Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: State of the RAVENS address

What if Rice or Pierce fumbled? I know they (or at least Rice) rarely fumbles but it could've happen. Taking a knee all you have to do is secure the QB Center exchange. On running plays there's the exchange, the hand off and the RB has to secure it. Plus they wanted the ball centered in the field. And are backs love to bounce it outside. They could've lost just as many yards on three runs as three kneel downs, if not more.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

As much as I despise Cam the offensive issue is more of a Harbaugh franchise mentality issue. The announcers kept mentioning that Harbaugh wanted to turn this into an AFC North slug fest. The Ravens and Harbaugh have this thought in their minds that they need to be a power running team. They simply do not have the Oline to be a power running team. When they line up in the I formation other teams do not need to sell out to stop the run. This makes passing out of the formation virtually impossible.

This team is more productive when they spread it out with one back. Rice is more productive. Flacco is more productive. Cam is actually more effective calling plays. It opens up the middle of the field and gives Rice room to work. it also opens up the field and gives Pitta and Boldin room to work. When the team goes I formation they have too many runs for little to no gain and passes have to be outside the hash marks because the middle is crowded with defenders.

New England last year and this past weeks game were perfect examples. I formation power running game leads to a lot of 3rd and longs. Lots of sacks and 3 and outs. Team gets down and opens it up with 1 back and the offense moves the ball. Did it early in the season. First sign of issues and the team goes conservative. This does not mean that you become pass happy it just means you run more out of 1 back sets.

Only thing I can say is 2 things.
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    What if Rice or Pierce fumbled? I know they (or at least Rice) rarely fumbles but it could've happen. Taking a knee all you have to do is secure the QB Center exchange. On running plays there's the exchange, the hand off and the RB has to secure it. Plus they wanted the ball centered in the field. And are backs love to bounce it outside. They could've lost just as many yards on three runs as three kneel downs, if not more.
    What if Flacco fumbled the snap? Are you saying they don't have faith in Pierce or Rice?

The fumble meme cuts both ways.

It's not very smart to move backwards when you know you're going to attempt the potential game winning field goal.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    What if Flacco fumbled the snap? Are you saying they don't have faith in Pierce or Rice?

The fumble meme cuts both ways.

It's not very smart to move backwards when you know you're going to attempt the potential game winning field goal.
    I was just saying the chances of a fumble are greater on a hand off vs a kneel down, IMO.

Not not saying they don't have faith in our RBs.

You would have preferred 3 runs and I got no problem with 3 kneel downs. Either way I think Tucker nails the FG, which he did and we got the win.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

I liked the idea of going for it but I hated the slow developing play deep in the backfield. And the time management at the end was very smart; as stated above a tie wouldn't have killed us but it would kill SD

Cam is to blame for the ineptness of the offense for the first 55 minutes, but gets no credit for the team that marched up and down the field in the final 20 minutes. That doesn't make sense to me.

Can you imagine this board if Harbaugh had not run the clock down, and had attempted the field goal on 1st down, and missed, giving SD the ball at mid-field with 2:00 minutes remaining with all their time-outs? HoustonRaven wouldn't have anytime to post because he would be too busy merging all the "Fire Harbaugh" threads (see: message board, Pittsburgh Steelers).

Look. The offense was abysmal almost beyond description the first 3 quarters. The only thing they did somewhat competently is not turn the ball over and make the Chargers drive the length of the field. Whether the blame falls on Cameron, Harbaugh or the players, I am not sure. I am beginning to think it is all of the above. Clearly, the team can move the ball and score, why they are so inconsistent, and cannot get started in the first quarter on the road, is beyond me.

I have absolutely no problems with the clock management at the end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Cam is to blame for the ineptness of the offense for the first 55 minutes, but gets no credit for the team that marched up and down the field in the final 20 minutes. That doesn't make sense to me.

Can you imagine this board if Harbaugh had not run the clock down, and had attempted the field goal on 1st down, and missed, giving SD the ball at mid-field with 2:00 minutes remaining with all their time-outs? HoustonRaven wouldn't have anytime to post because he would be too busy merging all the "Fire Harbaugh" threads (see: message board, Pittsburgh Steelers).

Look. The offense was abysmal almost beyond description the first 3 quarters. The only thing they did somewhat competently is not turn the ball over and make the Chargers drive the length of the field. Whether the blame falls on Cameron, Harbaugh or the players, I am not sure. I am beginning to think it is all of the above. Clearly, the team can move the ball and score, why they are so inconsistent, and cannot get started in the first quarter on the road, is beyond me.

I have absolutely no problems with the clock management at the end of the game.
    Mentioned earlier that Cam is only part of the problem. It is Harbaugh and his conservative mentality that is also holding the offense back. Cam has shown that he can call a better game when the offense is spread out like he did in the 4th quarter and against NWE in the playoffs last year.

I was just saying the chances of a fumble are greater on a hand off vs a kneel down, IMO.

You would have preferred 3 runs and I got no problem with 3 kneel downs. Either way I think Tucker nails the FG, which he did and we got the win.
    Agree. With a hand off you have two exchanges; center/QB and QB/RB. With a kneel down you only have one, lessening the chance of fumble.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable…

There is another theory which states that this - has - already - happened…

"We don't have a town drunk...we all take turns..."

I also like the approach to the end of OT. I actually said to my wife, "Harbaugh is growing as a coach" That ending wouldn't have been possible two years ago because either we'd be out of timeouts, or harbaugh wouldn't have thought of it.

I also love the timeout call in the fourth quarter when one of the DB's was out of position on a critical 3rd and 4 play. I think it was Graham who was shading over to the wrong side of the field and somehow missed the 3 WR's stacked to the other side. Harbs called TO, chargers looked like the ran the same formation, we got the stop and forced the punt which gaves us a chance to tie.

Having Joe take the knee and forcing the Chargers to burn through their timeouts was good smart situational football. The liklihood of a botch snap was much less than a botched handoff or a fumble by either Rice or Pierce.

As to the suggestion that this was the ugliest win I beg to differ. There were a handful I could name.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    So your gonna tell Ray Rice that what he did for us was just luck? Not any average Joe could have done what he did there. Besides, that holding call on Yanda was complete BS, we deserved to convert IMO.
    Hold up!!!!!! When you say average Joe do you mean another running back or a average person off the street? I ask bc when Ray Rice was holding out a lot of people was saying "let him hold out bc running backs are a dime a dozen"
    I got a dime so can someone name the dozen running backs that makes that play on 4th and 29.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    WE DON'T NEED YOUR RESPECT BUT WE WILL BEAT UP ON YOU AND TAKE YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!