Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Your comments on our new TV ad are greatly appreciated

We will begin airing this in December...

Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: Your comments on our new TV ad are greatly appreciated

Sweet deal!!!

Congrats TL!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    prepared to <spit> and <swear> at any minute.. blame it on PMS!

NEW AVATAR! I GOT A NEW AVATAR!

Blog Entries

OK, I've watched it several times, & my take is:

Lots of flash & movement, but the visuals are lame, the content is thin, &--worst of all--you don't get the site name out enough. Waste of money.

1) Lame visuals. Most every shot you show is of crowds or a football game at a distance. Your viewer is going to spend the 1.5 seconds s/he sees each shot trying to figure out which game it is, or "do I know any of those people." Yes I understand that the style "pays homage" to the intro for one of the Ravens weekly shows ("Ravens Report" IIRC--I don't watch TV much anymore), but that intro is aimed at creating a mood for the content that follows, not trying to impart information to the viewer (the website name) & persuade them to actually do something (click here).

2) Thin content. There's lots of words on the screen but no information. The one bit of information that's absolutely crucial--the website address--is on the screen for 7 seconds out of 33 when it should be on for 33. All those cheap cheesy cable commercials that we laugh at do one thing right: they get the essential information out there over & over & over again ("Call 800-555-1111. That's 800-555-1111. Call now, 800-555-1111...")

3) "Trust me"--whose voice was that? Garceau? Why should anyone "trust" any announcer that doesn't identify himself?

4) "You've known them as Ravens24x7 for years"--wait a minute, who is your target audience? [I]People who already know about this place??? Why??? I just put "ravens24x7.com" into my browser window--& it redirected here. I just Googled "ravens24x7" & the first site it returned was this one. Anyone who's heard of ravens24x7 & isn't totally incompetent with the Intertoobz can get here easily, & probably already has.

IMHO you've wasted your money to create an ad that won't mean anything to anyone who hasn't already been here & looked for him/herself. Paying to air it will simply throw good money after bad.

Some people take the fun out of Fun Dip ....

I liked it. Clean, tight and lets people know about the change. I must admit, I was down on the new name but it's growing on me and this ad brings it together.

And if you've spent more than a cup of coffee in Bmore, you can recognize Garceau in a heart beat. It's a familiar, friendly voice that will endear folks to the ad even more.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And if you've spent more than a cup of coffee in Bmore, you can recognize Garceau in a heart beat. It's a familiar, friendly voice that will endear folks to the ad even more.
    Exactly! I too am growing used to the name RSR, rather than the old. Congrats TL!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post

Lots of flash & movement, but the visuals are lame, the content is thin, &--worst of all--you don't get the site name out enough. Waste of money.

1) Lame visuals. Most every shot you show is of crowds or a football game at a distance. Your viewer is going to spend the 1.5 seconds s/he sees each shot trying to figure out which game it is, or "do I know any of those people." Yes I understand that the style "pays homage" to the intro for one of the Ravens weekly shows ("Ravens Report" IIRC--I don't watch TV much anymore), but that intro is aimed at creating a mood for the content that follows, not trying to impart information to the viewer (the website name) & persuade them to actually do something (click here).

2) Thin content. There's lots of words on the screen but no information. The one bit of information that's absolutely crucial--the website address--is on the screen for 7 seconds out of 33 when it should be on for 33. All those cheap cheesy cable commercials that we laugh at do one thing right: they get the essential information out there over & over & over again ("Call 800-555-1111. That's 800-555-1111. Call now, 800-555-1111...")

3) "Trust me"--whose voice was that? Garceau? Why should anyone "trust" any announcer that doesn't identify himself?

4) "You've known them as Ravens24x7 for years"--wait a minute, who is your target audience? [I]People who already know about this place??? Why??? I just put "ravens24x7.com" into my browser window--& it redirected here. I just Googled "ravens24x7" & the first site it returned was this one. Anyone who's heard of ravens24x7 & isn't totally incompetent with the Intertoobz can get here easily, & probably already has.

IMHO you've wasted your money to create an ad that won't mean anything to anyone who hasn't already been here & looked for him/herself. Paying to air it will simply throw good money after bad.
    I appreciate the time you've taken to submit this response. I can't say I agree on much of it but I am sharing it with our team because there are some things that we can glean from this to do better in the future.

Thanks as well to the others for sharing their thoughts and well wishes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    I appreciate the time you've taken to submit this response. I can't say I agree on much of it but I am sharing it with our team because there are some things that we can glean from this to do better in the future.
    It's your site & your money.

