Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The thing that is holding Flacco back....

I don't agree. Against the Browns, Steelers, and now the Chargers pounding the rock often put the Ravens in third-and-six or better. We're better off running behind Oher, but we've gained positive yards running to both sides. Cameron sticking with the run game against the Steelers helped Flacco out in the passing game. He would have been helped even more if we'd install some quicker routes, have more pre-snap motion, and more crossing routes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    What is holding back Joe is Harbs offensive mentality and Cam. Harbs wants to be power running team and does not have personnel. Flaccos oline is worse than the piece meal line the Steelers patch together every year. Birk gets pushed back and the tackles get beat around the edge. LG and LT miss assignments all the time. I have never seen a team that allows free runs at the QB so often. Ben is country strong and is great at extending plays but he also has better receivers and better coordinators calling plays.

No QB can be successful in the Ravens system statistically. I don't know that it will change under Harbs. His brother is doing the same thing in SF. Difference is he has better OC and Oline coaching.

Ravens offense is more effective out of a single back. When they go I formation the middle of the field is crowded. Running game is not good enough to pound it. It leads to 2nd and long. And 3rd and long. Obvious passing downs with a weak oline is a recipe for disaster. The entire offense including Rice has been inconsistent this year. It is not just a Joe problem.

On top of all all that Cam hates slants and crossing patterns. Defenses stop the run and sit on out routes against the Ravens. Not surprising the offense struggles.
    It's funny how you describe the team, you would think we would be 4-7 not 9-2. I didn't ask anybody to name every single flaw on our team, that wasn't the purpose of this thread, I was meerly stating what JOE needs to improve on in his own game, and that's extending the plays, I didn't ask anybody to start blaming every other thing around him. I know that this offensive system is flawed (not anywhere near to the extent that your describing it however), but stick to the topic in hand.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Complaining that Joe isn't as good at escaping sacks and extending plays as Roethlisberger is akin to complaining that Ray Rice isn't as good at driving the pile as Earl Campbell.

Ben is maybe the best QB in NFL history at playing under pressure or with a man hanging off him.

Name me a single QB who can do what Ben does under pressure.
    Not saying he has to be as good as Ben, I'm saying it would be good to see him do what we've seen him do before more often in regards to extending the play. Last year he did a great job playing Indi, he ran out of the pocket and Pitta managed to get open in the end zone, and Flacco hit him.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    It's funny how you describe the team, you would think we would be 4-7 not 9-2. I didn't ask anybody to name every single flaw on our team, that wasn't the purpose of this thread, I was meerly stating what JOE needs to improve on in his own game, and that's extending the plays, I didn't ask anybody to start blaming every other thing around him. I know that this offensive system is flawed (not anywhere near to the extent that your describing it however), but stick to the topic in hand.
    You started a thread with the title "The thing that is holding Flacco back". I gave all my "things" holding Joe back. I did not realize your thread rules were to only reply with what Joe could improve.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    You started a thread with the title "The thing that is holding Flacco back". I gave all my "things" holding Joe back. I did not realize your thread rules were to only reply with what Joe could improve.
    I don't mind it, it's just you were clearly trying to put the blame on everything around Flacco, and forgot to address what this threads purpose was intended for, and that was Flacco's ability to get out of the pocket and extend plays, and why he should do it more than he does. This isn't an anti Flacco thread that warranted the usual people to start reminding us and exaggerating all the flaws in the offense to explain why Flacco doesn't look elite every week.

6. Re: The thing that is holding Flacco back....

Jen has been putting up with that crap since 2008 and always finds a way out of it.
    Big Jen is also built differently than Joe...Jen can handle the hits and he is stronger than Joe, so he can throw off a linebacker, d-lineman, or safety...just sayin'

I don't mind it, it's just you were clearly trying to put the blame on everything around Flacco, and forgot to address what this threads purpose was intended for, and that was Flacco's ability to get out of the pocket and extend plays, and why he should do it more than he does. This isn't an anti Flacco thread that warranted the usual people to start reminding us and exaggerating all the flaws in the offense to explain why Flacco doesn't look elite every week.
    Everything around flacco contributes to his holding back, and the holding back appeared to be the premise of the thread.

From an outsider looking in

Blog Entries

I would like to see him go through his progressions quicker, get more out of pre-snap reads, and not lock onto his primary receiver so much. It seems when good DC's take away his first option, the play breaks down.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Maybe nothing is holding Flacco back? People still keep talking about some higher threshold that Flacco will reach once he fixes various other issues. Why not consider that he is in his fifth season and this is his ceiling? He is an above average QB who can win any football game but doesn't take the game over just by showing up. So he is not Brady or Manning but more like Rivers, Schaub, and Ryan. Seems simpler than coming up with a million external explanations.
    Nobody wanted to address this, because they're all in denial, but I'm not. I think you're spot on with this assessment. It's been 5 years. I think the real Joe Flacco is the Joe Flacco we've all seen. An above average quarterback who is prone to flashes of greatness and also susceptible to look like a complete moron on the field. This is Joe Flacco. Better than anything we've had so far, but Peyton Manning he will never be. I'm okay with that, as long as they dont give him Drew Brees money. You can win with Joe Flacco if you use him effectively, something they've failed to do, most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by itsernst View Post
    Matt Birk has been bullied this year.
    And last year. And the year before that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    Nobody wanted to address this, because they're all in denial, but I'm not. I think you're spot on with this assessment. It's been 5 years. I think the real Joe Flacco is the Joe Flacco we've all seen. An above average quarterback who is prone to flashes of greatness and also susceptible to look like a complete moron on the field. This is Joe Flacco. Better than anything we've had so far, but Peyton Manning he will never be. I'm okay with that, as long as they dont give him Drew Brees money. You can win with Joe Flacco if you use him effectively, something they've failed to do, most of the time.

I agree with you. The Ravens have a real dilemma. If they pay him $100 million, they will he hard pressed to put the necessary pieces around to build a title winner.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreBrawla View Post
    And last year. And the year before that.
    He was pretty good last year, and was one of the best in 2010, watch the tape.