Boller was likely drafted higher than he should have been, and his resume was obviously a red flag, but blaming Boller for the Ravens not addressing the other issues that they had (see: lack of pass protection) is prejudiced and self-serving.
Well played Kyle. Pulling the JohnnyU and retiring with the Chargers. :happy: He probably signed with them just so he could retire from the NFL as part of a team. Better than just fading away i guess.
And he rides off into the sunset with a supermodel wife and millions in the bank. He always seemed like a great guy, just not a great QB. Heres to wishing him well.
Thinking back on Kyle Boller's career should make us all appreciate Joe Flacco even more.
Favorite Kyle Boller moment: A nice downfield block he threw on Willis McGahee's long TD run vs the Bills in 07.
I always wanted the kid to do well but man he was the most agonizing QB to watch I've ever seen.
Once, a long while back, I said that if I was coaching in the Superbowl and had to choose between starting Boller or Peyton Manning, I'd take Boller every time. Peyton always chokes in the big games while Boller had a 25% chance of looking like the second coming of Johnny U. True enough there was that 75% chance he'd spaz out, but still...
The Ravens at the time didn't have a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball, but we didn't when Flacco was a rookie. Boller should have been drafted in the second round. That way Billick wouldn't have forced him into action before he was ready, but I honestly don't think Kyle was ever going to make it as a starter in the NFL. His brain and his body just didn't always seem to work on the same page.
EDIT: Yeah, I was one of the biggest Boller-backers. It wasn't until we drafted Flacco and I saw what a really good QB could do with this team that I accepted defeat.
So he signed with the Chargers and retired the very next day --I wonder why he signed with them in the first place.
I was always a Boller backer but in hindsight, that might have partly been because so many people seemed to have such an insanely intense dislike of him. He definitely was not an elite QB but he was tough and a team player.
Good luck Kyle. It was intersesting. I will never question your effort.
I will never forget that cold New England game when they were undefeated. Boller played well and they had the game won... oh what might've been..
Hope he invested well; I wish him the best