I would suggest you ask yourself what the ad is supposed to do. If you only want to "show the flag" it's fine--fairly uninspired IMO but hey, one fan's big hit is another fan's personal foul. (I dunno why you'd put resources into that but, again, 'taint my site or my $$$.)

If the idea is to drum up more viewership, you ought to think hard about what demographics you need/want to target & then ask what might appeal to them. We're not zackly your ideal test market--we're already here.

(In fact, you might want to gather/update demographic information from current site members--maybe offer us something for participating that costs you very little, say access to some premium content for a week or so, or a chance to win something a little more valuable--in order to work out where your coverage is thin & who you ought to be targeting. Just a thought.)

The new website does need to be robustly displayed. Otherwise I am OK with it.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

I agree with some of this, so I'll use this as my starting point since it addresses most everything.

I actually liked the visuals. But the site name does need to get get mentioned more. At the beginning it said like 33rd street was... Russell street will be... It should have said russellstreetreport.com will be.

I agree with this. I didn't think it was "bad" commercial, it just didn't tell why I am going here. In depth analysis, filmstudy, breaking news, interaction with other fans, ticket exchange etc.

Minor but, but it is true, someone saying trust me, should say who they are. Most people who watch the Ravens will know who this is, but if there is time to identify who is saying trust me, they should.

This isn't a big deal, it's actually good to mention they've been around, it makes people think it's not something fly by night.
    I wouldn't go this far. I've sold websites and website marketing, and for the most part any marketing is good, as long as there is nothing bad in there.

And there is nothing bad in this, I would just recommend telling people on why they should come here e.g. In depth analysis, filmstudy, breaking news, interaction with other fans, ticket exchange etc. EVERYBODY, ALWAYS wants to know "What's in it for me". I felt this was a good promotion, but it did not answer that question if I was asking myself that. Hope it helps, TL.

As someone who works in marketing, I agree with most things said here. I wouldn't say the money is a waste, but it certainly isn't getting the ROI that it possibly could. The fact that you are marketing is good and you have a very trusted voice to get your message across. This ad will definitely be seen by a good amount of people.

This is an ad revolving around letting the audience know about the change in name; essentially you are marketing to people who already know you exist. What you really should be doing is aiming the message at people who have no idea what ravens24x7 or russellstreetreport are. The way it is now it serves more of a PSA than an ad. As stated before, the actual name of the site isn't stated until a long time into the ad.

Frankly, as someone who works in the industry, you really shouldn't be putting too much money into TV ads, especially as a web-based business like yourself. Nowadays, the impact is diminished, mainly due to the development of DVRs. Consumers can now essentially ignore your message using the fast forward feature. And with a selection of 5,000,000,000,000 different channels, if they don't find the ad to be interesting, they'll just flip the channel.

Your target audience is really on the internet. These are people who are looking for information about the Ravens, looking for blogs, looking for injury info. They aren't looking to the TV for this info, they are looking online. That's really who your main target audience are. Because the people who are smart enough to get on the site, register for the forums, read the pieces, are the ones that a) can figure out that ravens24x7 and russellstreet are the same entity, and b) are smart enough to skip through your TV ads. You want to focus your marketing online so that when people search for Ravens info, they find you IMO.

But as stated before, no marketing is bad marketing. This ad will certainly reach people and will drive some traffic.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time. It shows you care and we'll take these comments seriously. Again thank you!

Blog Entries

My impressions are...

its..
    its...
    its....

It is better than nothing.
    I don't think it be really memorable but it will work

Unfortunate that rsr.com is taken.... RussellStreetReport.com is a lot to have someone retain on a quick exposure. A phrase that long needs a bunch of repititions.

Garceau's voice is ok, the familiarity factor scores points even if the voice isn't recognized.

Reference back to 24x7 is fine, 1- you inform that you are not a newbie but have a solid track record, and 2- the link redirects, so old-timers can find their way back.

My suggestion would be don't flood the airways (burn budget fast).
    On a different area example that has some applications, I have seen carry-out/delivery businesses majorly overextend themselves by firing out a lot of advertizing. The flux of calls comes in and the business is overwhelmed and loses the possibility of repeat customers.

The application for the site is 1-overwhelming the moderators and also 2-overwhelming the posters.
    This site used to have a slower pace, slower in the respect of the speed which threads dropped off page 1.
    Then an influx of people arrived (and I'm not complaining... Leachisabeast, wickedsolo, gota.... are great) just that threads fell a lot faster to pack pages, and it took some learning and getting used to
    If you get a big ad influx, there is going to be adjustments, and the bigger crowd arriving, the more noticable/stressful..... so my advice is don't blitz the media, go slow and steady.... it takes us regulars time to determine who we want to read and who is off the wall
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old