Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries

Re: Sunday confirms to me that the AC offense is simply not a good fit for today's NFL

The problem that you run into trying to run a WC based offense is that our WRs struggle with press coverage.

As to the different types of offense, Martz, Turner, Cameron and Indianapolis all ran/run variations of the Air Coryell. As someone else mentioned earlier, Martz used the screen game as a supplement of the power running. Cameron uses a more vanilla scheme. Turner uses more action with the RB to make space, to set up the deeper routes. Indianpolis also ran a vanilla scheme, with a few modifications. Although they basically ran the same dozen plays over and over, Peyton made it work with his fake audibles, while the team did a better job of using a few shorter routes to set up the deeper ones.

It was basically, stretch run, play action off of the stretch run, slam, play action off of the slam, slant, sluggo, out, out and up, hitch, stutter and go. That's all it was. Peyton just made it work and guys like Harrison and Wayne were great route runners for it.

Believe it or not, even though he was not a coordinator in Indianapolis, Jim Caldwell did call plays as the Head Coach. He has experience calling plays.

Joe is best suited for a Coryell based system. That is where you can really utilize his arm strength and deep accuracy.

There are several issues here.

1.) The WR/TE talent has not completely worked out here. You need to legitimate vertical threats and Torrey was really the first one. Dickson was supposed to be the explosive TE, but he drops passes.

2.) They've been trying to pound Rice like a power back, instead of using him to his strengths. Rice is a guy you need to get to the outside where he can burst through the lane or hit the cutback. Pierce is a power I guy. They can use both effectively, they've just been trying to mix and match and it hasn't worked as well.

3.) They don't use the shorter routes enough to set up the deeper ones

4.) They haven't found a way to supplement the power running when it doesn't work.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: Sunday confirms to me that the AC offense is simply not a good fit for today's NFL

Pittsburgh and Green Bay both run a modified WCO, with vertical elements. Arians runs more of a mixture of AC and WCO. Tennessee uses a run and shoot offense. Buffalo uses a spread.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Not a fan of run and gun at all.

I just saw a crawl on ESPN where it said Joe has the lowest completion percentage in the NFL on throws over 11 yards (40%).

I think it's a direct result of making deep throws too much of a priority of this offense.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Not a fan of run and gun at all.
    Titans fired their OC and brought in Tom Moore as a consultant so the run and shoot is shot ;)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!