Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

The thing that is holding Flacco back....

It may be Cam Cameron, but let's forget about Cam for one second and talk about Flacco's pocket presence and elusiveness and ability to avoid sacks (or lack of).

Flacco did a good job of this in his rookie year, he seemed a lot more mobile, and could escape pressure or make plays with his legs. Since then, he just looks like a statue out there. He is more of an athlete than people give him credit for, once he gets running, he's off. He isn't Roethlisberger, but he is certainly capable of avoiding pressure more than he does right now. If he could step up in the pocket more often, or get away from sacks, I think his statistics would look better, and he'd complete more passes down field. He could give more time for Torrey to get open down field too.

I believe Flacco has all the tools to break out of the "good" category, and emerge into the "elite" category, but I believe if it's ever going to happen, he's going to have to improve this aspect of his game.

Blog Entries

Re: The thing that is holding Flacco back....

Hard to step up in the pocket when your C is getting pushed back into your lap every down. Just saying. And a undersized Gino isn't the answer either.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Hard to step up in the pocket when your C is getting pushed back into your lap every down. Just saying. And a undersized Gino isn't the answer either.
    This could be more of a long term or next season type move, but I've been talking about Yanda moving to C, with KO moving inside to right guard and keep Jah Reid at left guard. Then draft either a left tackle in the draft which would move Oher to RT, or draft a pure RT and keep Oher on the left side. A lot of variables.

The majority off the sacks yesterday were under three seconds, ko didn't even get a hand on the guy on the sacks he gave up. Nothing a quarterback can do there

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    The majority off the sacks yesterday were under three seconds, ko didn't even get a hand on the guy on the sacks he gave up. Nothing a quarterback can do there
    Jen has been putting up with that crap since 2008 and always finds a way out of it.

Gino Gradkowski seems like the heir apparent to the throne of center. Matt Birk has been bullied this year; I think a mauler at center is needed, and Gino fills that role.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Jen has been putting up with that crap since 2008 and always finds a way out of it.
    Except when he is not playing, which seems to be happening 4 out 10 times and and a W every time.

8. Re: The thing that is holding Flacco back....

Big Jen is also built differently than Joe...Jen can handle the hits and he is stronger than Joe, so he can throw off a linebacker, d-lineman, or safety...just sayin'

This could be more of a long term or next season type move, but I've been talking about Yanda moving to C, with KO moving inside to right guard and keep Jah Reid at left guard. Then draft either a left tackle in the draft which would move Oher to RT, or draft a pure RT and keep Oher on the left side. A lot of variables.
    Mobility needs to be emphasized in the OS for sure. Joe can move...we've all seen it.

WRT the OL, what we need is a solid duo or trio to rely on. Left side, right or middle, I don't care, but right now we don't have two or three adjacent guys that we can count on to blow open a hole, stuff a blitz or seal on a roll-out. I think it will take two additions to get there, b/c like others I don't think Gino is the answer quite yet at C, and both of our T's are weak. I would certainly like us to experiment with Jah-Yanda-KO on the interior during camp and PS.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Ditto.

I never understood that pick.

Complaining that Joe isn't as good at escaping sacks and extending plays as Roethlisberger is akin to complaining that Ray Rice isn't as good at driving the pile as Earl Campbell.

Ben is maybe the best QB in NFL history at playing under pressure or with a man hanging off him.

Name me a single QB who can do what Ben does under pressure.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Complaining that Joe isn't as good at escaping sacks and extending plays as Roethlisberger is akin to complaining that Ray Rice isn't as good at driving the pile as Earl Campbell.

Ben is maybe the best QB in NFL history at playing under pressure or with a man hanging off him.

Name me a single QB who can do what Ben does under pressure.
    Being a drama queen is not being one of the best. Without that defense, Ben doesn't get the opportunities that he has had. He may have been the best two years ago, but his time is dwindling down. He's hurt more all the time and he didn't elude the two defenesive guys who put him out of the game. You can pick and choose what you want about br, but br is older, hurt more often, and is only as good as his receivers make him. Hell. P Manning is great, Brady is great,br is lucky.