Blog Entries

Who covered Gates?

Antonio Gates, 2 receptions, one for 11yds and one for 2yds IIRC he was targeted 13? times? (but I may be confusing yds with throws)

Is Gates hurt? Has age caught up to him? Or did we have somebody step up and play him very well?

Their other TE Randy McMichael caught 2 for 11yds

Was it committee? or has a LB stepped up his pass D?
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Re: Who covered Gates?

Ellerbe and BA seemed to be hip and hip with the TE's for most of the game, I had actually forgotten that BA was at one point our best Cover LB.

Blog Entries

Speaking of ellerbe did he return to the game after being hurt?

Nope, Bynes played a few snaps but BA finished out the game.

Blog Entries

Damn we can't lose another LB

Great question about Gates. I think it's a combination of both. Wear and Tear and sound discplined coverage thruought the day kept him in check.

Blog Entries

Gates hasn't been as much a factor in SD's offense this year.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Gates is not the same. He's still money in the red zone, but he does not stretch the field nearly as well anymore. Too much age and too many injuries.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Ellerbe and BA seemed to be hip and hip with the TE's for most of the game, I had actually forgotten that BA was at one point our best Cover LB.
    Been trying to figure out why he hadn't played a snap on defense for months now. Glad to see that he can just go in there and lock it down in coverage. Just wondering why it took so long.

He's a decent blitzer as well, not as good as Ellerbe but I'd say better than McClain who I don't think has gotten much pressure the entire season.

More BA the rest of the way can only help the 3rd down/nickle defense in my opinion.

Blog Entries

Thanks to link in a post by Uli2001 (called Surf's Up), I learned why Gates was ineffective from a SD site

The defense tells us which pass-catchers are dangerous, and both the Broncos and Ravens gave more extra attention to Gates than they did any other Chargers pass-catcher.

The Ravens were clever about it, using safeties, linebackers and cornerback Corey Graham to create a mixture of double coverages or implied double coverages.

As a decoy, Gates succeeded. Take the 21-yard scoring pass to Malcom Floyd for the Chargers' only touchdown. Gates broadened the throwing lane for Rivers by attracting both Ravens safeties, Ed Reed and Bernard Pollard.

Gates also drew two Ravens on Danario Alexander’s 26-yard reception and was on the opposite flank on the wideout’s 19-yard screen play.
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...antonio-gates/
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

If you play fantasy or look at the stats around the league, there aren't many TE's that are very involved in the passing game this year. The years of TE's getting WR numbers may be a fad that's dying out.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...b-a386dd95a468

Ellerbe expected back this week.

I guess all the D coaches have been working on countering the TEs. constant cycle; offensive innovation (one-back, wildcat), defensive counter.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)