Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500


    Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    What if Rice or Pierce fumbled? I know they (or at least Rice) rarely fumbles but it could've happen. Taking a knee all you have to do is secure the QB Center exchange. On running plays there's the exchange, the hand off and the RB has to secure it. Plus they wanted the ball centered in the field. And are backs love to bounce it outside. They could've lost just as many yards on three runs as three kneel downs, if not more.
    What if Flacco fumbled the snap? Are you saying they don't have faith in Pierce or Rice?

    The fumble meme cuts both ways.

    It's not very smart to move backwards when you know you're going to attempt the potential game winning field goal.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    8,265

    Re: State of the RAVENS address

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    What if Flacco fumbled the snap? Are you saying they don't have faith in Pierce or Rice?

    The fumble meme cuts both ways.

    It's not very smart to move backwards when you know you're going to attempt the potential game winning field goal.
    I was just saying the chances of a fumble are greater on a hand off vs a kneel down, IMO.

    Not not saying they don't have faith in our RBs.

    You would have preferred 3 runs and I got no problem with 3 kneel downs. Either way I think Tucker nails the FG, which he did and we got the win.




  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,944
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: State of the RAVENS address

    I liked the idea of going for it but I hated the slow developing play deep in the backfield. And the time management at the end was very smart; as stated above a tie wouldn't have killed us but it would kill SD




  4. #19

    Re: State of the RAVENS address

    Cam is to blame for the ineptness of the offense for the first 55 minutes, but gets no credit for the team that marched up and down the field in the final 20 minutes. That doesn't make sense to me.

    Can you imagine this board if Harbaugh had not run the clock down, and had attempted the field goal on 1st down, and missed, giving SD the ball at mid-field with 2:00 minutes remaining with all their time-outs? HoustonRaven wouldn't have anytime to post because he would be too busy merging all the "Fire Harbaugh" threads (see: message board, Pittsburgh Steelers).

    Look. The offense was abysmal almost beyond description the first 3 quarters. The only thing they did somewhat competently is not turn the ball over and make the Chargers drive the length of the field. Whether the blame falls on Cameron, Harbaugh or the players, I am not sure. I am beginning to think it is all of the above. Clearly, the team can move the ball and score, why they are so inconsistent, and cannot get started in the first quarter on the road, is beyond me.

    I have absolutely no problems with the clock management at the end of the game.




  5. #20

    Re: State of the RAVENS address

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Cam is to blame for the ineptness of the offense for the first 55 minutes, but gets no credit for the team that marched up and down the field in the final 20 minutes. That doesn't make sense to me.

    Can you imagine this board if Harbaugh had not run the clock down, and had attempted the field goal on 1st down, and missed, giving SD the ball at mid-field with 2:00 minutes remaining with all their time-outs? HoustonRaven wouldn't have anytime to post because he would be too busy merging all the "Fire Harbaugh" threads (see: message board, Pittsburgh Steelers).

    Look. The offense was abysmal almost beyond description the first 3 quarters. The only thing they did somewhat competently is not turn the ball over and make the Chargers drive the length of the field. Whether the blame falls on Cameron, Harbaugh or the players, I am not sure. I am beginning to think it is all of the above. Clearly, the team can move the ball and score, why they are so inconsistent, and cannot get started in the first quarter on the road, is beyond me.

    I have absolutely no problems with the clock management at the end of the game.
    Mentioned earlier that Cam is only part of the problem. It is Harbaugh and his conservative mentality that is also holding the offense back. Cam has shown that he can call a better game when the offense is spread out like he did in the 4th quarter and against NWE in the playoffs last year.




  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    OCMD
    Posts
    467

    Re: State of the RAVENS address

    Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I was just saying the chances of a fumble are greater on a hand off vs a kneel down, IMO.

    Not not saying they don't have faith in our RBs.

    You would have preferred 3 runs and I got no problem with 3 kneel downs. Either way I think Tucker nails the FG, which he did and we got the win.
    Agree. With a hand off you have two exchanges; center/QB and QB/RB. With a kneel down you only have one, lessening the chance of fumble.
    .
    .

    There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable…

    There is another theory which states that this - has - already - happened…



    "We don't have a town drunk...we all take turns..."




  7. #22

    Re: State of the RAVENS address

    Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I was just saying the chances of a fumble are greater on a hand off vs a kneel down, IMO.

    Not not saying they don't have faith in our RBs.

    You would have preferred 3 runs and I got no problem with 3 kneel downs. Either way I think Tucker nails the FG, which he did and we got the win.
    I also like the approach to the end of OT. I actually said to my wife, "Harbaugh is growing as a coach" That ending wouldn't have been possible two years ago because either we'd be out of timeouts, or harbaugh wouldn't have thought of it.

    I also love the timeout call in the fourth quarter when one of the DB's was out of position on a critical 3rd and 4 play. I think it was Graham who was shading over to the wrong side of the field and somehow missed the 3 WR's stacked to the other side. Harbs called TO, chargers looked like the ran the same formation, we got the stop and forced the punt which gaves us a chance to tie.




  8. #23

    Re: State of the RAVENS address

    Having Joe take the knee and forcing the Chargers to burn through their timeouts was good smart situational football. The liklihood of a botch snap was much less than a botched handoff or a fumble by either Rice or Pierce.

    As to the suggestion that this was the ugliest win I beg to differ. There were a handful I could name.




  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    So your gonna tell Ray Rice that what he did for us was just luck? Not any average Joe could have done what he did there. Besides, that holding call on Yanda was complete BS, we deserved to convert IMO.
    Hold up!!!!!! When you say average Joe do you mean another running back or a average person off the street? I ask bc when Ray Rice was holding out a lot of people was saying "let him hold out bc running backs are a dime a dozen"
    I got a dime so can someone name the dozen running backs that makes that play on 4th and 29.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    WE DON'T NEED YOUR RESPECT BUT WE WILL BEAT UP ON YOU AND TAKE YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!




  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates
    Posts
    4,492

    Re: State of the RAVENS address

    Luck = preparation + opportunity + talent.

    There was no luck here, this wasn't something pulled out of a hat. Ray Rice earned most of that and Boldin earned a bit, as did the OL and Flacco.

    As frustrated as I was with the playcalling, particularly the QB sneak on 3rd and 1 we telegraphed, the team earned this win. The Ravens had more yards and outplayed the Chargers at key moments.

    Ugly, no. Frustrating for 55 minutes, indeed.




  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Gettysburg, PA
    Posts
    2,959

    Re: State of the RAVENS address

    I am sure I am in the minority here, but to me, NO WIN IS UGLY!!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton




  12. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,742

    Re: State of the RAVENS address

    Quote Originally Posted by teagues View Post
    I also like the approach to the end of OT. I actually said to my wife, "Harbaugh is growing as a coach" That ending wouldn't have been possible two years ago because either we'd be out of timeouts, or harbaugh wouldn't have thought of it.

    I also love the timeout call in the fourth quarter when one of the DB's was out of position on a critical 3rd and 4 play. I think it was Graham who was shading over to the wrong side of the field and somehow missed the 3 WR's stacked to the other side. Harbs called TO, chargers looked like the ran the same formation, we got the stop and forced the punt which gaves us a chance to tie.
    I didn't have a problem with OT clock management, I would have preferred running forward instead of kneel-downs backward but it was not a ton of yards.

    My problem was with clock management at the end of regulation. We took one shot at the endzone with 45 seconds and a timeout left and then settled for a filed goal. That was stupid.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland