Wanna hear the thoughts on dealing with guns from a liberal?
I had lunch with a liberal buddy of mine. Really smart guy but I have to think he's brainwashed as he seems to get his marching orders from Rachel Maddow.
Anyway the subject of Gun Control came up and we talked about things like the meaning of the 2nd amendment, how the UK has banned guns and their gun deaths are lower.
Some of his thoughts were:
- If we ban guns like the UK, violent crime might go up but at least people won't be dying from guns. Does it matter how they die? "Yes"
- We don't need assault weapons (which he didn't know what they were) if people need to defend themselves they can use a handgun. What if there are more than one and I need to shoot them at a range a handgun can't? "Just wait till they get closer"
- The second amendment is for hunting, really, the founders hunted or died, so that's why they wrote bearing arms was "necessary to the security of a free State"...
- The NRA is just a front for the guns companies to sell more guns, despite all the safety training they do and training of law enforcement etc.
- Nobody need more than 10 rounds. I gave him the hit rate of cops shooting at bad guys (26%) and bad guys shooting at cops (11%). So If I need to shoot someone and I am in the middle of those two I would hit someone once may twice. He said "well that's enough to kill them" Maybe, but probably not, this isn't the movies..
Oh and he's never shot a gun and doesn't ever see the need to. He would just call the cops if he had to...
Anyway just thought it was interesting.