Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Terrence Cody looks better

Since the BYE and after a dismal game @ Houston, Cody has quietly improved his game. Cody has been really solid in run defense. Against the Chargers (he had 18 snaps to Kemos 26) it seemed like the Chargers were only gaining 2 or 3 yards on the ground, but when Kemo was in at NT, Matthews was pounding it for 4 or 5 yards.

I don't really call out Harbaugh that often, but what the hell is he doing insisting on starting Kemo every week? It's clear he doesn't have it anymore, and hasn't had one good game this year, he consistently gets over powered by guards and centers.

Re: Terrence Cody looks better

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Since the BYE and after a dismal game @ Houston, Cody has quietly improved his game. Cody has been really solid in run defense. Against the Chargers (he had 18 snaps to Kemos 26) it seemed like the Chargers were only gaining 2 or 3 yards on the ground, but when Kemo was in at NT, Matthews was pounding it for 4 or 5 yards.

I don't really call out Harbaugh that often, but what the hell is he doing insisting on starting Kemo every week? It's clear he doesn't have it anymore, and hasn't had one good game this year, he consistently gets over powered by guards and centers.
    Leach, I know the above was meant as a generalization, but the Ravens allowed 8 for 34 (4.3 YPC) with Cody in and 11/30 (2.7 YPC) with Kemo in. Like you, I also noticed Cody made a couple of good plays, including 2 in a row beginning (Q4, 11:02). Kemo also contributed a MT on that horrible 7-yard run by Matthews.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    Leach, I know the above was meant as a generalization, but the Ravens allowed 8 for 34 (4.3 YPC) with Cody in and 11/30 (2.7 YPC) with Kemo in. Like you, I also noticed Cody made a couple of good plays, including 2 in a row beginning (Q4, 11:02). Kemo also contributed a MT on that horrible 7-yard run by Matthews.
    That really surprises me, but maybe it was just a coincidence. Thanks for the info, but I still think at this point, Cody is the better option as the starter.

Reading your defensive notes, like you, I thought Arthur Jones was our most impressive Dlineman on the day.

Blog Entries

I doubt anyone would disagree that Art Jones has been coming on strong the past couple of games. He seems to be hitting his stride.

He was without a doubt the best defensive player against San Diego.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Cody is going to have a tough time becoming a real NFL starter. There's just something missing with him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Cody is going to have a tough time becoming a real NFL starter. There's just something missing with him.
    Technique.

Just watch him play. He plays ridiculously high, which isn't surprising considering he's almost 6'5". A 350lb man staying low is a lot to ask. Other guys like Wilfork and BJ Raji are able to play with a much lower base because they're both 3-4 inches shorter than Cody. Another thing I've noticed is that he doesn't use his hands very well either. I was watching the Green Bay/NY Giants game and I was really impressed with how fast Raji's hands were. Linemen had trouble getting their hands on him consistently because he was constantly slapping their hands away and getting his hands on their pads. Wilfork is just kind of a freak of nature because even though he is a bowling ball, he has ridiculously quick feet.

At this point, Cody really just needs someone to teach him better technique because it is very easy for centers and guards to just get up under his pads, drive them into his throat, and then drive him back off the LOS. He's huge and that was why he dominated in college, but in the pro's he needs to learn technique.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Technique.
    For years, I think all our D Lineman benefited by practicing alongside Kelly Gregg, who played with some of the best leverage and technique you will ever see. If a coach ever needed a living example of how to stay low, you could just watch Kelly. I know Haloti credited a lot of his early progression and quick learning curve having Kelly around.

Our younger guys this year, especially in the early games, were looking terrible with high hips, bad hand placement, not protecting their legs, etc. Things have been improving lately.

I'm still holding out hope for Cody. If he can really LEARN his craft, he will be a force. He has the athleticism for it, and bodies like his don't come along everyday. But he's gotta LOVE to work on his game.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Technique.

Just watch him play. He plays ridiculously high, which isn't surprising considering he's almost 6'5". A 350lb man staying low is a lot to ask. Other guys like Wilfork and BJ Raji are able to play with a much lower base because they're both 3-4 inches shorter than Cody. Another thing I've noticed is that he doesn't use his hands very well either. I was watching the Green Bay/NY Giants game and I was really impressed with how fast Raji's hands were. Linemen had trouble getting their hands on him consistently because he was constantly slapping their hands away and getting his hands on their pads. Wilfork is just kind of a freak of nature because even though he is a bowling ball, he has ridiculously quick feet.

At this point, Cody really just needs someone to teach him better technique because it is very easy for centers and guards to just get up under his pads, drive them into his throat, and then drive him back off the LOS. He's huge and that was why he dominated in college, but in the pro's he needs to learn technique.
    If he's still having tecnhique issues halfway through his 3rd year that's a big problem. Clarence Brooks are you listening?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Yea, imho, he needs to turn that FLAB into Muscle, and start hitting the weight room in earnest!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Yea, imho, he needs to turn that FLAB into Muscle, and start hitting the weight room in earnest!
    Nonsense. Terrence Cody is in just as good shape as any NT in the league, and has been living in the gym since we drafted him. Size or shape is not the concern with him, it's more on his height and technique that's the issue, as Wicked pointed out, but I think he can overcome those issues.