaments/Cartilage take anywhere from six weeks to six months to heal. There isn't any tight scar tissue yet... the pain Ben has is from a dislocated rib and separated SC joint (including 3-4 different ligaments that could be torn). Never mind actually throwing a ball, every time he turns his head that SC joint/Rib moves and hurts (from the torque of the sternocleidomastoid that has attachments at both the sternoclavicular joint and the first rib).

Like I said 3 weeks ago, I doubt we see Ben this year again... and if we do (if he and the Steelers are stupid) he will be next to worthless throwing the ball. But we are talking about a guy who makes millions of dollars and didn't wear a motorcycle helmet. Dumb is as Dumb does.
    Well I'm no doogie howser so thanks for the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Well I'm no doogie howser so thanks for the insight.
    Haha... that was no rip on you... Sorry if it came of that way. I've seen the scar tissue thing a couple times now this morning in different articles. It cracks me up. They make it sound like he's healed up and ready to go as soon as he loosens things up.

But the common line of thinking is about 6-8 months for total healing of a ligament. Now that's 100%. He doesn't need 100%. I also know that these guys are elite athletes with all of the technology and miracle treatments on their side, so maybe bump that 30%-40% for a fast healer. If the joint affected is not directly related to what you need to perform maybe you get back out even faster. But this is at the center of a QB's throwing motion.

Just my .02. I'm not Ben's Dr. I'm only going on the information/misinformation we are given.
    Last edited by MinnesotaRaven; 11-29-2012 at 10:59 AM.

If they label Ben as 50/50 chance to play when he's "tossing water balloons", then they must think he's the greatest QB in the history of QB's. Either the injury isn't anywhere near as serious as the media and Ben make it out to be, or the Steelers are desperate for a 10% Ben to outplay Batch.

Blog Entries

Article on CBS Sports about this weekend's games says he's expected to play, but it is the only place I've seen it. I still expect him to play.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Been pretty busy this week and not following the news but my gut tells me if he can give it a try, he will. This is a must win for them if there ever was one

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Ben Roethlisberger (ribs, shoulder) remains unsure if he'll play in Sunday's game against the Ravens.
    Roethlisberger's rib situation has been medically cleared and his shoulder is structurally sound. The question is range of motion and throwing the ball effectively. Per Big Ben, it will come down to arm strength and only arm strength. He'll continue to test that out in practice over the next two days despite still feeling some pain in his shoulder/rib area. Nov 29 - 12:40 PM
    Source: Mark Kaboly on Twitter

Season on the line and now he's been medically cleared?

Yeah, he's playing*

(*on a shit ton of pain killers)